PDA

View Full Version : Remote control stopped working on CW4000

chasek77
01-13-2015, 09:14 PM
I had some sort of power surge or something and had to replace the power supply and buy a new compact flash memory, but now everything is working fine except the remote control does not work. It lights up when you press the buttons, but no reaction to the box. It's either the remote control went bad or the PCB IR board in the front is bad.

1) How can I replace the PCB IR in the front?/
2) Where can I buy a 2nd remote control?
3) Will a USB to IR work? I saw them at Fry's, but it comes with a drivers disk, so not sure now to install that on a non-Windows or no-MAC setup.

Kurt

mindbender
01-16-2015, 12:39 AM
If you had to replace the compact flash memory I would start with a do over on the box . Mack a back up disk first . This will save your sat info and iks setup . You will need to put your sc back on. Use 16r1 iso image and then go to 17r2. If it still won't work I would replace the ir bored. Look on the CW site I think there is more info there or you will need to look on the old site with the way back machine . The thread on that is with the cw3000hd info. A harmony 670 remote will work after it is setup.

chasek77
01-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Dear Mindbender,

I have backup disks with all my settings and I went up to 16r1 iso image and then I put the SC back on and everything is working fine, but the remote control still doesn't work. I even tried installing 15 ver 1, which came with the unit and the remote control is not working. The Captiveworks site doesn't have any info on replacing the card or any contact information that I know of.

Are you saying the Harmony 670 will work without me replacing the PCB IR board in the unit? If that is the case, then I would go to Best Buy and try that today. I had to reset my bios settings and it's recognizing a floppy drive. Do I need to turn that off for the PCB IR board to work? Would anything in the bios settings effect if the remote control sensor is activated or is that all software based? I am really stuck here, so any help would be greatly appreciated and rewarded.

jvvh5897
01-20-2015, 05:25 PM
Hum...I know nothing about this box, but in others the IR sensor is a three pin integrated circuit with a photo diode inside and a amp to clean up the signal to get to TTL like levels. The sensor runs on 5 volts typically just like the usb port might share but can be bought in 3.3V versions. If you had an odd enough power fail, the sensor might be bad but you could test that pretty easy--use a capacitor to pin that looks to be not ground or +V and feed it to a audio line-in on a PC (or you could feed it to any line-in on a stereo using capacitor and just listen to the sound). The remotes typically use a carrier on time of about 500 micro seconds and off times of 500 micro sec or 1000 micro sec--that is 2000 Hertz to about 1500 Hertz tones. I've even held AM receivers close to a remote and been able to hear the thing work when a button is pressed, but with a linux based box, I bet there is too much noise generated for you to try that inside the box.

mindbender
01-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Dear Mindbender,

I have backup disks with all my settings and I went up to 16r1 iso image and then I put the SC back on and everything is working fine, but the remote control still doesn't work. I even tried installing 15 ver 1, which came with the unit and the remote control is not working. The Captiveworks site doesn't have any info on replacing the card or any contact information that I know of.

Are you saying the Harmony 670 will work without me replacing the PCB IR board in the unit? If that is the case, then I would go to Best Buy and try that today. I had to reset my bios settings and it's recognizing a floppy drive. Do I need to turn that off for the PCB IR board to work? Would anything in the bios settings effect if the remote control sensor is activated or is that all software based? I am really stuck here, so any help would be greatly appreciated and rewarded.

I was incorrect on the remote , it is a harmony 610 . I would set the bios to stock an try ,then replace the IR bored if that did not work. 4k and 3k have the same mb her is the info from CW sit .

I accidentally disconnected my remote control module.

It is extremely important that you hook up the module correctly or you will fry the circuit!
The red wire of the cable goes to the 5V pins. The missing * represents the missing pin on the motherboard connector. The key is to match the red wire to the pin labeled VBus.

If you go there under frequently asked questions there is remote info also a pic. Of plug in .
You can unplug the box , then push power on for a few seconds then plug in and trie agin . This will reset the CMOS.
You may also want to test the on bored battery or just remove and replace it with a new one.

chasek77
01-21-2015, 06:02 PM
I ordered a USB external IR receiver and was going to try that with my CW4000 remote to see if that fixes the issue. If not, then I will try the Harmony 610.

I have already set the bios to default values and fail safe values and it doesn't work. I need to know who makes the IR board, so then I can order a new one. The numbers on the PCB board dont' show up in Google searches. The motherboard appears to be working fine with no issues.

