Thread: Which satellites am I using

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts

Default Which satellites am I using

I haven't received my dreamlink t5 in the mail yet and cant hardly wait to give it a try.

I'm wondering which satellites are being picked up on my current setup. I will assume 119 and 110 but the third on no where can I tell what it's hitting.

My setup is the new dish 1000, located in S.E. Ky. I have a paid sub to dish and they setup the thing on the roof.

Would I get the net stb and just scan one satellite to see if I gets channels? Like only enter 129w on disq 3 or 71w

This may be real simple once I get the stb, I'm just excited to get back into testing again.

Thanks
    HD

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523x in 764 Posts

Odds are we would need a pic to be able to judge. If the dish is prov one, then they are not likely (as I understand it) to be using diseqc. Try doing a little reading on dishpro LNBs in this section:
    http://www.satfix.to/forumdisplay.ph...n-and-Pictures

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts

Playing with the setup\installation on the E* stb, I seems it will lock on 72.7 and 61.5 but not 119 or 110.
    So is it possible that I'm not even using 119 and 110?
    I thought the thing had to use 119 and 110 61.5 for HD. (been a long time since I was testing).
    Ive never here of just using 61.5, 72.7 and 77. Are these new and for HD?

So is this the settings I will be using when I get the new stb?
    For the D1000.1: East coast
    Diseqc port #1 = 72.7W
    Diseqc port #2 = 61.5W
    Diseqc port #3 = 77W
    And will I have to use a power inserter with a dreamlink t5 hd?

What pic's would you need to see? The front of the dish, lnb's or back of the dish?
    Thanks for ur help, I feel like I'm a spoon feed newbie again, a lot has changed since I was in this hobby.
    HD

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,700x in 3,253 Posts
    Items PhoneHeartVintage truck
Gift received at 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM from ICEMAN
Message: thank you budTVCoffee makerPinkfloydthe travel gnomeTractor

Quote Originally Posted by harddrive4096 View Post
    Playing with the setup\installation on the E* stb, I seems it will lock on 72.7 and 61.5 but not 119 or 110.
    So is it possible that I'm not even using 119 and 110?
    I thought the thing had to use 119 and 110 61.5 for HD. (been a long time since I was testing).
    Ive never here of just using 61.5, 72.7 and 77. Are these new and for HD?

So is this the settings I will be using when I get the new stb?
    For the D1000.1: East coast
    Diseqc port #1 = 72.7W
    Diseqc port #2 = 61.5W
    Diseqc port #3 = 77W
    And will I have to use a power inserter with a dreamlink t5 hd?

What pic's would you need to see? The front of the dish, lnb's or back of the dish?
    Thanks for ur help, I feel like I'm a spoon feed newbie again, a lot has changed since I was in this hobby.
    HD

Yes you will need a power inserter with the 3 LNB setup from dish.
    ♫♫♫ I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK ♫♫♫ I drink all night and sleep all day. ♫♫♫

Coming soon to a crop circle near you.....

There is a 66 and third % chance that I'm on the right planet...

"I'm happier then a Jackalope in a balloon factory"

"First rule of testing satellites"
    "If its working fine now, then don't mess with it"

"Second rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and now it doesn't work, can you blame someone else?"

"Third rule of testing satellites"
    "If you did mess with it, and it doesn't work now, and you can't blame someone else"
    "Can you HIDE it"?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523x in 764 Posts

Don't know why, but last night I started thinking about this post's question. How can you tell what satellites you are pointed at.
    There is an app for that called dishpointer that should give one an idea of where in the sky satellites are and you could try to match what the dish seems to be pointed toward.
    You could wait for the sun to cast a shadow on the dish and use a solar angle (Azmuth (AZ) and elevation (EL)) calculator on the web to see where the sun is at that time for your latitude and longitude and get a good idea of where the center of the dish is pointed (you would have to do a little geometry to figure out the LNB effective AZ EL).
    If you can't wait for the sun to be in the right spot, or it is not the time of year the sun would cast a shadow on the dish, then you can use a sun dial while you are standing in a line with the center of dish and the LNB arm (as close as you can do that). Then the solar angle on the dial and your positioning gives you an idea of the dish AZ angle.
    Or you can use a compass that lets you figure position relative to magnetic north while you stand on the line of LNB arm to center of dish.
    Most of the methods only give a general idea of the center line of the dish AZ, but there are only a few satellites that they could be using--so, that should get you to the specific ones. The geometry of LNB uses the focal length and the distance from center line to LNB feed to compute the tangent angle that is used and thus the relative angle using the center line angle. tan(angle)=(center line distance to LNB waveguide)/(focal length)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jvvh5897 For This Useful Post: