PDA

View Full Version : Hacktivate and Jailbreak my I-phone

zhong
08-24-2012, 05:35 PM
I recently bought a 2nd hand I-phone 3GS.

I wish to use it without a sim card, since I am not going to use it as a phone, but can download Talkatone and use it as a phone to call thoughout Canada and U.S free when there is wi-fi.
I used Talkatone on Android devices before but don't seem to work too well because of echo hardware problem.
I think I-phone will work better.

I see that there are many methods to Hacktivate and Jailbreak it on youtube, but they all use IOS 5.1.1.

So what should I do before I do anything ? Upgrade to 5.1.1 first before I do anything ?

Should I upgrade via the I-phone itself or use I-tunes to upgrade ?

If anything goes wrong can I downgrade it back to 5.1 IOS ?

I have I-cloud account which is working.

Please advise me what to do ?

Here are details of my I-phone.

Device Model MC637CA - Iphone 3GS

Installed Firmware Version 5.1

Installed Baseband Version 05.16.05-6.4_M3S2

ECID (Dec): 2107370652660 ECID (HEx) : 1EAA91443F4

IMEI 012659002992575

Thanks

fonger
08-24-2012, 05:40 PM
i updated via wireless on the pad to 5.1.1, and then i used itunes to backup the phone. then jailbreak. no problemo.
not sure about the 3G

zhong
08-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Can I backup the 5.1 IOS on to my computer using I-tunes for backup ?

If so, where do I click ?

Thanks.

i updated via wireless on the pad to 5.1.1, and then i used itunes to backup the phone. then jailbreak. no problemo.
not sure about the 3G

fonger
08-24-2012, 06:03 PM
connect to itunes, go to your device, and you can back it up...

zhong
08-26-2012, 04:09 PM
I wasn't able to backup 5.1 IOS using I-tunes because it said it needed sim card
for it to work and I didn't have working SIM card to work with.

Can I still restore with 5.1 like it a new install
without the jailbreak/Cydia files because I Jailbreaked it using Red Snow successfully already.
If so how do I go about doing that ?

So after I jail breaked it when I backup my I-phone
using I-tunes. Are the Jailbreak files and settings
and Cydia program all updated too on p.c.. ?

So what should I do in case I wish to unjailbreak it ?

Before I Jailbroke it using 5.1 IOS, I backed up on I-cloud. And it said I have about 2.X megs stored on I-cloud.
So what type of files are backed up ? Just the data and apps. to operate in I-phone ?

Thanks.

connect to itunes, go to your device, and you can back it up...

fonger
08-27-2012, 02:17 PM
sorry to hear that it needed a sim card..
updating to 5.1.1 you will lose cydia.. well in my case, i updated from 4.0 to 5.1.1 and i lost everything including the apps.
if you update to 5.1.1, i believe you will lose the app but when you reinstall the apps, the levels and scores are still there.

if you itunes it after, the jailbreak apps will not be there. you may have to re-download it.

so to cut it short, from my experience, once i updated to 5.1.1 on my ipad2, everything was reverted back to new.
i thought i had it all backed up and when i ituned it via pc and did the restore, nothing happened.. i had to re-install cydia, and some of the games.. when i played a game, all my previous scores were still intact.

cheers and good luck

zhong
08-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Can you still downgrade an IOS on your I-phone after it is ujpgraded ?
HOw do you unjail break it if you wanted to ?
If you wanted to use sim card later after you jail break it, do you need to do anything to make it work ?

I downloaded an *.ipa file. How can I install it on my I-phone ?

Thanks.

sorry to hear that it needed a sim card..
updating to 5.1.1 you will lose cydia.. well in my case, i updated from 4.0 to 5.1.1 and i lost everything including the apps.
if you update to 5.1.1, i believe you will lose the app but when you reinstall the apps, the levels and scores are still there.

if you itunes it after, the jailbreak apps will not be there. you may have to re-download it.

so to cut it short, from my experience, once i updated to 5.1.1 on my ipad2, everything was reverted back to new.
i thought i had it all backed up and when i ituned it via pc and did the restore, nothing happened.. i had to re-install cydia, and some of the games.. when i played a game, all my previous scores were still intact.

cheers and good luck

fonger
08-27-2012, 04:02 PM
you can downgrade your OS by doing the recovery via itunes, there is a secret way but you have to download the older OS first and have it on your PC so when you "upgrade" your phone, there is a secret thingy you do that itunes will open a browser and you select the older OS file.

unjailbreak, just uninstall cydia.

if you download an ipa file and it's in your PC, with the new jailbreak with OS 5.1.1, you can simply install it via app sync.. i think.. i haven't tried it myself but everyone says you can.

:)

zhong
08-28-2012, 01:14 PM
After you install app. sync how do you install an ipa file you have in your flash drive or hard drive ?
How do you sysnc and install ipa apps ?

Thanks.

Do you find that after Jailbreak the i-phone loads more slower. Like the apple icon appears longer before the slider bar appears ?

Thanks

you can downgrade your OS by doing the recovery via itunes, there is a secret way but you have to download the older OS first and have it on your PC so when you "upgrade" your phone, there is a secret thingy you do that itunes will open a browser and you select the older OS file.

unjailbreak, just uninstall cydia.

if you download an ipa file and it's in your PC, with the new jailbreak with OS 5.1.1, you can simply install it via app sync.. i think.. i haven't tried it myself but everyone says you can.

:)

fonger
08-28-2012, 01:17 PM
i haven't tried the app sync or anything.. sorry. <br />
<br />
the apple logo does get a littile slow because it's running all the other stuff in the background. i haven't turned off my ipad for a long time...

1boxman
08-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Just to jump in here..you can buy a new sim card for 10 bucks . One sim card to phone number .

zhong
08-29-2012, 03:39 PM
I downloaded and am using Battery Doctor. <br />
Is it better to do a full charge cycle rather then charge intermittently when you are not using it after using it ? <br />
Which make it last longer ? I have a...

fonger
08-30-2012, 12:34 PM
the battery doctor is just to perserve the life of your battery. once a month, drop it down to 20% and charge overnight with battery doctor. that's it. it'll do it all by itself for you. you can...

daryl1964
08-31-2012, 12:18 AM
To unlock phone to accept sim card you will also need install ultrasn0w, should be in cydia in the manage-sources tab if not you will have to edit then add the repository.........