PDA

View Full Version : Sat dish set up indoors.

josephk
07-11-2012, 10:19 PM
I live in a strata complex that does not allow sat dishes. I have had the dish set up inside behind plastic wafer sheeting for over a year and it works just fine. However, I would like to improve signal quality just because (scattering in rain on some transponers). I have an older Dish 500 dual LNB (Legacy) and SV premier 360. Signal quality is currently around 60-65 on most transponders on sat 119, 56 on others; 75 + on most 110 transponders using the SV meter. Would new LNBs or a completely new dish setup provide a cleaner signal?

Sat crazy
07-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Have you tried signal booster may be work

bkr™
07-12-2012, 12:45 AM
If you have 2 sats then you have a twin if it is a single piece of hardware, otherwise you have 2 duals if lnbs are 2 individual pieces.
You will probably get more signal quality if you upgrade to a dpp twin lnb. They seem to work much better than the older style legacy lnbs.

Terryl
07-12-2012, 12:50 AM
The signal boosters for the satellite systems are a piece of junk, not worth the powder to blow one up.

A better LNB(s) (one with a lower noise floor) or a larger dish is the only way to raise the signal from the satellites.

And on the wafer sheeting, do you know is totally RF transparent?

One way to test this is to remove the sheeting and see if your signal (the "Q") jumps up, if it does the you need to use some clear plexiglass.

Also the use of some good high quality RG-6 quad coax, some with a pure copper center conductor can make a big difference.

josephk
07-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Hey Terrl, thanks for the advice. Are you saying clear plexi is the best way to go? Does thickness matter? Can it be painted white? And 1 more, recommend an LNB dish combo for SD

Thanks