Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on the Jynxbox Ultra HD Lite

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 163x in 98 Posts
    Items TVToasterCoffee makerMonitorWireless AccessDish

Default My thoughts on the Jynxbox Ultra HD Lite

A friend of mine bought a Jynxbox Ultra HD Lite asked me to put it together and set it up. While I have it, I am going to use it and see what it is like.

The size suprised me, it is about the same footprint as my DM500 but only have as thick and weighs nothing in comparison. The front of the receiver is very simple with the Jynxbox Ultra HD LITE lettering and 3 little windows, 1 for power light, 1 for status and the IR recepter.. The left side has a power button near the rear of the STB and a USB slot infront of the power button. The rear is filled with all the inputs and outputs needed, the power connector, a USB slot, IR slot (I think it is for a remote extender),RS232 input, ethernet plug, AV out, HDMI out and finally the tuner input and output. The right side is nice and clean.

Upon opening the display box I removed the receiver unit and underneath were the accessories; 1 JB200 tuner, 1 remote control (it works with my Ultra HD as well), 2 batteries, 1 special AV cable (1/8" jack to composite leads), and a special serial adapter (DB9 female to 1/8" jack), and then the power supply.

I had to open the receiver to install the JB200 tuner. The STB is held together by 4 little phillips screws on the bottom, a small screw driver is defintly needed, I used the little pocket screw drivers - worked great. Once the screws were remove and very carefully placed in a safe place, I wouldn't want to lose 1. I turned the STB over and the top lifted off without any problem, there is a wire connecting the fan to the motherboard so you have to be careful while opening. I was able to install the JB200 tuner without any hinderence, popped into place and I replaced the retaining hex nuts that secures the tuner in place. The top went back on, I turned over the STB and replaced the 4 little screws making sure no to over tighten them.

Now the fun really begins. I took the STB to my TV connected the HDNI cable, turned on the receiver and waited a minute and the regualar Jynxbox background picture appeard. I checked the system information and it showed the JB200 installed. I went into Installation menu then dish settings and pressed OK to choose the satellite to setup. I had forgotten that you will only see 2 satellites in the list until you do a factory reset and then all the satellites appear. I did that and proceeded to setup my satellites. The menu structure is identical to that of teh Ultra HD so moving around was easy. The biggest problem I had during setting up was the remote. I kept pushing the wrong buttons, I wasn't looking and was use to the arrangement on the Ultra HD. Once I started looking at the remote things went a lot better.
    Time to scan for channels. I scanned each satellite individually, most channels scanned in, some were missed. Some attention has to be paid here after the initial setup is finished.

The picture quality is really good, IMO. As good as the original Ultra HD. The guide callup seems quicker that the Ultra HD but channel change is the same. I have a lot more playing to do with this little gem, I haven't attempted and recording or timeshifting. That will come in the next day or so.

The main draw back of the receiver is the fan noise. It brings back memmories of a SV8000. I have heard that new fans are coming. Another thing that I found is if you are using an HDMI and AV out (for use with DVI input) the fit is tight, the two outputs are pretty close together and depending on the thickness of the plug covers they tend to push on each other a little.

I would like to know how the STB gets the information for channel names. 241 and 242 have been renamed a while ago yet they are still referred to as CBS and NBC

I think Jynxbox has another winner, the price is fair and will make you think twice before buying a more expensive receiver or a cheaper out the back door receiver.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 347x in 211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I would like to know how the STB gets the information for channel names. 241 and 242 have been renamed a while ago yet they are still referred to as CBS and NBC
    The channel names are written in the file. You can rename the channels

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BanHammer For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 175x in 104 Posts

Went to my friend's house to see his new Jynxbox HD Lite. I pretty much agree with your assessment above with one addition. Fan noise is not just a drawback. It's a major issue. Friend's wife very adamant about 'not having that damned noisy thing in her living room' to quote her directly. Friend moved it into his office and it's damned noisy there too. He is going to pull the fan and use a laptop cooler the noise is so bad... and the dealer tells him that is the QUIET fan. Sorry, but I am still laughing. Better he hears it from his wife than I have to hear it from mine. Still LMAO.

