PDA

View Full Version : Question on system set-up and component failures.. Ideas???

glen1971
08-01-2012, 02:10 AM
So here is what my dilema is and I'm looking for some input...
- have a Limesat Ultra upstairs, and a Nano II downstairs
- aimed at 91, 110 and 119 using a torodial T-90 dish
- using SW44 for the 110 and 119, a SW34 for 91 and SW21s for each receiver
- lost my Bell awhile ago.. Did some troubleshooting and found a bad LNB and a bad SW34...
- Replaced and all worked well up until a week ago.. Now I found the SW44 has died.. I lose 1/2 of 119 on each receiver if the other one is turned on.. Have one on order..
- Now I am losing Bell again.. I think the LNB is shot again, since I have only Horizontal on one output and only vertical on the other..

What might be causing some of the failures? Am I missing something, or is it just bad luck and nature of the hobby??
Thanx in advance..

bettie
08-01-2012, 02:17 AM
So here is what my dilema is and I'm looking for some input...
- have a Limesat Ultra upstairs, and a Nano II downstairs
- aimed at 91, 110 and 119 using a torodial T-90 dish
- using SW44 for the 110 and 119, a SW34 for 91 and SW21s for each receiver
- lost my Bell awhile ago.. Did some troubleshooting and found a bad LNB and a bad SW34...
- Replaced and all worked well up until a week ago.. Now I found the SW44 has died.. I lose 1/2 of 119 on each receiver if the other one is turned on.. Have one on order..
- Now I am losing Bell again.. I think the LNB is shot again, since I have only Horizontal on one output and only vertical on the other..

What might be causing some of the failures? Am I missing something, or is it just bad luck and nature of the hobby??
Thanx in advance..
Just checking.....are you modifying your own standard dish lnb's or ordering reverse polarity ones for your T 90?

glen1971
08-01-2012, 03:08 AM
I have replaced with the reverse polarity ones....

glen1971
08-04-2012, 04:04 PM
No ideas on a cause?

LuckyLarry
08-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Common denominator is the cabling...check it carefully

glen1971
08-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Common denominator is the cabling...check it carefully

What is the best practice, without buying a coax meter to test the cabling? I have put a meter on it, with everything disconnected and checked between the wire and the connector, and have no continuity on any of them.. Wonderin if a short in a switch might have caused some of the issues?? The switches are mounted outside, underneath my deck...

bettie
08-06-2012, 02:16 AM
I suggest taking each receiver out of the setup and with a piece of rg6....test the current and voltage being output from the receiver as you change tp's and sats....over a reasonable period of time.

I have dealt with a Limesat that enjoyed killing switches.

If all other aspects are sound.....it is one of the receivers....too many failures to be coincidental.

glen1971
08-06-2012, 02:36 AM
I suggest taking each receiver out of the setup and with a piece of rg6....test the current and voltage being output from the receiver as you change tp's and sats....over a reasonable period of time.

I have dealt with a Limesat that enjoyed killing switches.

If all other aspects are sound.....it is one of the receivers....too many failures to be coincidental.

I can try that if it keeps acting up.. I know a couple months ago, after I moved my dish, I had to check my voltages and they seemed right around 13/18 volts.. Yesterday, I isolated each LNB and removed the switches from the system... Did 2 factory defaults and rescanned each output on each LNB, factory defaulting after each scan..I switched it out and recorded all of my channel quantities.. I found one bad LNB.. I removed the Nano, and have been using the Limesat, figuring that the problems seemed to start after I powered up my Nano when the Olympics' Opening Ceremonies were going on.. When I did that, I seemed to only be able to get half the channels on 119 on both receivers.. If I shut it off, my Limesat got all its channels back... If I shut off the Limesat the Nano seemed ok.. So far, with the Nano off and only the Limesat going, it seems to be going ok so far....
I have used the same set-up with switches, cables, etc and when I unhooked to move the dish, I labelled each one so that I could reconnect them the right way.. Seemed to work ok before..