I think when I was fixing the power supply and the flashcard I accidentally had the wires reversed and maybe fried the PCB board for the IR. Can you send me the link you are using for the Captiveworks remote info? THe voltage on the battery on the motherboard was fine.

I either need the part to replace the IR PCB board or I need to bypass it by getting an Ir external USB receiver and getting it to work with my remote control or the universal remote control that you referenced. I don't think the actual remote control is busted because slingbox on my laptop was changing channels until this happened ,which tells me it's a bad card or wire. Could be a bad motherboard port, but I tried the one next to it and had the same issue. It's basically plugged into a USB1/2/3 jumper.

steven charles
01-21-2015, 08:18 PM
I had some sort of power surge or something and had to replace the power supply and buy a new compact flash memory, but now everything is working fine except the remote control does not work. It lights up when you press the buttons, but no reaction to the box. It's either the remote control went bad or the PCB IR board in the front is bad.

1) How can I replace the PCB IR in the front?/
2) Where can I buy a 2nd remote control?
3) Will a USB to IR work? I saw them at Fry's, but it comes with a drivers disk, so not sure now to install that on a non-Windows or no-MAC setup.

Kurtfriend you can find a replacement remote on ebay,or remotes.com....

chasek77
01-21-2015, 09:50 PM
I searched on Ebay for CaptiveWorks 4000 remote controls and nothing came up. I also tried to find IR PCB boards on ebay that matched mine and nothing. If you can send me a link to one, then I would be glad to purchase it. It's not the remote control that is bad. It's the PCB board located on the front part of the unit. Should I post a picture of it, so we can get some information on who makes it?

jvvh5897
01-22-2015, 07:24 PM
the IR sensors are pretty standard items, but come in many pinouts and for a number of carrier frequencies (your is likely 38 KHz carrier) and for 5V as well as 3.3V. Figuring out the sensor to put in would be pretty easy though--voltage and ground are easy to figure out visually or with the aid of a voltmeter. They cost 1-2 $. Easy to replace.

mindbender
01-23-2015, 01:42 AM
I searched on Ebay for CaptiveWorks 4000 remote controls and nothing came up. I also tried to find IR PCB boards on ebay that matched mine and nothing. If you can send me a link to one, then I would be glad to purchase it. It's not the remote control that is bad. It's the PCB board located on the front part of the unit. Should I post a picture of it, so we can get some information on who makes it?

Fond this and more to come. Not sounding good. Might want to go this way.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
CW4000 & CW3000 Discussion: Best wireless keyboard and mouse for cw4000Bottom of Page
1 to 5 of 5

peru1566 Feb 26th 2009 permalinkReport Post
Hi,
Anybody know what is the best wireless keyboard and mouse for cw4000? Pls. help me

thanks
peru

dikran Feb 26th 2009 permalinkReport Post
Captiveworks Forum Administrator
search the forum and you will see multiple threads with model numbers and experiences, etc.

armen Feb 27th 2009 permalinkReport Post
I am using ADESSO model # WKB-4000US Google it you will find it

Mobyforce1 May 29th 2009 edited permalinkReport Post
I got this one for mine. WOrked right out the box, like a champ. The mouse thing is way better than expeceted

Adesso 2.4 GHz RF Wireless Mini Keyboard with Optical Trackball

AooShh May 30th 2009 permalinkReport Post
I am using Logitech Dinovo Edge. No complaints.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/192&cl=US,EN

~A

1 to 5 of 5

CW4000 & CW3000 Discussion: Ir Sensor CW 3000 HDBottom of Page
1 to 6 of 6

mattryan Feb 14th 2009 permalinkReport Post
How do i order a new Ir Sensor? I accidentally broke mine. Glass part is broken and wires cut.

Thanks,
Matt

MotleyFool Feb 14th 2009 permalinkReport Post
CW will sell you a new one, but you need to send in the old one to get it replaced.

mattryan Feb 14th 2009 permalinkReport Post
Well then if i need to send the old one in im screwed becasue i threw it away.
Any other way to get one? is their a third party sensor i can use?

Thanks.

MotleyFool Feb 14th 2009 permalinkReport Post
Did you throw out everything, including the electronics?

