PDA

View Full Version : Silva Defeats Sonnen

The Cobra
07-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Cobra.....
Well that`ll keep Sonnen quiet for at least a little while....gotta give Sonnen credit tho, even with all the trash talk he took the loss like a man. He made a mistake and paid dearly for it.

TSN

LAS VEGAS -- Middleweight champion Anderson Silva stopped Chael Sonnen at 1:55 of the second round in UFC 148 on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Silva has successfully defended his title 10 times and had a 15-match winning streak.

In the second round, Sonnen fell to the canvas and up against the fence after missing with a wild spinning backfist and Silva capitalized, landing a knee to the chest and then a number of solid strikes, forcing the referee to stop the fight. The fight was a rematch of the 2010 fight of the year, where Sonnen dominated Silva for 4 1/2 rounds before losing by submission.

On Saturday night, Sonnen had an early takedown and kept Silva on the mat for almost the entire first round, easily winning the round on the scorecards.

Sonnen looked to take Silva down again in the second, pressing the action and forcing Silva up against the cage. The two separated and moved across the octagon, but Sonnen's miscue led to his quick demise.

Earlier, Forrest Griffin edged Tito Ortiz in a close unanimous decision in a bout matching former light heavyweight champions.

Griffin was able to land a number of kicks to the legs and body and controlled most of the fight that ended with three judges giving him a 29-28 edge. Ortiz rocked Griffin in the second and third rounds, flooring him with right hands, but Griffin rallied to sustain the attack.

On the undercard, Cung Le unanimously outpointed Patrick Cote for his first UFC victory, Damian Maia stopped Dong Hyun Kim in the first round, Chad Mendes rebounded from his first loss with an easy first-round victory over Cody McKenzie, and Mike Easton outpointed Ivan Menjivar.

In the preliminary bouts, Melvin Guillard earned his 11th UFC victory, and Khabib Nurmagomedov remained undefeated at 18-0, both winning unanimous decisions. Rafaello Oliveira, Shane Roller and Costa Philippou also won by unanimous decision.

TPB
07-08-2012, 09:43 PM
I gotta agree Cobra buddy. Sonnen handled himself like a pro in defeat and he gained my respect. Gotta hand it to the guy tho, even tho he talks the trash he is one that can seriously back it up. I honestly didn't expect the fight to go down that fast but Silva is Silva and pound for pound he is the best.

TLG
07-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Well Silva didn't destroy him like he promised but he did humble him
I still can't stand Sonnen

swanone
07-09-2012, 01:50 PM
it started off like a complete repeat of the first fight. early take down and full ground control by sonnen. was hopeing for the fight to longer but one mistake in the second when sonnen fell down and silva driving the hugh knee into his chest , that was the beginning of the end .

juka
07-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Sonnen is hard to like, but his fighting style is all or nothing.

TLG
07-09-2012, 05:54 PM
the fight was too short .. and i felt a bit ripped off .. LOL
given the hype and the events that led to this fight i would've
liked to have been witness to alot more than what i got !!

a prefect fight for me would've went 5 rounds ,, with Silva
beating on Sonnen till there was nothing left but burger meat !! LOL

oh yeah,,, with a lot of Sonnens blood soiling the canvas ..

one good thing about finishing so soon is ,, now Sonnen with out
a doubt , can shout his foul mouth about Silva being lucky and all
that other verbal diarrhea he was spewing cause the UFC world
saw him take his punishment in the first half of the second round ..

Silva made fast work of the trash talking Sonnen , so fast in fact....
that he wipped him between poker hands ... LOL

Hopefully Sonnen will keep his promose and disappear from the UFC
for ever .... good riddance

TLG
07-09-2012, 06:02 PM
C/P

Anderson Silva (32-4) silenced all his critics with another comeback performance, successfully defending his UFC middleweight championship with a TKO win over Chael Sonnen (27-12-1) at UFC 148.

There was a lot of trash talk going into this bout, mostly stemming from the first fight and how dominant Sonnen was for four of those rounds.

In the next few slides, were going to analyze the striking and grappling statistics for this fight and what impact it had on the outcome.

Sonnen did most of the work, just like last time, but got caught with a huge error and it snowballed into a defeat.

UFC president Dana White says Silva isn't slowing down, despite being 37 years of age.

That's the thing, nobody ever thinks about, nobody ever talks about it. Nobody ever says 'Oh, this guys pushing 40'. He's an amazing fighter, an incredible athlete. The guy is an artist with his hands and feet, said White.

He didn't look like he was slowing down tonight. He fought a motivated, fired up, in shape, aggressive Chael Sonnen tonight. A Chael Sonnen who did what he said he was going to do, he put him on his back, he roughed him up like nobody else has, again, and he came out and he won in the second round. The guy is a freak of nature, I just think he's the greatest fighter of all time.

