PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose of an inserter?

cliff
06-22-2012, 10:06 PM
I have heard that some time you will need a power inserter, but I was wondering when. I am running 2 different receivers from one dish with over 100 feet of coax. I have an inline amp on each line in but wondered if there is a better way. If an inserter is needed what type should I get and where is the best place to get it?

Dish Doctor
06-22-2012, 10:15 PM
You would need a power inserter if you are using DishPro or DishProPlus equipment (LNBs and switches). Generally most FTA receivers do not have enough power to operate the switch and LNBs. The Receiver needs to supply around 750 mA of current to the switch and LNBs. Check your recevier satelite coax connection and it will tell you the DC current output.

If you are not using DishPro or DishProPlus equipment, then you should be okay.

cliff
06-22-2012, 10:34 PM
I am using a DishPro lnb but no switch unless it is built in. Do i need 2 inverters, one for each of the receivers. Sorry to act so numb about this but it is all new to me and I really appreciate the help. What type of inserter do I need and where is a good place to get it?

billmik
06-22-2012, 11:09 PM
just use old dn receiver and you be okay

jazzman
06-22-2012, 11:26 PM
A power inserter usually comes with a DN DP switch 44 but can be purchased seperately. It is used to power DP and DPP plus lnbs' internal swithes when running more than 2 DP lnbs like for 110, 119 and 129. You would hook the power inserter into the #1 output of a multi output DP lnb. What type of lnbs and how many are you using?

cliff
06-22-2012, 11:43 PM
I am using a DishPro lnb for 110 & 119 but am considering adding 129. I am running 2 diff. receivers at this time. Do i get a D*** brand inserter?

jazzman
06-22-2012, 11:55 PM
You'll need the power inserter that comes with the DN DPP switch 44 or if you have a newer DN receiver lying around you can plug that in then run a cable from the lnb in on the receiver to the #1 output on your lnbs as long as it says 750 ma under where the lnb in is on the receiver. That will also power the internal switch.

cliff
06-23-2012, 12:07 AM
I have an older d*** receiver which reads 750 ma. If i us that receiver on the lnb out #1 and I have one of my fta receivers plugged into #2 out where would I plug my second fta receiver?

jazzman
06-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Sounds like you have a dish pro plus with 2 outs and 1 in for a third lnb. I'm no switch man but if that's the case you may need the switch44 with the power inserter...15162

cliff
06-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Ok thanks for your help.

Terryl
06-23-2012, 12:45 AM
I have heard that some time you will need a power inserter, but I was wondering when. I am running 2 different receivers from one dish with over 100 feet of coax. I have an inline amp on each line in but wondered if there is a better way. If an inserter is needed what type should I get and where is the best place to get it?

Get rid of the in-line amps, all they do is raise the noise floor, and make it harder to for the receiver to receive the transponders.

A Dish Pro LNB needs coax rated to 2.5 GHz or better to run right, a standard FTA receiver should power the DP LNB's without problems, (if you only have 2 LNB's) if it is a DP twin LNB (one large oval eye like Blues posted) then you don't need a power inserter, but you do need good coax, at 100 feet the signal loss will be higher on the cheap RG-6 coax, then on the good RG-6 quad coax with a pure copper center conductor.

But the coax must be swept to, or rated to 2.5 GHz or better.

The DC power inserter would be needed if your receiver can't run the setup after you add the 3rd LNB for 129.

cliff
06-23-2012, 01:11 AM
I appreciate all the great info and look forward to making the changes that have been suggested.

JCO
06-23-2012, 01:13 AM
When I read the title of the thread I was going to suggest .. Ask your girlfriend..:innocent: