PDA

View Full Version : Will Haye ever fight the Klitschko brothers?

KIDWCKED
01-06-2010, 11:58 PM
c\p by
By Chris Williams: The more I think about it the more I see World Boxing Association heavyweight champion David Haye never fighting either of the Klitschko brothers. Why should he? All Haye has to do is name drop one or both of the Klitschko brothers’ names and he gets a ton of attention almost as if he’s actually fighting them. Haye doesn’t need the Klitschko brothers to do well financially. He’s got a fight coming up next with his mandatory challenger John Ruiz, which Haye should win without too many problems.

Next, Haye will almost surely opt for a rematch with former WBA heavyweight champion Nikolay Valuev for another easy payday. Haye should be able to win the Valuev as long as he doesn’t get clipped by one of Valuev’s big clubbing shots. You never can be too sure, though, because Haye’s chin isn’t the sturdiest and his stamina is questionable as well.

However, Haye should be able to win that fight by moving continuously like he did last time out and not giving Valuev too many chances to corner him. Next, Haye would be looking at fighting Australian Kali Meehan or former WBA heavyweight champion Ruslan Chagaev. Both of those fights should be winnable for Haye. I say ‘should’, because Meehan has good size, decent power and might blast Haye out if he attacks him hard at the start of the fight.

Chagaev is also dangerous. He had problems against 6’6” Wladimir Klitschko, but that was because Chagaev was giving away five to six inches in height to Wladimir. Against Haye, Chagaev would be essentially the same height as Haye and wouldn’t have problems taking his heavy shots. Chagaev has a great chin, and if he can weather an early storm by Haye, it’s reasonable to assume that he could land a hard enough shot to topple Haye over and knock him out.

Haye probably won’t stay in one place against him, and will likely adopt the same hit and run technique that he used in his fight with Valuev. Haye isn’t very light on his feet and looks kind of bulky and lethargic moving around, but he should be able to land enough pot shots against Chagaev to get a win. Once those guys are out of the way, the fights should get easier for Haye.

Haye can fight Kevin Johnson, who showed very little offense in losing to Vitali Klitschko recently or Russian Denis Boytsov, a fighter very similar to Chagaev in size and punching style. Haye can probably beat all these guys. This is why I think Haye won’t bother to fight the Klitschko brothers and will instead take the easy money by defending the WBA title for a number of years before retiring.

The more fights Haye wins, the more money he’ll make. He’ll be able to sell out huge stadiums in England where the fans will gladly scoop up tickets probably no matter who he fights. Haye doesn’t need the Klitschko brothers, and I think he’ll realize that soon enough and decide upon taking the easy route by avoiding the Klitschko brothers.