PDA

View Full Version : sv8k problem

pup
03-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Been experiencing problems for a few days. Have 2 servers, but keeps freezing and then just stays frozen on that channel and even when you change channels then won't even turn off. Do hard reboots works for a minute or 5 then same old. Is it power supply or is the receiver shot? This has never happened before! Thanks

cheff
03-09-2013, 06:34 AM
Been experiencing problems for a few days. Have 2 servers, but keeps freezing and then just stays frozen on that channel and even when you change channels then won't even turn off. Do hard reboots works for a minute or 5 then same old. Is it power supply or is the receiver shot? This has never happened before! Thanks

Mine does same thing maybe once a day but when I re boot it always clears. Maybe you can try fact default check your fan maybe blow out any dust make sure it's staying cool.

Fishbum
03-09-2013, 08:02 PM
I know what you mean... I have two SV8000 I personally run my self one is great I can leave on and never an issue hardly ever needs rebooting.. the other one does exactly what yours does but not as bad.. If I leave the receiver on and just power off from remote, next day I come back I will have the same issues and have to reboot every time... once in awhile I'll have to do a reboot while I'm watching but not very often. On that receiver I tried a new power board even changed the 8psk. Still does it.
I have moded fans in this receiver to so its not a heat issue. I tried redoing all the software many many times.. did not help,
Never did figure out what causes it... probably just the main board ? I dont know, wish I had an answer to it..

pup
03-09-2013, 11:11 PM
even when i reboot it would freeze everytime after 10 seconds. very unusual had this box for years but today it seems to be fine so i'll see how it goes. thank you guys

ramrod
03-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Just wipe it out completely and start from scratch.

Fishbum
03-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Been there done that..Wipe it out completely and start from scratch does not work.. tried that countless times... factory default, system clean file, factory file, re load all the files.. ect ect... still does it.. on this one receiver I also get the odd time a 2 second black out, picture will black out for 2 seconds and come back right away.. audio stays on just the picture blacks out for 2 seconds and its not a server freeze.... my other SV8000 does not do this on the same server... we've discussed this on another thread thoroughly along time ago.. a conclusion or fix was never resolved...
some receivers do have issues.. just the way it is..

pup
03-13-2013, 05:20 AM
yes, but mine just continues to go out even after i reboot it.
picture comes up for a few seconds and it freezes try to change the channel and nothing and then even the remote won't communicate with the box which is odd. then when the picture comes in no sound and it blacks out again after a bit. so is the box shot or is it the power board or hd board because it tends to do it more with the hd channels more so than the sd ones.
maybe its time just to get a new box

Fishbum
03-13-2013, 06:06 AM
That does sound worse than what my receiver does....
Did you try redoing all the files? First rule out if its software before getting into hardware issues..
Like Ramrod said, start from scratch, factory default, system clean file, factory file, HD20-2028 file, tp/channel list file..
, re scan... worth trying that first if you havent already..
Could be the power board? or the 8psk board ? or both? Some times trial and error is the best way to find the problem..
unplug the receiver from wall, take off the lid, unplug the 8psk power plug from the main power board.. boot up your receiver, see if the receiver is still doing it. If so, it does sound like it could be the power board.. if so its fixable. There is a seller at the famous action site that will repair and refurbish these power boards...

pup
03-13-2013, 06:16 AM
will do, i'll try that also when i turn it off the display board says power off when it should only display the time when i turn it off

pup
03-16-2013, 05:11 AM
ok i disconnected the 8psk board and tried to see if the box would work and nothing it only works with the board connected.
I bought a new board installed it reset, system cleaned twice and loaded files it worked for a little bit and have the same issues with reciever just locking up.
dealer i got the 8psk from tested the power board and thinks its fine and might just think it might be a bad file.
loaded hd2028 file and my channel list and even rescanned and same problem and also don't know if the hd channels are up or not because i'm getting a signal on hd channels but no picture and as of now sd channels are working off and on

Fishbum
03-16-2013, 05:48 AM
The SV8000 receiver will still work with out the 8psk board installed... the 8psk is only for the HD channels...With the 8psk disconnected and your receiver wont work.. that tells us that its some thing other than your 8psk. Sounds like the power board to me. Added note, with out a working 8psk you would'nt be able to scan in any HD channels.. if you loaded a channel list with HD channels in it already, you'd get no quality signal on those channels with out a working 8psk board..
You've tried re doing all the files, so we know its not software related now, its not the 8psk board cause you disconnected it,
that leaves us with the Power board. If your good with soldering there are some good threads on here how to replace some of the problem caps on the power board..

pup
03-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks everybody with the help. Replaced the power board and seems to be working now with the old 8psk board.