PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys to WR: 'We'll have stingers out, too'

KIDWCKED
01-06-2010, 11:39 PM
c\p from espn
IRVING, Texas -- The rivalry between the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles just wouldn't feel right without an explosive, trash-talking wide receiver. DeSean Jackson has filled that role leading up to the rematch in the first round of the NFC playoffs.

The Cowboys contained Jackson while sweeping the regular-season series against the Eagles, but the Pro Bowl receiver has been popping off in cyberspace.

About an hour after the Cowboys shut out the Eagles to claim the NFC East championship, setting up the rematch Saturday night at Cowboys Stadium, Jackson declared on Twitter: "we gonna sting they ass next week."

Jackson, who has been held to five catches for 76 yards and no touchdowns in the two losses to Dallas, followed that up by scoffing at a fan's question about the Cowboys' success against him during a video appearance Tuesday on UStream.

"Mike Jenkins ain't never shut me down, so y'all chill out over there," Jackson said. "Them boys are scared of me. I'm a dual threat on that field. They be having like four people on your boy out there, but it's all good. I probably get man coverage like 10 percent every game. But I like those odds. I'll take that."

Jenkins, who had watched the video of Jackson, laughed at what he heard.

"It's just talk," said Jenkins, a second-year cornerback whose emergence as a star was critical to the Cowboys allowing the fewest points in the NFC. "I find it quite funny, I guess. He doesn't do as much talking on the field. I mean -- computer, field? It's not physical. I think it's kind of funny.

"We don't really have nothing to talk about. It's been two games. Look at the stats. We let our stats talk. We let our game play talk."

Jenkins, who has actually matched up with rookie receiver Jeremy Maclin on most snaps while Terence Newman covered Jackson, did want to address Jackson's contention that the Cowboys are giving him extraordinary attention.

The Cowboys have primarily played man coverage with normal help from the safeties against the Eagles this season, mixing in some zone coverage to keep Philadelphia guessing.

"It's been a lot of talk, too, about double-covering or triple-covering this guy," Jenkins said. "I haven't seen it yet. We single it up. We call [man] every play. There's one man on him and we're just sitting in it.

"We're holding our own and that's pretty much it. We're holding our own. That's pretty much it. We're not doing anything special for him or anybody else."

Jackson wasn't nearly as brash during his conference call with Dallas media on Wednesday morning as he had been in cyberspace.

When asked about his comment that the Cowboys are scared of him, Jackson said he's a confident player who feels that way against any team he plays. He called Jenkins and Newman "pretty good players" but said the Eagles receivers should have the advantage in those matchups.

"We definitely got embarrassed, and we have to come back this week and make different arrangements," Jackson said. "They've contained me, if that's what you want to call it. They're doing a good job playing together. It's not really about myself. It's about the team. We've got to go out there and win."

Most of the Cowboys hadn't seen video of Jackson saying they were scared of him. Jenkins joked that if safeties Ken Hamlin and Gerald Sensabaugh saw the clip, "They're probably going to go at his head."

Jenkins indicated that he'd make sure to show Hamlin and Sensabaugh the video before Saturday night.

Jackson's Twitter comments had already made the rounds at the Cowboys' Valley Ranch facility.

"That's just to give you something to talk about," linebacker Bradie James said. "He's a good player and certain players can actually back that up. He might be one of those guys. Of course, we'll have our stingers out, too, waiting for him."