Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote control stopped working on CW4000

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523x in 764 Posts

Well, looking at the cut and paste info, it looks to me like the remote sensor board uses a usb based chip to send the info the motherboard. Sort of like the way some PC card receivers use usb to get remote info to PC. And if your usb flash was killed off in the power surge, I'm guessing the usb chip in the sensor is toast too. But as I said in my first post, I know nothing about this box.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Mindbeder,

Would a USB external IR receiver work with the current remote control or with a universal remote control? This would get around the problem. Keyboard sucks and lacks many of the keys that I need to use. That will not be an option for me. I tried it and its not practical. How can Captiveworks be selling a new receiver, yet offer no technical support for past users?

Kurt

KIDWCKED is offline Visiting Dignitary/Satfix 2021 NFL week 1 Champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,425x in 4,579 Posts
    Items Some beerMartini
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM from hedley
Gift received at 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM from thebeav
Gift received at 12-17-2012, 07:15 AM from ICEMAN

Quote Originally Posted by chasek77 View Post
    Mindbeder,

Would a USB external IR receiver work with the current remote control or with a universal remote control? This would get around the problem. Keyboard sucks and lacks many of the keys that I need to use. That will not be an option for me. I tried it and its not practical. How can Captiveworks be selling a new receiver, yet offer no technical support for past users?

Kurt
    you are dealing with a dinosaur of a receiver..instead of pulling your hair out and criticizing others that offered help..Upgrade like everyone else did...
    [KIDWICKED]..;/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KIDWCKED For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 43x in 28 Posts

Mindbeder,

Kurt
    Do not know , if the path for a usb wireless keyboard works it may work then. The screwed up thing with the ir bored was to protect there product . Which is old but works as well as any other htpc for fta testing. As for help well this is a mater of legal problems for CW ( got to close to the sun ). And I am glad you read the info because that is all we have

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I got a USB external IR receiver this weekend and I hooked it up to a Windows 7 PC and my WMC remote control worked flawlessly with no issues. I then used my Captiveworks 4000 remote control and you could see the red light flash each time I pressed a button on the CW4000 remote control, so they are talking.

I then plug the US external IR receiver into a USB port in my CW4000 and it does not receive the remote control commandes from any remote control, so that means that Windows 7 installed a driver and Linux Media Center did not install a driver, which explains why it doesn't work. This idea would bypass the PCB IR remote control located in the front of the board if only I had a Linux Driver and knew what directory to put it in. Any help guys on the driver and we can end this thread. The model of the USB IR receiver is TSDX-IR14.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

KidWicked,

I critisized people that didn't read my original post and kept referrring me to FTA websites to buy a new remote control, when I clearly had come to the conclusion that was not the problem. I also got a bunch of replies telling me to go the Captiveworks website and all of my answers would be solved, which that is not true either. A USB keyboard is an option althought a bad one. Dinosaur? Yes, but it still works, so why would I drop more money on a box that records to an internal hard driver and has a DVD burner in it? The problem with society today is too many people want to throw something out when it only requires a little hard work to fix it.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Hum... Hum.... How to figure out how the IR capture is done without having the IR device working...
    If you can disassemble the software in use, then you could find the code doing the work and maybe figure out how to modify it for your TSDX-IR14 protocol. Maybe capture the usb gizmo's communications with the PC with some program or other--I think there are programs to capture exchanges on usb ports. Sounds like a lot of work though--I've done that on STB code for a number of boxes and it can be done, but on a linux machine I would think there is a lot of code to get through before you found the right part.

Maybe try to find a junk box on ebay and pull the front panel from it. If the chips on the board are identifyable try to find data sheets for them--but I bet you will not be able to find any replacement parts, it is hard enough to do that with recent boxes, let alone one a few years old.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 43x in 28 Posts

If you could program a remote to output the same as the wireless keyboard shortcuts then it should work . We will need to find a remote that works that way.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

Did you know that it is possible to get a PC to output IR signals? You can use serial port, parallel or usb. You do have to know the remote protocol to use and you can often find that at the lirc site (linux infrared remote control project has windows exe too) or the jp1 site (though the last time I was over there looking for info I could not download the jp1 file so they might have shut off the non-member download of those). Still, you might be able to find info on the signals you need there, otherwise you have to get someone that has the remote you want to emulate to capture the info--that is as simple as getting a photodiode and using audio port on PC to capture the signal with a recorder like Audacity, or use one of the tools that jp1 or lirc offer. To send IR signals you don't need much more than an IR LED and a resistor to the connector you use (usb port is a little more but not that much).

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 380x in 218 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KIDWCKED View Post
    you are dealing with a dinosaur of a receiver..instead of pulling your hair out and criticizing others that offered help..Upgrade like everyone else did...
    Upgrade??!! It is the best unit ever made.

KIDWCKED is offline Visiting Dignitary/Satfix 2021 NFL week 1 Champ
    Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,425x in 4,579 Posts
    Items Some beerMartini
Gift received at 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM from hedley
Gift received at 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM from thebeav
Gift received at 12-17-2012, 07:15 AM from ICEMAN

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylarue View Post
    Upgrade??!! It is the best unit ever made.
    ok..........
    [KIDWICKED]..;/

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I was referred to the LIRC web site by the person that sold me the IR USB receiver and he says it works with Linux operating system. Would that mean it would also work with the Linux Media Center? I am going to try to get it to work on my Linux Ubunto and then do the same for the Linux Media Center. The LIRC website should be of help if I get stuck. I will keep everyone posted. I have been looking on ebay for 3000 or 4000 boxes and one guy wanted like $300 for a 3000 and I am not sure if they use the same PCB board as on the 4000, so I passed.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 380x in 218 Posts

I was referred to the LIRC web site by the person that sold me the IR USB receiver and he says it works with Linux operating system. Would that mean it would also work with the Linux Media Center? I am going to try to get it to work on my Linux Ubunto and then do the same for the Linux Media Center. The LIRC website should be of help if I get stuck. I will keep everyone posted. I have been looking on ebay for 3000 or 4000 boxes and one guy wanted like $300 for a 3000 and I am not sure if they use the same PCB board as on the 4000, so I passed.

I've tried using my IR USB transcievers with my CW-4000's, and they don't work. The reciever flickers with keystrokes or clicks, but the mouse. keyboard and remote don't work. It must be a driver issue.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks

I have been using the keyboard. How can I get the volume to go up or down with keyboard commands?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 43x in 28 Posts

I have been using the keyboard. How can I get the volume to go up or down with keyboard commands?
    The CW under frequently asked questions.
    What are the corresponding key strokes for the remote control buttons?

Key Assignments
    Power CTRL+P
    Exit App CTRL+X
    Timer CTRL+T
    Play CTRL+Y
    Pause CTRL+U
    Stop CTRL+O
    Record CTRL+R
    Rewind CTRL+W
    Fast Fwd CTRL+F
    Skip Back CTRL+B
    Skip Fwd CTRL+D