PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Hatton vs. Floyd Mayweather: How much of a mismatch is this?

KIDWCKED
01-06-2010, 11:56 PM
c\p by
By Sean McDaniel: Welterweight Matthew Hatton (37-4-2, 14 KO’s) has had his name mentioned as a potential opponent for Floyd Mayweather Jr. if his negotiations with Manny Pacquiao pan out for their March 13th bout in Las Vegas, Nevada. Many boxing fans are alarmed at Hatton, 28, being considered by Mayweather for a bout, as they see Hatton as totally unqualified for a fight with someone as talented as Mayweather. But who knows? Maybe Hatton could show some things an open some eyes by fighting over his head.

Some people just need a chance to prove themselves, and they’re capable of accomplishing a great deal if given the chance. Maybe Hatton is that kind of fighter. He certainly comes from a good fighting family. His brother is Ricky Hatton, a two division world champion, who has beaten talented fighters like Kostya Tszyu, Luis Collazo, Ben Tackie, and Paulie Malignaggi.

The younger Matthew Hatton could have some of the talent that his older brother has, and just needs an opponent like Mayweather to bring it out of him. Matthew Hatton has been fighting incredibly well as of late, winning four out of his last five fights. I think an argument can be made that Hatton won his last bout, a 12 round draw with IBO welterweight champion Lovemore N’dou. Hatton looked great in that fight, showing superb skills and giving N’dou a boxing lesson through most of the fight.

I think people are being unfair about Matthew. The man is quite talented, and will do a lot better against Mayweather than many people think. I can see Hatton doing a better job than his brother Ricky or Juan Manuel Marquez, who was recently shut out by Mayweather in a one-sided fight in September.