PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys get first playoff win since 1996

KIDWCKED
01-10-2010, 04:11 PM
c\p from nfl.com
Associated Press

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Jerry Jones exclaimed, "demons are GONE!" Keith Brooking pretended to pull a monkey off the back of coach Wade Phillips.
And Tony Romo waxed poetic about the process, about getting better every game and hoping for a reward at the end.
In a way, each of their reactions was pretty appropriate considering all the ramifications of the Dallas Cowboys' 34-14 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles on Saturday night.
The Cowboys won their first playoff game since Dec. 28, 1996, easily the longest in the club's proud history. The skid included six losses; a seventh would've set an NFL record.
Phillips was 0-4 in the playoffs as a head coach, covering stints with Denver and Buffalo, too. Romo was 0-2, with bizarre circumstances surrounding each. Fittingly enough, Phillips' defense was a huge reason for this victory, and Romo broke the game open with five straight scoring drives in the second quarter.
"It's just ... rewarding," Romo said. "It makes me proud of the guys in there -- fighting, grinding, staying committed to the approach. I'm happy for the guys, happy for Wade, happy for Jerry."
The Cowboys have dominated their last four games, scoring early and never trailing in any of them. The defense has been the backbone, with the offense coming through with plenty of points and few turnovers. It's the way Dallas used to play this time of year back in the days of Roger Staubach and Tom Landry, and Troy Aikman and Jimmy Johnson.
Now, it's finally happening again under Romo and Phillips. Next up for them is a trip to Minnesota on Sunday, with Romo taking on childhood hero Brett Favre.
"This team has hung together all year, got stronger at the end of the year and is playing our best football," Phillips said. "I think we're playing as good as anybody right now."
The Eagles are one-and-done in the playoffs for the first time under coach Andy Reid. Philadelphia had been 7-0 in playoff openers with Reid and 6-0 with Donovan McNabb at quarterback