Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable companies take more Android box dealers to court to stamp out 'free TV'

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,329x in 4,234 Posts
    Items Crown Royal
Gift received at 11-09-2019, 09:07 PM from Putski

Default Cable companies take more Android box dealers to court to stamp out 'free TV'

Cable giants have ratcheted up their legal battle against Canadian dealers selling fully loaded Android boxes.

With added special software, the boxes allow customers to stream a huge selection of pirated content, including live sports, on their TVs — for free.

According to court documents, plaintiffs Bell Canada, Rogers and Quebec's Videotron have added 11 defendants to their legal action launched in Federal Court.

The three cable companies initially named five retailers in the case and won a temporary injunction on June 1 to stop them from selling the loaded boxes until the matter is resolved.

The plaintiffs had been seeking a temporary injunction against all Android box dealers but the judge rejected that and allowed more defendants to be added to the case.

The 11 new defendants, added on June 20, had 14 days to comply with the injunction or challenge it.

Some small retailers say they don't understand why they've been targeted.

Small-time Android box dealer Siva Mahadeva of Markham, Ont., was "shocked and surprised" when he received a notice that his business, Ohm Computers, was named as a defendant in the case.

"How come they are targeting us?" he says. "We don't have money."

Cable's determined crackdown

The Android box business has become a scourge for cable giants because retailers often market them as a way to get "free TV" and axe cable bills for a one-time fee ranging from $40 to $250.

The devices are similar to Apple TV but their added software enables customers to stream a vast array of unauthorized movies and TV shows.

The plaintiffs' statement of claim shows how box users can even access live TV such as Rogers' Sportsnet — without a cable subscription.

In court documents, Bell, Rogers and Videotron say this is a case of "blatant copyright infringement" and that the box dealers have "induced and authorized" customers to watch illegal content.

"Enabling free and illegal access to copyrighted content with these boxes negatively impacts the entire Canadian content production industry," Bell told CBC News in an email.

The cable providers also argue that they're unjustly losing customers to the Android box business.

But that's not how Mahadeva sees it. He says his customers often purchased the box because they can't afford cable.

"If Bell or Rogers, if they give a good price, a cheaper price, nobody would buy the boxes," says Mahadeva.

He adds that since he got his legal notice, he no longer sells the devices. But Mahadeva wonders why the cable companies chose to go after his small business.

Why target the little guy?

He says he sold at most a few boxes a week and mainly focuses on computer sales at a store that is less than 700 square feet in size.

Mahadeva says some customers are dumbfounded when he reveals he can no longer sell the boxes. That's because they're still on offer at numerous other places, including large retailers.

CBC News found the loaded Android boxes advertised on BestBuy and Amazon websites, but without any mention of the added bonus of "free TV." Neither company has been named in the case.

​Soufiane Al Timimi also says he's bewildered why his company, TVBox Hero, is now a defendant in the case. The 30-year-old college student from Waterloo, Ont., says he created a business to market loaded Android boxes, but never got around to selling any.

"They know I have no money. They know I can't fight it," says Al Timimi. To fund his legal bills, he has launched a campaign on the do-it-yourself fundraising site, GoFundMe.

"Help us fight the good fight," posted Al Timimi. He added that Rogers and Bell "are picking on the little guys like us."

One of the original defendants, Vincent Wesley in Montreal, has also launched a GoFundMe campaign to raise money for his legal fees.

"I've never believed that I was at any point a threat or causing much of a disturbance to incur such wrath from these huge cable companies," says Wesley. He claims he sold the boxes as a sideline business.

The legal fight rolls on

Wesley is appealing the injunction that temporarily prohibits him from selling loaded Android boxes.

His lawyer, Constantin Kyritsis, argues the boxes are like "iPads, Apple TVs or computers," which can be used for both legal and illegal purposes.

Indeed, customers can also use the Android box to stream legal content such as Netflix shows with a paid subscription.

"The vendor doesn't control or authorize what users do, or what software providers enable users to do," Kyritsis says.

A source close to the case told CBC News that the cable companies can't target the people who make the software for the boxes so they've chosen to target the dealers.

"They can't go after the real problem, which is the programmers because they're all anonymous," he says. "These people are probably in the mountains and stuff like that in Russia, in Switzerland."

He also believes the case is actually working against the plaintiffs because it has made more people aware of the loaded Android boxes and what they offer.

"More people know about it and definitely more people are buying it," he says.

