Thread: Outdoor rated RG6 cable

darthnihlus Guest

Default Outdoor rated RG6 cable

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

I installed my lines 4 years ago using RG6 cable I bought from HDepot in 500 ft bulk. Several months ago I lost signal on 129 and several TP on 119 had degradation in Q. I thought maybe it was my switch or the lnbs but iut turns out it was the lines. The outer covering was very brittle and worn away in certain sections.

Is there a specific type of RG6 cable I should be using for outdoor? Links to vendors would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 69x in 43 Posts
    Items Rose
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM from ICEMAN

Belden 7916A is one of the best RG6 coax products out there; quad shield, solid copper center conductor. Seems like it's right around $85 for a 500' spool.

1829AC is the standard RG-6, it's approved by Dish and DirecTV as well. Not quad shield, but that's not a big deal if you're not running long distance. This one will be a little more flexible if that's a concern.

Commscope also makes good cable, not sure of the part numbers off hand though. Whatever you choose to go with, don't use white cable outside. The white cable doesn't have the same UV treatment as black cable does, so it will crack much faster. Also use compression connectors, especially outside. They do a much better job at keeping water out. Wrench tightening (but not too tight) is also a good idea.
    Satellite Equipment:
    10' Orbitron, Openbox S9, General Instrument 920
    Shaw subscription, HDPVR630, 2x HDDSR600,
    1m Channel Master (125w), Coolsat 8000

OTA Equipment:
    Unknown model VHF/UHF combo antenna, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Channel Master rotator, 35' Rohn 20G tower

Pollypurabred Guest

Try this site, believe colo(u)r is not a problem any more.
    Code:
    http://www.cyberxlink.com/store/c/871-Outdoor-Direct-Burial.aspx
    Love to have feedback especially since I have seen my neighbor (last week) have new install and this is what Comcast installed.

wildman25 Guest

Actually, with running 4 lines, I would invest in some black plastic (at least 1 inch) waterline. Run the cables through it to protect it from acid and such in the soil, and of course sharp rocks too. Another perk is if you ever have to re-do the setup, you can run the wires without re-digging your yard.

I suggested 1 inch or above because I have 3 lines running through 3/4, and it was a little tight. Best way to run for me is to run one wire through and then use it to pull the final wires through.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 69x in 43 Posts
    Items Rose
Gift received at 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM from ICEMAN

Yep, anything underground should be in PVC conduit, it's fairly inexpensive as well. Install a length of rope as you're assembling the conduit, so that you have something to pull cable with. Another really good idea is to pull another piece of rope through along with the cables so that you have it for installing future runs.

If you use direct-burial flooded cable, DO NOT use it inside. The liquid inside the cable jacket is quite messy.
    Satellite Equipment:
    10' Orbitron, Openbox S9, General Instrument 920
    Shaw subscription, HDPVR630, 2x HDDSR600,
    1m Channel Master (125w), Coolsat 8000

OTA Equipment:
    Unknown model VHF/UHF combo antenna, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Channel Master rotator, 35' Rohn 20G tower

swingbozo Guest

Belden sells a buriable quad shield cable from hell with sealable goo inside, but I don't remember the number off the top of my head. I was debating about selling this stuff as the best RG-6 cable money can buy. Unfortunately cost to me was over $1 a foot and that was directly from Belden. Only the weirdest person on earth would spend $2 a foot for RG-6 cable where I could break even so I decided it wasn't a reasonable business move. In it's defense it's lasted in a salt heavy environment over 8 years with zero problems.
    Last edited by swingbozo; 12-22-2011 at 03:09 AM.