PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks fire coach Mora after one season

KIDWCKED
01-08-2010, 08:02 PM
c\p from espn
Seattle Seahawks coach Jim Mora has been fired, the first coach in team history to be let go after one season.

Mora

Mora attended a meeting Friday morning with management, at which time he was told Seattle did not win enough games to save his job, a source said. The Seahawks lost their final four games to finish 5-11.

"We've made a tough decision today," Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke said in a statement. "It became apparent after conducting an extensive internal audit that a new direction was needed to provide an opportunity for the organization to be successful. Today's decision, while difficult, is part of the process in building a franchise with a new vision in 2010."

The Seahawks now have to hire a coach as well as a general manager; Tim Ruskell, who picked Mora to be Holmgren's replacement, resigned during the season. Seattle spoke to Holmgren about the opening but both sides couldn't come to an agreement before the end of the regular season.

The Seahawks plan to begin interviewing general manager candidates next week.

"This team, more importantly this community, means so much to me that it hurts not being able to see this through," Mora said in a team-issued statement. "I am disappointed I did not get the chance to complete my contract. This is a tough business that sometimes demands immediate gratification."

Mora joined the Seahawks in February 2008 on a five-year contract that called for him to transition to head coach once Mike Holmgren retired. Mora was an assistant for the 2008 season, then succeeded Holmgren.

Mora is believed to have about $12 million remaining on the final three years of his contract.

Once Mora was fired, the Seahawks called the Minnesota Vikings to seek permission to interview defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, the source told Clayton. According to ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen, Frazier declined.