PDA

View Full Version : LNB problem?

suncomkid
06-20-2012, 04:59 PM
I have my dish aimed at 110/119 and have been working great for almost 10 years. Now, Im losing signal on some of the 110 channels. I get low quality on some TPs and great quality on others. 119 is working flawless. I changed the switch outside and still the same. Could this be a prob with the lnb? Just wanted to ask if anyone else had a prob like this before I purchase a new one.
Thanks ahead of time.

Terryl
06-20-2012, 05:18 PM
10 years is a good service life on an LNB, but there could be a frequency drift problem, or a polarity switching problem.
Types of LNB you are using would help us a bit.

Are all the channels your having problems with on one transponder?

you can look here for a list of channels on that satellite.

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish110_sid.html

Find the channels your having problems with, then look at the TP number (second box in from the channel number) write this down, then select the "Sorted by frequency" this will bring up a list by TP or frequency, find your channels.

If all of the channels are in one transponder (TP) polarity (L or R) then you have a switch, coax jumper, connector or LNB problem.

suncomkid
06-20-2012, 06:14 PM
The non-working channels are on different TPs and polarity (Some H some V) but other channels and Tps come in great. I already changed the switch, checked the cable running from the lnb. It is just a regular old lnb that you would have had on a DTV dish, nothing special.

Terryl
06-20-2012, 06:22 PM
DTV....LNB???

Time for a new one. (or two)
The best setup for just 110/119 is a Dish 500 with the DP twin LNB on it, no need for an external switch as it's built into the LNB.

You might even find one at a garage sale.

suncomkid
06-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Well, it prolly isnt a DTV lnb but looks the same. Old style but has been working flawless for like 10 years. Im picking up a new Bell dish that has 2 dual lnbs on it for $20 in town here.....Hopefully that helps the prob. My current Bev dish has the same lnb as my Dish one so Im just gonna swap it out and put the new lnb on Bev.
Ill report back and see what happens.....

Terryl
06-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Wait for the new bell dish, save some work, and climbing.

Glatt
06-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Is your problem that after 10 years you have trees that have grown to be in the way!

suncomkid
06-21-2012, 12:57 PM
No.....there arent any trees even close. Good thing is that my dish is on the back deck so there is no climbing.....
Will try it out later today and see if the new lnb helps.

coiphim
06-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Also, make sure the LNB and Dish is clean. This will increase the strenth and quality.

suncomkid
06-21-2012, 11:25 PM
If there is crud on the dish that will affect it? Never knew that......

Terryl
06-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Yes, bird doo can affect the signal, we had one guy (last hired) that had the job to clean the seagull crud off the dishes every week, they liked to sit on the LNB's and the top of the dish and ponder their next meal, while they passed the last one..