The CW-LMC software verifies you have a genuine CW system by doing various hardware checks. One of those checks looks at the IR receiver hardware.

dikran Feb 14th 2009 permalinkReport Post
We need the old sensor to sell you a replacement.

John Feb 14th 2009 permalinkReport Post

John Feb 14th 2009 permalinkReport Post
Correct, you may want to look for the old cut up parts. The only way to purchase a replacement is send in the orignal.

This all came from the old sit . Read how to use the waybake machine and read the old sit. From this info I think you may be sol . But I will do some more looking.

mindbender
01-23-2015, 01:56 AM
CW4000 & CW3000 Discussion: plugging remote sensor cable into motherboardBottom of Page
1 to 5 of 5

quicksilver Feb 16th 2009 permalinkReport Post
"The key is to match the red wire to the pin labeled Vbus"
Is this the multicolored band of pins on the rev2 motherboard?
If so does the remote sensor cables red wire, plug in the green pin, on the row of 5 pins,but not the row of 4 pins right next to it?
I'm probably the only one that has to ask this,because i'm probably not looking in the right place,and I don't see a pin labeled VBus. I just want to be very sure I get it right , so I don't fry the circuit.

dikran Feb 16th 2009 edited permalinkReport Post
On a Rev. 2 motherboard, there should be 3 sets of headers each containing two rows of pins. One of the two rows has 5 pins and the other has 4 pins. The headers are located towards the front left side of the motherboard. You can follow the USB cable coming out of the USB port on the front or the cable coming out of the card reader on the front and check where it is plugged in the motherboard.

The key is to have the black wire match the black colored pin on the motherboard header. To make it simple, if your cable is 5 pins, plug it to the 5 pin header. If your cable is 4 pins, plug it to the 4 pin header.

quicksilver Feb 16th 2009 permalinkReport Post
This is starting to make sense,but I want to be sure.o.k I have a 5 pin remote sensor cable,so it plugs into the 5pin muticolored header located between where the
usb cable and the card reader cable plug in the motherboard.There are two black wires on one side of the remote sensor cable{ the fourth and fifth wire}.The fourth black wire will match up to the black pin ,the fifth black wire will match up to the yellow pin, is that correct? It would make it so much easier if the colors on the cable and header were the same.

dikran Feb 16th 2009 permalinkReport Post
You are correct. The 5th black wire goes into the yellow pin.

If you need a new remote hear is more info.

CW4000 & CW3000 Discussion: Universal Harmony RemotesBottom of Page
1 to 4 of 4

mastercraftsman Dec 28th 2008 permalinkReport Post
Purchased a Harmony 659 from Sam's for Hubby.... did not work at all - 'older protocol' is what logitech told us - not compatible at all with CW3000.

After over 4 hours on the phone with logitech, was recommended to purchase #'s 510/520 or 550 as they utilize a newer protocol. Ended up purchasing a 510 (only thing they had in stock at Bestbuy, $100.... the 550 would have been only $50).... had the package open 10 minutes and things are working great! If you reference the aforementioned incident here (11/2008 by kix20) #081102000033 and the prior incident number (avis59 from 3/2008) #071017-003560, there should already be over 50 commands programed in raw format that logitech can copy into your account - HUGE timesaver! Don't get me wrong, we still have some tweaking to do, but very pleased overall so far.....

so don't hesitate - go for the universal remote!

srsrsr Jan 13th 2009 permalinkReport Post
Hey Mastercraft...
I bought the 550 and same as you wherever they get the info on the default keys for this I dont know but it would be better if they didnt put anything in it at all.. I basically had to learn amost every command.. It is working pretty good now cept a few things.. watch tv activity doesn end up controlling the captiveworks device without going to devices and changing to that manually.. I think a quick hook up to the usb will fix that... and also one question....

I find that it is dead slow in changing channels in the epg. I tried there faster settings but it only lets me go to 100.. is there a way to make it faster that you found?

So If I can fix that I will be happy.. I mean I have a small entertainment area and 5 remotes.. this is a real timesaver in the long run.. plus i like that the setup is on the computer so people arnt changing it sitting in your livingroom ;)

vinayakpandit Jan 13th 2009 permalinkReport Post
I just configured my Harmony 500 for the CW4000HD as well works very well for the most part. I am able to control the captive box when in the activties menu. But also have the slow scrolling up/down channel problem. Also when in the EPG the page up/down does not work at all. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix that I would appreciate it.

srsrsr Jan 13th 2009 permalinkReport Post
Hi,
If you are trying to make the epg scroll what I did was to learn it from the captiveworks remote.. so what i did was just use the logitec direction up to be direction up arrow on circle in captiveworks remote etc... after I made the ok on the logitec the enter or select and then I made the exit on the logitec the back button on the captive works and the prev is the appexit.

