PDA

View Full Version : non powerd inline signal booster

bryan35
04-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Anyone use one and have a boost in signal. I tried one on an antenna and I lost signal. Do these things work. The ine I tried is used. Not sure if it is faulty? Not sure if Ishould buy a new one and try it.

Terryl
04-07-2012, 05:56 PM
No a non-powered signal booster will do nothing to increase your satellite signal, and as you found out all it did is drop the signal.

The in-line boosters they sell for $50 or so are nothing but a bag of junk, to really boost a satellite signal from a LNB that is running from 900 MHz to 2400 MHz, you would need a professional signal amp, and it would have to be a bi-directional one, it would have to pass DC voltage to power the LNB, and depending on the LNB type it would have to follow the +14 and +18 volt switching voltage for a legacy LNB.

It would also have to pass the Diseqc 22 KHz signals used to control the internal Diseqc switch inside a DP LNB.

So if your not willing to spend over $700 on a good in-line amp, then I would look into replacing the coax with some good quality RG-6 quad shielded coax that has a pure copper center conductor.

And you also might need a bigger satellite dish.

To check on what size dish is needed in your area take a look at the link I posted below, select the satellite your trying to pick up, then select the little globe to the right on the listing, this will give you a foot print map of the satellites coverage area, then zoom into your location and click on it, this will give you an idea on what sized dish is needed.

http://www.satbeams.com

bryan35
04-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the info.

conk
04-11-2012, 12:29 AM
I agree with Terryl.
I tried one of the real cheap in line ones and it did absolutely nothing so I removed it.