PDA

View Full Version : External WiFi antenna

stecle
05-21-2012, 11:13 PM
I am trying to connect to some of the local businesses that offer free WiFi near my cottage. I have an Alfa AWUS036H adapter. I thought I would add an external antenna to increase the signal strength. I purchased the TL-ANT2415D 2.4GHz 15dBi Outdoor Omni-directional Antenna.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-ANT2415D#over

Here is the problem. The AWUS036H adapter provides more signal with its little 6 inch antenna than the Outdoor Omni-directional Antenna! At this point I am thinking of putting the AWUS036H adapter on the roof of the cottage in a weatherproof box and forgetting about the outdoor antenna.

Just wondering if I am missing something here?

Thanks

Steve

havenlyskyhigh
05-21-2012, 11:30 PM
If you had a good extend cable running AWUSO36H out of your window it better than the expansive one, the outdoor Omin it just cause out of your poket.

Terryl
05-21-2012, 11:50 PM
It's not the adapter, it's the long run of coax cable to the antenna, the adapter runs at 2.5 GHz, that thin stuff is not that good over 4 feet.

To run it correctly you need some good coax, RG-214 is good, but expensive.

Take a look at Buffalo.com, they have some good WIFI coax.

And the AWUS adapter has a USB interface, if you extend it out more then 10 feet, you will need active USB extension cables to run it right.

I have used several of these adapters in the past, the best way was to use the active USB extension cables out to a 2 or 4 port powered USB hub, and everything inside a water tight box, this way the power hungry AWUS adapter is not starved for DC power.

I have run this type of setup out to 75 feet using the active USB extensions, and a small USB hub at the end.

Terryl
05-21-2012, 11:55 PM
If you want to put the AWUS outside, just use some 2" or 3" PVC white water pipe.

What I have done is use some 3" PVC, about 12" long, then a cap on top (don't glue the cap on), the a 3" to 1" PVC threaded adapter, (you glue this to the 12" piece.

Then a small 1" mast to hold it up, and the cables can run up the center.

One thing, the AWUS will get hot, so if you can, mount it out of the direct sun light.

mechanicman
05-22-2012, 01:09 AM
i have same alfa usb adapter. i keep the alfa plugged into laptop, i bought a long quality cable from ebay... not cheap... ran it to the roof and installed a home made type biquad antenna.. search ebay..
the alfa new directional panel antenna works well also...i use that when i go on the road with laptop.. just screw in the alfa directional panel antenna and good to go..

stecle
05-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Terryl, I connected the Alfa to the Outdoor Omni-directional Antenna with a 1 foot jumper cable. I then connected the little 6 inch factory antenna to the Alfa and the signal was higher. I used Net Stumbler to check the signal levels. I am very disappointed that I spent $75 on the Outdoor Omni-directional Antenna that is actually a worse performer than the 6 inch factory antenna. :censored:

I am going to implement your idea about using the PVC pipe. I assume you suggest using white pipe to keep the Alfa cool? What about using a USB cable outdoors? I wonder how it would last in the sun? Monoprice has a USB extender cable that has a jack to connect an external 5 volt power supply. I was thinking of using an old computer PS as it has plenty of current off the 5 volt rail.

Mechanicman, I was wondering if you did any signal level tests using the factory antenna versus the directional panel antenna? Alfa also has a 2 watt model but I read some reports that I did not perform any better that the 1 watt model. I am very impressed with the Alfa AWUS036H.

Thanks for all the great info everyone!

Steve

mechanicman
05-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Alfa AWUS036H is same i have. the new panel antenna seems to work very well..did not do much testing but i did hit some quite far away signals..seemed almost same as biquad antenna..
the question is do you get a long usb cable and keep the alfa far from computer or should you get a long coaxial type antenna cable and keep the Alfa AWUS036H close to computer and run long cable to roof.. i think long usb will not work properly...

Terryl, I connected the Alfa to the Outdoor Omni-directional Antenna with a 1 foot jumper cable. I then connected the little 6 inch factory antenna to the Alfa and the signal was higher. I used Net Stumbler to check the signal levels. I am very disappointed that I spent $75 on the Outdoor Omni-directional Antenna that is actually a worse performer than the 6 inch factory antenna. :censored:

I am going to implement your idea about using the PVC pipe. I assume you suggest using white pipe to keep the Alfa cool? What about using a USB cable outdoors? I wonder how it would last in the sun? Monoprice has a USB extender cable that has a jack to connect an external 5 volt power supply. I was thinking of using an old computer PS as it has plenty of current off the 5 volt rail.

Mechanicman, I was wondering if you did any signal level tests using the factory antenna versus the directional panel antenna? Alfa also has a 2 watt model but I read some reports that I did not perform any better that the 1 watt model. I am very impressed with the Alfa AWUS036H.

Thanks for all the great info everyone!

Steve

slugworth
05-23-2012, 01:05 AM
long usb with the alfa,the connections drop off 1 by 1 until none left.
I use a short usb and a 10dbi stick antenna with plastic removed on the front of a wok lid on tripod aimed out the window.
The funny part is,with a long usb it performed better knocking the speed down to usb1.1 by disabling the enhanced usb controller in the pc.