Finally I took away the default extra buttons that will be seen in the lcd and changed them to the four colours.. that way top left becomes red top right becomes blue.. anyway this is how I did it and it feels pretty close.. but the direction up in guide is real slow.. I may call them and ask if there is a way to fix this.

chasek77
01-23-2015, 03:46 AM
jvvh5897,

I don't know if it's the sensor that needs to be replaced of if it's the whole PCB IR board. You said easy to replace. Do you mean the sensor or the board, because if I fried the board, then replacing the sensor won't help me any. Do you have a link to where I can replace the board? I read the post where Captiveworks has to get your old part to send you a new part, but the problem is there is no way to contact Captiveworks anymore. Am I wrong about this? I went to www.captiveworks.org and nothing for support. A wireless mouse or keyboard is not a viable option. It's good for surfing, but that is about it.

Kurt

steven charles
01-23-2015, 04:27 AM
jvvh5897,

I don't know if it's the sensor that needs to be replaced of if it's the whole PCB IR board. You said easy to replace. Do you mean the sensor or the board, because if I fried the board, then replacing the sensor won't help me any. Do you have a link to where I can replace the board? I read the post where Captiveworks has to get your old part to send you a new part, but the problem is there is no way to contact Captiveworks anymore. Am I wrong about this? I went to www.captiveworks.org and nothing for support. A wireless mouse or keyboard is not a viable option. It's good for surfing, but that is about it.

Kurtfriend you can find the whole remote control at incrediblefta I see that they have them,just google it friend....

chasek77
01-23-2015, 05:23 PM
Does anyone read my threads or do they just try to convince me to get a new remote control. I have stated in numerous texts that the remote control is NOT the problem. The problem is the PCB IR board inside the CW4000. If you don't know what that is, then please refrain from telling me to go to such and such a site for a new remote control. If you read my posts you would know that isn't my problem. Sorry to be an ass, but really frustrating dealing with people telling me to go to the Captiveworks site when they themselves haven't been there in years. Send me a link to the board or to Captiveworks support, but stop sending me useless information.

mindbender
01-23-2015, 07:15 PM
Does anyone read my threads or do they just try to convince me to get a new remote control. I have stated in numerous texts that the remote control is NOT the problem. The problem is the PCB IR board inside the CW4000. If you don't know what that is, then please refrain from telling me to go to such and such a site for a new remote control. If you read my posts you would know that isn't my problem. Sorry to be an ass, but really frustrating dealing with people telling me to go to the Captiveworks site when they themselves haven't been there in years. Send me a link to the board or to Captiveworks support, but stop sending me useless information.

You can not get the board because CW needs to program it . So as I told you , you are sol . You will need to use a wireless key board.

jvvh5897
01-23-2015, 08:07 PM
Well, looking at the cut and paste info, it looks to me like the remote sensor board uses a usb based chip to send the info the motherboard. Sort of like the way some PC card receivers use usb to get remote info to PC. And if your usb flash was killed off in the power surge, I'm guessing the usb chip in the sensor is toast too. But as I said in my first post, I know nothing about this box.

chasek77
01-23-2015, 11:19 PM
Mindbeder,

Would a USB external IR receiver work with the current remote control or with a universal remote control? This would get around the problem. Keyboard sucks and lacks many of the keys that I need to use. That will not be an option for me. I tried it and its not practical. How can Captiveworks be selling a new receiver, yet offer no technical support for past users?

Kurt

KIDWCKED
01-23-2015, 11:28 PM
Mindbeder,

Would a USB external IR receiver work with the current remote control or with a universal remote control? This would get around the problem. Keyboard sucks and lacks many of the keys that I need to use. That will not be an option for me. I tried it and its not practical. How can Captiveworks be selling a new receiver, yet offer no technical support for past users?

Kurt

you are dealing with a dinosaur of a receiver..instead of pulling your hair out and criticizing others that offered help..Upgrade like everyone else did...:D

mindbender
01-24-2015, 02:52 AM
Mindbeder,

Kurt

Do not know , if the path for a usb wireless keyboard works it may work then. The screwed up thing with the ir bored was to protect there product . Which is old but works as well as any other htpc for fta testing. As for help well this is a mater of legal problems for CW ( got to close to the sun ). And I am glad you read the info because that is all we have

chasek77
01-25-2015, 06:48 PM
I got a USB external IR receiver this weekend and I hooked it up to a Windows 7 PC and my WMC remote control worked flawlessly with no issues. I then used my Captiveworks 4000 remote control and you could see the red light flash each time I pressed a button on the CW4000 remote control, so they are talking.

I then plug the US external IR receiver into a USB port in my CW4000 and it does not receive the remote control commandes from any remote control, so that means that Windows 7 installed a driver and Linux Media Center did not install a driver, which explains why it doesn't work. This idea would bypass the PCB IR remote control located in the front of the board if only I had a Linux Driver and knew what directory to put it in. Any help guys on the driver and we can end this thread. The model of the USB IR receiver is TSDX-IR14.

chasek77
01-25-2015, 06:54 PM
KidWicked,

I critisized people that didn't read my original post and kept referrring me to FTA websites to buy a new remote control, when I clearly had come to the conclusion that was not the problem. I also got a bunch of replies telling me to go the Captiveworks website and all of my answers would be solved, which that is not true either. A USB keyboard is an option althought a bad one. Dinosaur? Yes, but it still works, so why would I drop more money on a box that records to an internal hard driver and has a DVD burner in it? The problem with society today is too many people want to throw something out when it only requires a little hard work to fix it.

jvvh5897
01-25-2015, 08:59 PM
Hum... Hum.... How to figure out how the IR capture is done without having the IR device working...
If you can disassemble the software in use, then you could find the code doing the work and maybe figure out how to modify it for your TSDX-IR14 protocol. Maybe capture the usb gizmo's communications with the PC with some program or other--I think there are programs to capture exchanges on usb ports. Sounds like a lot of work though--I've done that on STB code for a number of boxes and it can be done, but on a linux machine I would think there is a lot of code to get through before you found the right part.

Maybe try to find a junk box on ebay and pull the front panel from it. If the chips on the board are identifyable try to find data sheets for them--but I bet you will not be able to find any replacement parts, it is hard enough to do that with recent boxes, let alone one a few years old.

mindbender
01-26-2015, 03:52 AM
If you could program a remote to output the same as the wireless keyboard shortcuts then it should work . We will need to find a remote that works that way.

jvvh5897
01-27-2015, 05:25 PM
Did you know that it is possible to get a PC to output IR signals? You can use serial port, parallel or usb. You do have to know the remote protocol to use and you can often find that at the lirc site (linux infrared remote control project has windows exe too) or the jp1 site (though the last time I was over there looking for info I could not download the jp1 file so they might have shut off the non-member download of those). Still, you might be able to find info on the signals you need there, otherwise you have to get someone that has the remote you want to emulate to capture the info--that is as simple as getting a photodiode and using audio port on PC to capture the signal with a recorder like Audacity, or use one of the tools that jp1 or lirc offer. To send IR signals you don't need much more than an IR LED and a resistor to the connector you use (usb port is a little more but not that much).

johnnylarue
02-01-2015, 01:13 AM
you are dealing with a dinosaur of a receiver..instead of pulling your hair out and criticizing others that offered help..Upgrade like everyone else did...:D

Upgrade??!! It is the best unit ever made.

KIDWCKED
02-01-2015, 01:28 AM
Upgrade??!! It is the best unit ever made.

ok..........

chasek77
02-05-2015, 05:12 PM
I was referred to the LIRC web site by the person that sold me the IR USB receiver and he says it works with Linux operating system. Would that mean it would also work with the Linux Media Center? I am going to try to get it to work on my Linux Ubunto and then do the same for the Linux Media Center. The LIRC website should be of help if I get stuck. I will keep everyone posted. I have been looking on ebay for 3000 or 4000 boxes and one guy wanted like $300 for a 3000 and I am not sure if they use the same PCB board as on the 4000, so I passed.

johnnylarue
02-07-2015, 10:11 PM
I was referred to the LIRC web site by the person that sold me the IR USB receiver and he says it works with Linux operating system. Would that mean it would also work with the Linux Media Center? I am going to try to get it to work on my Linux Ubunto and then do the same for the Linux Media Center. The LIRC website should be of help if I get stuck. I will keep everyone posted. I have been looking on ebay for 3000 or 4000 boxes and one guy wanted like $300 for a 3000 and I am not sure if they use the same PCB board as on the 4000, so I passed.

