Thread: Who was the first person on the Wheaties Box

Bigpineguy Retired Guest

Default Who was the first person on the Wheaties Box

We were talking about this... ( don't ask me why ...lol ) , But this is what We found out....and wanted to share..

Wheaties made it's debut in 1924 but it was not until 1934 that the Wheaties box featured people, mainly athletes, on the back of the box.

In our research we found that Lou Gehrig was the first athlete on a Wheaties box, but just who was the first person?

The first person to grace a Wheaties box was Jack Armstrong who starred in a serial radio adventure sponsored by Wheaties, the only problem, he was a fictional character.

As a result, in 1934, Lou Gehrig became the world's first real person to appear on a Wheaties box.

A few more Wheaties facts:

Aviator Elinor Smith was the first female to appear on a Wheaties box in 1934.

The first person to appear on the front of a Wheaties box was decathlon gold medalist Bob Richards in 1958.

The first woman to appear on the front of a Wheaties box was gymnast Mary Lou Retton in 1984.

Michael Jordan has appeared on the Wheaties box 18 times.

Jack Armstrong & Lou Gehrig 1934 Wheaties Box

BPG~

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 68x in 21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpineguy View Post
    We were talking about this... ( don't ask me why ...lol ) , But this is what We found out....and wanted to share..

BPG~
    Lou Gehrig
    Daddy & Mommy will always miss you

Please do not PM Me with questions
    Post them in the forums so others may learn and benefit from your experience.

Night Prowler Guest

in my best Johnny Carson impression.......hmmmm.....I did not know that.

Thanks BPG......

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 34x in 24 Posts

The first person to grace a Wheaties box was Jack Armstrong who starred in a serial radio adventure sponsored by Wheaties, the only problem, he was a fictional character.

As a result, in 1934, Lou Gehrig became the world's first real person to appear on a Wheaties box.

huckleberry234 Guest

thats odd, i thought i remembered bruce jenner being on there.... i had no idea of all that history though, interesting stuff.

CamiCity Guest

Jack Armstrong & Lou Gehrig 1934 Wheaties Box
    Last edited by CamiCity; 01-26-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Pollypurabred Guest

I am always amazed what you guys/gals find. Got to learn "HOW TO" use those search engines.