PDA

View Full Version : New Powerline Networking kits from NetGear

dan9999
01-07-2010, 04:39 PM
New Powerline Networking kits from NetGear
Digital Home
January 6, 2010

In older homes it can often be very expensive and sometimes impossible to create a wired or wireless home network.

In situations such as this, Powerline technology enables consumers to use their existing electrical wiring to connect routers, computers, high-definition media players, game consoles, and network attached storage devices.

Most Powerline kits sold today include two Powerline wall plugs/ adapters which plug directly into any wall outlet in your home. The first adapter gets plugged in beside your router and is connected to the router via Ethernet cable. The second adaptor is plugged into a power outlet near the device you wish to communicate with. A typical example may be a Blu-ray player or video game console near your home theatre. Additional adaptors can be purchased for devices in other parts of your home.

At CES, Netgear announced the addition of two new Powerline kits to its lineup, the diminutive Powerline 200 AV Adapter Kit (XAVB2001) and the Powerline 200 AV+ Adapter Kit (XAVB2501) with a filtered “pass-through” power socket.

The primary benefit of the new kits over existing solutions says the company is an increase of up to 20% in data throughput. Other features include: advanced energy management and standby capabilities provide with wake-on-activity functionality; prioritized Quality of Service (QoS); “push-and-secure” functionality enables average users to install and secure the devices with 128-Bit AES encryption without any software configuration: and compatibility with other HomePlug AV-certified products.

The Powerline 200 AV Adapter Kit (XAVB2001) is HomePlug AV-certified, features up to 200 Mbps performance throughput, is smaller than a deck of cards and up to 50 percent smaller than competing products. The kit contains two adapters will be available worldwide in January 2010 for $149 U.S. Single adapters will be sold separately for $79 U.S.

The Powerline 200 AV+ Adapter Kit shares the same performance and design as the Powerline 200 AV Adapter but adds in a filtered power socket for “pass-through” capability. This ensures that customers don’t cannibalize an existing wall power socket with the adapter. The Powerline 200 AV+ Adapter Kit (XAVB2501) containing two adapters will be available worldwide in February 2010 for $169 U.S. Single adapters will sell for $89 U.S.

Soah
01-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Anything about a limitation on distance?

Also I wonder, Think I could put one in at my house and then one in at my brothers, 3 houses down on the same power grid.
heh

StanW
01-08-2010, 04:38 PM

Also I wonder, Think I could put one in at my house and then one in at my brothers, 3 houses down on the same power grid.
heh
Doubt that will work . Cheaper to have your brother get a wireless routr , flash it with dd-wrt and work as a repeater . All for $50 ( assuming you have a wifi router yourself)

Night Prowler
01-08-2010, 04:39 PM

heh

lol....nice thought.....but I'm pretty sure not.....:D

I don't think there is a distance limitation within the building and being on the same circuit....;)