I've tried using my IR USB transcievers with my CW-4000's, and they don't work. The reciever flickers with keystrokes or clicks, but the mouse. keyboard and remote don't work. It must be a driver issue.

chasek77
02-20-2015, 05:10 PM
I have been using the keyboard. How can I get the volume to go up or down with keyboard commands?

mindbender
02-21-2015, 12:23 AM
I have been using the keyboard. How can I get the volume to go up or down with keyboard commands?

The CW under frequently asked questions.
What are the corresponding key strokes for the remote control buttons?

Key Assignments
Power CTRL+P
Exit App CTRL+X
Timer CTRL+T
Play CTRL+Y
Pause CTRL+U
Stop CTRL+O
Record CTRL+R
Rewind CTRL+W
Fast Fwd CTRL+F
Skip Back CTRL+B
Skip Fwd CTRL+D
Ok ENTER
Back ESC
RED F1
GREEN F2
YELLOW F3
BLUE F4
EPG CTRL+G
I CTRL+I
VOL + KP_Multiply
VOL - KP_Divide
CH + KP_Add
CH - KP_Subtract
Erase Backspace
Recal CTRL+L
All CTRL+A
TV/Rad CTRL+V
Sat CTRL+S
Search CTRL+E
Menu CTRL+M
Recordings CTRL+K
Schedule CTRL+C
History CTRL+H
Mute CTRL+Q
Audio CTRL+Z
Caption CTRL+N
Eject CTRL+J

chasek77
02-21-2015, 10:26 PM
What is KP_Multiply?

chasek77
02-21-2015, 10:41 PM
What is KP_Multiply? The asterick is the multiply button right, but shift and the number 8 key doesn't work for volume up

mindbender
02-22-2015, 06:04 PM
What is KP_Multiply? The asterick is the multiply button right, but shift and the number 8 key doesn't work for volume up

The 10 key , key pad . You probably do not have this on your wireless key pad . I will look and see if we can remap it in the back end.

chasek77
02-28-2015, 05:40 PM
The 10 key , key pad . You probably do not have this on your wireless key pad . I will look and see if we can remap it in the back end.

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard, which does have a keypad to the right, which has numbers 0-9 and insert and delete, enter, +, -,*, /, num lock

Will that work? It sucks having no volume

Kurt

chasek77
02-28-2015, 05:48 PM
Update. I used the control key and the * on the keypad and it worked. Thank you so much! I still wish the PCB board could be fixed.

Kurt

jvvh5897
02-28-2015, 07:42 PM
Well, then tear into the box and take photos, make a list of parts on the board, google for info on the chips--see what you can figure out. Post what you see and get.

chasek77
05-10-2015, 04:13 PM
I bought a 2nd CW4000 on Ebay and swapped out the board and now it works, but I will post a picture of the board, so I can possibly get that fixed.

chasek77
05-21-2015, 01:29 AM
I wrote a few weeks/months ago about having my HD channels come up with a green screen and could not figure out why this was happening since the SD channels were coming in fine. I thought maybe my Genpix Skywalker card was bad well after buying a 2nd CW4000 from an auction site, I found out what the problem was.

I had a power surge destroy my power supply and corrupt my flash card. In the process of taking everything apart I hooked up the remote control circuit board incorrectly and probably shorted out the board or chip. Well, when I got the 2nd CW4000 box and swapped out the PCB card for the remote control it fixed the green screen issue and the remote control started working again, which meant no more using a keyboard for commands. Bottom line is if your circuit board for your remote control goes out you can get SD channels, but not HD channels. Channel 9421 is a good example of how to check to see if your HD channels are working since it is in the clear.

chasek77
05-21-2015, 04:10 PM
Here are pictures of the PCB board that does NOT work. I think the chip just needs to be replaced, since it has some burnt marks on the processor. See pictures. What do you guys think?

eyeamok
08-02-2015, 02:56 AM
It is easy to replace ir sensor for CW, build the hackaday 18f4550 board or buy one pre-built, and program chip with code, I have the code, and have built 4 of them, they all work perfect. Basically the remote is a wireless keyboard and uses such commands. Parex 9708 remote

chasek77
08-16-2015, 05:20 PM
It is easy to replace ir sensor for CW, build the hackaday 18f4550 board or buy one pre-built, and program chip with code, I have the code, and have built 4 of them, they all work perfect. Basically the remote is a wireless keyboard and uses such commands. Parex 9708 remote

I want the replaced IR sensor card to work with the original remote control rather then with a wireless keyboard. The wireless keyboard does work. I have found that if the IR sensor card does not work then you get a green screen for HD channels although SD channels come in fine. I was reading that Captiveworks did this so cloning would not happen. Can I either send you the old IR sensor and have you fix it or can I buy the part from you of a new IR sensor? This would be very important to me. I had to buy a 2nd Captiveworks 4000 and swap parts to get my original to work. I would love to get the 2nd unit to work as well via your great idea.

Benney
08-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Just seen this.

I have two CW4000 remotes plus two sensors as well as a card adapter.

The number on the chip for one IR board is 0707908 and the other is 0707540 plus the USB cables.

You can have them all for 50 bucks. I'll ship for free.

Willucome2014
12-09-2018, 09:33 PM
Hum...I know nothing about this box, but in others the IR sensor is a three pin integrated circuit with a photo diode inside and a amp to clean up the signal to get to TTL like levels. The sensor runs on 5 volts typically just like the usb port might share but can be bought in 3.3V versions. If you had an odd enough power fail, the sensor might be bad but you could test that pretty easy--use a capacitor to pin that looks to be not ground or +V and feed it to a audio line-in on a PC (or you could feed it to any line-in on a stereo using capacitor and just listen to the sound). The remotes typically use a carrier on time of about 500 micro seconds and off times of 500 micro sec or 1000 micro sec--that is 2000 Hertz to about 1500 Hertz tones. I've even held AM receivers close to a remote and been able to hear the thing work when a button is pressed, but with a linux based box, I bet there is too much noise generated for you to try that inside the box.

My apologies for being 3 years late to the conversation. All respect to jvvh, great work on the sti stb units .

Regarding cw4000

It is a computer running a debian based linux. On a msi motherboard. With a custom bios, that the os checks for , if you "update" or change to msi bios

The remote control stops working as does the genpix Skywalker 1 cw3k 8psk tuner .

Why? Simple since its a computer running open source , many clones were made, cw wanted to protect their sales and work.

What work?
1) Converting a Germany based VDR satellite and cable media receiver to use in English north America satellites

2) writing a stb like flash interface for TV use.

3) allowing scanning of american satellites , and convert to sort by Station ID aka sid aka channel number .

4) dev of a remote control and a ir receiver module. Which is recorded on a Cyprus dipp semi.

The remote control module on bootup is recognized as a mouse. That way any keyboard still works.

Several people made clones of the remote ir receiver with plugs into the msi on board usb header.

As to dinosaur, well unlike 99% of past FTA boxes , this is a computer and continues to run,

1) its a PVR it records the entire stream including the info button data, all the audio including Dolby digital and stereo, it records native video that they're sending.

2) Its a DVD recorder/player makes flawless DVD of any recording that plays on any DVD stb.

3) its a media center that can be logged into by another device and watched live TV or recordings

4) unlike a htpc its purpose built and can be 100% controlled by the remote control, which is why people call it a FTA maybe.

5) the base software ie the linux and the flash and the VDR are all currently made and widely used in europe.

6) in Europe they use it as a hub/server to behave as a Hopper /Joey style system.

6a) it can accept cable, ota HD antenna tuners

6b) supports 2TB hard disks for recording.

If your original ir module does not work, maybe someone in Glendale has a spare one. Caution if you plug it in the wrong position you roast something in the module .

I know it's late but I hope this helps

I know several people who run this unit flawlessly om the 17 r2 software as we speak.

Willucome2014
12-09-2018, 09:36 PM
Just seen this.

I have two CW4000 remotes plus two sensors as well as a card adapter.

The number on the chip for one IR board is 0707908 and the other is 0707540 plus the USB cables.

You can have them all for 50 bucks. I'll ship for free.

Be careful of orientation when you plug the ir receiver into usb header . I would suggest you look at wayback machine and read captiveworks.org how to on this. Or you'll fry them too.