Great sound too if you can hear it over the fan noise... ROFLMAO!
    Last edited by AeonFlux; 10-06-2013 at 05:18 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AeonFlux For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 595x in 272 Posts
    Items Some beerPopcorn
Gift received at 12-15-2013, 08:19 PM from thebeav

I removed my fan and I'm using a small laptop cooler it stays nice and cool.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to holly2012 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,196x in 2,659 Posts
    Items Whiskey
Gift received at 12-12-2013, 01:32 AM from swanner
Cheers Mate...
swannerCrown Royal
Gift received at 06-27-2013, 10:55 PM from Anubis
Message: If you're having some ryes I figure I'd contribute.Trophy 3
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 12:02 PM from ICEMAN

if I get one the fan noise shouldn't be a problem as the wife says I am half deaf already, HD not even a big issue right now either untilk I get a cataract removed BAHAHA damn it is fun growing old. Think I am going to tell the wife to get me a gift certificate for Wally world for Xmas. I can use it to buy depends

Spoon Feeders FEED Bottom Feeders

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nostradamus For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 175x in 104 Posts

Wink

So if I am going to buy one of these things, what laptop cooler works best? Anyone have a recommendation? Maybe I will buy one for my friend. His wife makes wicked good pumpkin pie.
    Last edited by AeonFlux; 10-06-2013 at 09:15 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AeonFlux For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 11x in 4 Posts

I like the noisy little beast enough to buy it a brother.
    Just ordered a 2nd unit in for a Chum.
    Seems a bit quicker, more stable and less quirky
    than the full size stb.
    Overall I'm pleased.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lyman zerga For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 595x in 272 Posts
    Items Some beerPopcorn
Gift received at 12-15-2013, 08:19 PM from thebeav

I got my cooler on AMAZON I think it was around $5.00 plus a couple of bucks for shipping

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to holly2012 For This Useful Post:

bkr™ is offline Moderator/Satfix 2014 Super Bowl pool Champion
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,952x in 711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nostradamus View Post
    if I get one the fan noise shouldn't be a problem as the wife says I am half deaf already, HD not even a big issue right now either untilk I get a cataract removed BAHAHA damn it is fun growing old. Think I am going to tell the wife to get me a gift certificate for Wally world for Xmas. I can use it to buy depends
    Ehhh, what you say?
    really hate windoz 8

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bkr™ For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 163x in 98 Posts

When I first has the receiver on I noticed the fan but it was quickly mixed into all the other noise of the room. It was when I left the room for a little while and returned that is when I could hear it, I just disconnected it and am using a laptop cooler that I had around. I will be hard pressed to have to return this to my friend as I am enjoying this little box.
    I have done a couple of recordings, both on demand and using the timer function. I have having good results so far with it, with the timer recording the receiver doesn't turn itself off as I experienced with the big boy version. I am able to play things that I recorded with my V1 receiver.
    I have to comment on the remote as well. The layout is more efficient for us lazy handed people. The often used buttons are well within thumbs reach. Well at least in my opinion.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Loblaw For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 59x in 38 Posts

SO GOT MINE TODAY,first thing I did was check to make sure no clone. Took about 1/2 hr to get it going, no problesm, set up network did a re-bot, scanned sats, set up favs and started watching. Picture quality is good,, sound is good as well, fan is noisy but don't really notice it , records well in .ts or .ps only was under the impression it used alot more exrensions, all in all I would recommend this little guy to my friends..

than ks

after i learn to spell and type>>>>>
    as per holly's advice i bought a cooler pad, ,runs nice and cool now I like this little unit...

So i have had this unit for a month almost, tried all the record /playback options, works as expected. the only problems I have actually had were ones THAT I CAUSED BY NOT READING OR NOT LOOKING BEFORE JUMPING.
    So i would recommend this unit as a low end purchase, nothing fancy just works.

thanks
    Last edited by sassy1; 10-24-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: new info

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sassy1 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,196x in 2,659 Posts
    Items Whiskey
Gift received at 12-12-2013, 01:32 AM from swanner
Cheers Mate...
swannerCrown Royal
Gift received at 06-27-2013, 10:55 PM from Anubis
Message: If you're having some ryes I figure I'd contribute.Trophy 3
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 12:02 PM from ICEMAN

there is no clones of this box yet that I am aware of. might possibly be a few prototype boxes that were leaked but they are easy to identify as they will not take the new file. will also be hard for the clone dudes to manufacture and sell the clone boxes much cheaper than the real thing and they are all about turning a big profit on a glut of boxes so I expect they will wander off in another direction

Spoon Feeders FEED Bottom Feeders

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nostradamus For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

For the folks who added a replacement fan.
    Are they of the USB variety?....and is there any potential problem drawing the power from the small lite unit.
    I also wonder what you would do if you have to use the USB for wireless antenna connection ?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 163x in 98 Posts

Yes the coolers are of the USB variety but it is butter to power them from an external source. You can pick up a little 110v to 5v adapter for about $5.
    There are 2 USB slots so using a wireless adapter and another USB thing shouldn't be a problem

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Thanks Bob.

I finally received my new Jynxbox about an hour ago. I have not yet hooked it up, but I have attached an image showing (what I believe) to be the new fan location. The heat sink is way smaller as well.
    IMG_0090.jpg

27. The Following User Says Thank You to wee-haggis For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast