The actor is accused of illegally obtaining drugs for his former partner.

By Naomi Gordon

Jim Carrey has released a statement in response to a lawsuit being filed against him for allegedly obtaining drugs illegally for his former partner, who died from an overdose.
Cathriona White - who was 30 - overdosed on prescription drugs including Ambien, Propranolol and Percocet last year, according to the coroner's office.
The estranged husband of White, Mark Burton, has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Hollywood actor, claiming he used his "immense wealth and celebrity status" to illegally obtain the prescription drugs.
Carrey has now said that the filing of the lawsuit was a "terrible shame", adding: "It would be easy for me to get in a back room with this man's lawyer and make this go away, but there are some moments in life when you have to stand up and defend your honour against the evil in this world.

"I will not tolerate this heartless attempt to exploit me or the woman I loved.

"Cat's troubles were born long before I met her and sadly her tragic end was beyond anyone's control.
"I really hope that some day soon people will stop trying to profit from this and let her rest in peace."
The lawsuit seeks reimbursement for funeral expenses, legal fees and punitive damages of an undisclosed amount.
Carrey and White first met back in 2012, and had an on/off relationship for three years.
When news of her death first broke last autumn, Carrey said She was a truly kind and delicate Irish flower, too sensitive for this soil, to whom loving and being loved was all that sparkled.

"My heart goes out to her family and friends and to everyone who loved and cared about her."