The Cobra
07-09-2012, 10:35 PM
C/P

Anderson Silva (32-4) silenced all his critics with another comeback performance, successfully defending his UFC middleweight championship with a TKO win over Chael Sonnen (27-12-1) at UFC 148.

There was a lot of trash talk going into this bout, mostly stemming from the first fight and how dominant Sonnen was for four of those rounds.

In the next few slides, were going to analyze the striking and grappling statistics for this fight and what impact it had on the outcome.

Sonnen did most of the work, just like last time, but got caught with a huge error and it snowballed into a defeat.

UFC president Dana White says Silva isn't slowing down, despite being 37 years of age.

That's the thing, nobody ever thinks about, nobody ever talks about it. Nobody ever says 'Oh, this guys pushing 40'. He's an amazing fighter, an incredible athlete. The guy is an artist with his hands and feet, said White.

He didn't look like he was slowing down tonight. He fought a motivated, fired up, in shape, aggressive Chael Sonnen tonight. A Chael Sonnen who did what he said he was going to do, he put him on his back, he roughed him up like nobody else has, again, and he came out and he won in the second round. The guy is a freak of nature, I just think he's the greatest fighter of all time.

I`m with you most of the way bud....but I`ll save that "greatest fighter" for a healthy GSP

KIDWCKED
07-09-2012, 10:42 PM
I`m with you most of the way bud....but I`ll save that "greatest fighter" for a healthy GSP

Even if Silva dropped to 170 2nd KO for Anderson...GSP will get hurt..

scooby8888
07-10-2012, 12:19 AM
i've watched almost every ufc fight and as much as i hate the guy, silva is head and shoulders above EVERYBODY. gsp i don't think would last a round. silva has embarassed every fighter he has faced in the last 10 or 15 fights (other than sonnen that is)
his is so good its scary his power is awesome and striking is unvelievable form different angles. he's almost impossible to hit and to take him down you are going to get hurt, when he is on the ground he ties you up pretty good and he can submit you. he doesn't have a weakness in his game that i can see anyway because all his fights are so one sided. the only guys that can beat him i think are guys like sonnen ground and pound guys that can take a beating and not get too hurt because silva will catch you with some kind of crazy punch or kick and you'd better have a great chin.

gus steeler
07-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Even if Silva dropped to 170 2nd KO for Anderson...GSP will get hurt..

I agree, and GSP has a weak chin, I'd like to see a Silva vs. Jon Jones fight.

TLG
07-10-2012, 04:20 PM
I agree, and GSP has a weak chin, I'd like to see a Silva vs. Jon Jones fight.

two different weight classes ..
plus when you have 2 fighters at this caliber ,, the fight is usually boaring
at this level fighters have too much respect for each other and the fight is
usually too cautious . ..

same thing when GSP is added

TLG
07-10-2012, 07:38 PM
c/p

Before UFC president Dana White even strapped the middleweight championship belt around Anderson Silva's waist, my Twitter timeline was filled with questions on when Silva would face light heavyweight champ Jon Jones.

White said, "Let's see what happens," in response to a question about the two champs fighting. With Silva walking around at around 215 lbs., size is not a problem. But it's still not a fight that should happen for these reasons.

1. It's a no-win situation for Jon Jones. If he wins, he was expected to win and defend his weight class. If he loses, does anyone give him a pass?

2. Silva doesn't need it to prove he's the greatest. He has moved up to light heavyweight twice before. Both times, he won in the first round. As detailed here, Silva has dominated since joining the UFC in 2006.

[Kevin Iole: Anderson Silva makes Chael Sonnen pay for his mistake]

3. It ties up both the middleweight and light heavyweight belts. Between injuries and time to prepare for fights and placing championship fights on the perfect cards, championship bouts don't happen enough. This fight would tie up two different belts as Silva and Jones prepared for their fight. Do you remember how long we had to wait around for Sonnen/Silva and Jones' bout with Rashad Evans?

4. Neither of them want the fight. When champs want to move across weight classes, they should at least want the fight to happen. Jones, who is preparing for his Sept. 1 fight against Dan Henderson, tweeted his lack of interest in a bout with Silva.

"Man my man ‪#AndersonSilva‬ went to work tonight, consistently amazing," Jones said. "I guess Anderson said he had no interest in fighting me at tonight's press conference, I feel the same way about him. Nothing but respect."

It has nothing to do with either man not wanting the challenge or "being afraid," as I'm sure will get mentioned in the comment section. It has to do with their focus on their own weight classes, and participating in fights that make sense for them.