He reports some dealers not named in the case have stripped their websites of any promises of "free TV" and are enjoying increased sales.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 557x in 268 Posts

"They know I have no money. They know I can't fight it," says Al Timimi

I would agree with that. I assume they rather at lest for now go after the small guys knowing there won't be much of a legal challenge while they get court injunctions issued probably hoping to set a trend in court for possible other cases in future. They could also write the big retailers if there are any a cease and desist letter that includes a copy of the court injunctions they have already received.

GS2
    Last edited by Gunsmoke2 - GS2; 07-07-2016 at 12:34 AM.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gunsmoke2 - GS2 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523x in 764 Posts

Likely not that they are 'small guys' but that the way they advertised the boxes was more obviously a come-on to getting something that they were not paying for for free.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jvvh5897 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,949x in 826 Posts

Why is it that people use the excuse that it is priced to high so they should be allowed to steal the product? It is a product for sale and if you want free there is always OTA that is pretty much the way it was when I was a kid. Some areas had more to chose from than others.

I drive a a Jeep but would love a Hummer but can't afford the price tag. Does this mean I can go steal one because I think they are over priced, no it doesn't so I will stay with my Jeep.

I love my little STB and it does all I want it to do and more but I don't pay for IPTV as there is no need to.

These idiots openly advertising to get rid of cable are just asking for trouble! Not only that they have now openly brought the big guys into the game and it will ruin it for us all in the future!

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Benney For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 557x in 268 Posts

This is part of what the defendant posted on his gofundme account.

So I've opened a GoFundMe account to help with this huge case they’ve put on me. The goal is set at 30,000$ because I'm honestly shocked at how far they can push this. The entire case might run me well over that (which is kind of scary). But ultimately I feel it's a crucial battle since the cable companies apparently picked easier targets to bully in the hope we fall, so they can then use that against bigger players too. Then with this victory they plan to run the gauntlet and work their way up (but only after building momentum). As you know, if there are no alternatives these companies have shown a history taking advantage of the lack of competition and jacking up prices. (Look at our cell phone industry, their history with Netflix and virtually any new entrant to the industry)

So that's my story. Anything helps. I appreciate you reading this far and have a great day.

Vincent Wesley

I do think there is some truth to start out with going after the small guys first. Take on a large retailer they could face possibly a stiff legal challenge.

This defendant has collected so far $185.00 out of his goal of collecting $30,000. I feel sympathetic to him as he probably did not think he was doing anything illegal but honestly think he should pack it in as really don't see much chance of being successful. His business is shut down unless he wants to violate the injunction issued against him. If he was able to operate while trying to defend this lawsuit than maybe financially he would have a chance but unfortunately he lost in court.

One argument that maybe could have been raised that appears it wasn't was an argument that his Canadian charter rights are being violated with section 2b of the Charter that says

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: (a) freedom of conscience and religion;(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and(d) freedom of association.

However most likely the court would say your charter rights don't extend to infringement on copyrights

GS2

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gunsmoke2 - GS2 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494x in 807 Posts
    Items Vintage carCheckered FlagCanadaElephant 2RepMedalMartiniDish

Quote Originally Posted by Benney View Post
    I love my little STB and it does all I want it to do and more but I don't pay for IPTV as there is no need to.

These idiots openly advertising to get rid of cable are just asking for trouble! Not only that they have now openly brought the big guys into the game and it will ruin it for us all in the future!
    Benney - I agree these guys selling preloaded boxes in their stores or homes and openly advertising it are asking for trouble. It makes it real easy for the big boys to nab them - just call them and make a purchase.

I don't think the copyright owners, or the cable and satellite companies care whether you are paying a private IPTV service a fee or whether you are somehow grabbing it for free with a Kodi addon - either way you are stealing their property and not paying them - that is what they care about.

Just because someone is getting a live or recorded PPV event or movie or subscription channel for FREE using Kodi - does not make it legal and does not mean that the owners will not try and stop them
    Where is all of this so called FREE content coming from - unless it is OTA or true FTA - someone is streaming it without their consent. The original guy streaming this illegal content is somehow getting paid - I doubt if he is doing it for free.
    The Kodi addon ap guys are probably stealing it from some illegal IPTV paid service - so without those guys what are you going to watch - OTA and FTA???

My point is I don't blame the paid IPTV services - they are providing an illegal service that a lot of people like and they are getting paid for it. If they don't get paid why would or should they provide the service?
    The guy that is grabbing it for free using a Kodi addon is not paying anything to support the paid IPTV services that are providing their FREE illegal channels - they are somehow leaching it without paying.

Is someone using a Kodi addon to leach these channels for free worse than the guy that supports his favourite IPTV service by paying them a fee?

It may sound like I am one of the resellers or dealers here at this site - but I have never sold any IPTV or IKS service to anyone here or at any other site.

I have aunts of my cousins' next door girlfriend's BFF that have tried most of the services here :-) and they don't mind paying.
    Last edited by jedi; 07-07-2016 at 11:15 PM.
    NipPEr Is a diSh liCkeR!
    4e697050457220497320612062755474206c69436b655221

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,047x in 328 Posts
    Items Cheetos
Gift received at 03-13-2020, 02:15 AM from BluegrassMonitor
Gift received at 03-13-2020, 02:15 AM from BluegrassDish
Gift received at 03-13-2020, 02:15 AM from BluegrassYacht
Gift received at 03-13-2020, 02:15 AM from BluegrassVintage truck
Gift received at 03-13-2020, 02:15 AM from BluegrassCamaro
Gift received at 03-13-2020, 02:15 AM from BluegrassTree
Gift received at 03-13-2020, 02:15 AM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 03-13-2020, 02:15 AM from Bluegrass

i still see these boxes for sale on kijiji in my local area.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lobsterpot For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,077x in 1,531 Posts
    Items USACokeFriesTVDishBurgerBox of crappoison

Why is it that people use the excuse that it is priced to high so they should be allowed to steal the product? It is a product for sale and if you want free there is always OTA that is pretty much the way it was when I was a kid. Some areas had more to chose from than others.

I drive a a Jeep but would love a Hummer but can't afford the price tag. Does this mean I can go steal one because I think they are over priced, no it doesn't so I will stay with my Jeep.

There are already a lot of stupid @zz's out there that are trying to ruin it for the rest of us all the way around. About all you see is whining, crying, pi**ing and moaning. Everyone can do what they want but I for one have not and would not ever buy a preloaded box...fta and or iptv with anything period. Seen some s**t as of late that just makes me shake my head. One could believe a lot of the stuff that got posted years back but now it is to a point you can't hardly believe anything...truly sad.
    Last edited by abouttosnap; 07-07-2016 at 11:46 PM.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to abouttosnap For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,209x in 1,068 Posts
    Items Toaster

a work around is already being tested , the other one was solved ....... i don't see a problem for this one .........

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nob0dy For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,949x in 826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke2 - GS2 View Post
    This is part of what the defendant posted on his gofundme account.

I do think there is some truth to start out with going after the small guys first. Take on a large retailer they could face possibly a stiff legal challenge.

This defendant has collected so far $185.00 out of his goal of collecting $30,000. I feel sympathetic to him as he probably did not think he was doing anything illegal but honestly think he should pack it in as really don't see much chance of being successful. His business is shut down unless he wants to violate the injunction issued against him. If he was able to operate while trying to defend this lawsuit than maybe financially he would have a chance but unfortunately he lost in court.

One argument that maybe could have been raised that appears it wasn't was an argument that his Canadian charter rights are being violated with section 2b of the Charter that says

However most likely the court would say your charter rights don't extend to infringement on copyrights

GS2
    Your charter rights do not give you the right to steal someone elses product or work.

Don't get me wrong here I stream but hell there is no defense for stealing, non what so ever.

So IMO it's time to suck it up and move on!
    Last edited by Benney; 07-08-2016 at 01:39 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benney For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 33x in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OpSec View Post
    a work around is already being tested , the other one was solved ....... i don't see a problem for this one .........
    A work around for what? Last time I heard work around we were talking plastic days, please elaborate.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 33x in 13 Posts

A few months ago I took my girls family across the border into San Diego for some shopping.

No joke in the middle of the mall they had a kiosk set up, with no one at the kiosk but they had a android box running that said, Free PPV, Free Box Office Movies, Cut the Cord on Cable, Free UFC, all that bs.

$400 with a two year warranty and a toll free number to call.

I believe it was Skystream or one of those companies that always advertise on the internet.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494x in 807 Posts
    Items Vintage carCheckered FlagCanadaElephant 2RepMedalMartiniDish

Quote Originally Posted by GNCSUX View Post
    A work around for what? Last time I heard work around we were talking plastic days, please elaborate.
    I had the same question when I read that post - what work around are you talking about OpSec?
    NipPEr Is a diSh liCkeR!
    4e697050457220497320612062755474206c69436b655221

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by GNCSUX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    I had the same question when I read that post - what work around are you talking about OpSec?
    you will see a message STB blocked please called your ISP provider .......... like i said it will be fixed .......... again

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Items Toaster

Your charter rights do not give you the right to steal someone elses product or work.

Don't get me wrong here I stream but hell there is no defense for stealing, non what so ever.

So IMO it's time to suck it up and move on!

no such thing as charter ...... eg below

Code:
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/new-721724-charter-service.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast