PDA

View Full Version : Bruins sign Satan to bolster offense |

KIDWCKED
01-05-2010, 03:33 PM
c\p from espn
By Matt Kalman
ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON, Mass. -- The Bruins made the signing of veteran winger Miroslav Satan official Sunday and he was on the ice skating at the team's practice at Ristuccia Arena in Wilmington, Mass.

Satan

"I think this is a team which will have a chance to go deep in the playoffs and I think the way the team is built, I think it could use a player like me," Satan said.

Satan's friendship with Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara also played a part.

"He's an experienced guy. We all know. He's been in the league many years," said Chara about the 13-year veteran. "He's been on winning teams, not just obviously last year with Pittsburgh, but he's been on national teams where he won gold, silver and bronze. So he knows what it takes to win and hopefully he can help us."

"He's a guy who has shown that he's capable of scoring some goals, so we hope he's going to provide some of that and also some competition," Bruins coach Claude Julien said Saturday. "With [Milan Lucic] coming back, him coming into our lineup eventually, there's no doubt there's going to be some stiff competition and some tough decisions on my part. But you've heard me say that before, I'd rather have hard decisions than no decisions to make at all."

Satan, 35, is a veteran of more than 1,000 NHL games and has scored 354 goals. He's a long way from his lone 40-goal season (1998-99 with the Buffalo Sabres) but he scored 35 as recently as 2005-06 with the New York Islanders and chipped in 17 goals in 65 games for the Stanley Cup winning Pittsburgh Penguins last season. The offensively challenged Bruins rank 26th in the league with just 2.5 goals per game.

The deal is for one-year, $700,000, ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun confirmed.