Thread: bricked xFTA?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 6x in 5 Posts

Question bricked xFTA?

I purchased a used XFTA on ebay but cannot access the gargoyle GUI... changed IP setting on my LAN properties ( to 192.168.1.2 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.1.1), but I am not receiving any packets. Tried searching about possible problems and tried resetting the xfta; When I try pinging 192.168.1.1 it either says "timed out" or "destination host unreachable"

Before I try flashing the firmware I was hoping I may be able to get some other ideas!
    Thanks

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523x in 764 Posts

When you plug the cat5 from box into PC does the PC show any activity on the web port? If so, then you should be able to see what IP address xfta thinks it is.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jvvh5897 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 6x in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jvvh5897 View Post
    When you plug the cat5 from box into PC does the PC show any activity on the web port? If so, then you should be able to see what IP address xfta thinks it is.
    JVVH5897 - there is activity and it sends packets, but it does NOT receive any! How can I find out what the xfta ip address is set up as?

EDIT: I looked up on the internet how to find the ip address, and after running ipconfig there was no default gateway. Also noticed on my wifi connections that GARGOYLE was available - I tried connecting to it as it was unsecured. I could not get an IP address or connection.

thanks
    Last edited by fickyoi; 08-21-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 42x in 26 Posts

Open a DOS windows (cmd) and trying the ping command. ie. ping 192.168.1.1 and if that does not work try ping 192.168.1.2 and keeping trying. If the router does not reply then you might have to use a ftp program like tftp and load a file on it that way. There is a file around that explains how to do that.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 107x in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fickyoi View Post
    I purchased a used XFTA on ebay but cannot access the gargoyle GUI... changed IP setting on my LAN properties ( to 192.168.1.2 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.1.1), but I am not receiving any packets. Tried searching about possible problems and tried resetting the xfta; When I try pinging 192.168.1.1 it either says "timed out" or "destination host unreachable"

Before I try flashing the firmware I was hoping I may be able to get some other ideas!
    Thanks
    Remove the static setting from your PC network.
    With only the X-FTA router connected to your PC

Run CMD to open a command prompt
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

What IP address does it show?

What Gateway is shown ? This is probably the address of your X-FTA.
    Hope that helps.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 107x in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fickyoi View Post
    JVVH5897 - there is activity and it sends packets, but it does NOT receive any! How can I find out what the xfta ip address is set up as?

EDIT: I looked up on the internet how to find the ip address, and after running ipconfig there was no default gateway. Also noticed on my wifi connections that GARGOYLE was available - I tried connecting to it as it was unsecured. I could not get an IP address or connection.

thanks
    You had set your PC to a static IP address. Change it back to DHCP

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 6x in 5 Posts

Got it figured out. flashed the xfta with a program called TFTP

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fickyoi For This Useful Post:

bkr™ is offline Moderator/Satfix 2014 Super Bowl pool Champion
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952x in 711 Posts

Great to hear you got it, have 3 sitting in stockpile and have not used in a long, long time, actually forgot how to get working if bricked, hopefully still are working if I need to use again.
    really hate windoz 8