PDA

View Full Version : strange phenomenon

quasimodem
08-28-2012, 11:11 PM
With broadband now installed in my home, I was finally able to add a second receiver to the upstairs. In the downstairs, I have a Nanosat Premium...I added my cnx to ilink conversion to the upstairs. At first, everything seemed to be working fine. Then, whenever I would change from a channel on the Nanosat, from 119 to 110 the cnx to ilink would get the "no signal" message. I wasn't sure what was causing the problem. I changed the diseqc switch to the cnx but it didn't solve the problem. At this point I started to think the lnb had a problem. The dish 500 (which has four ports, two for 110 and two for 119) is mounted on my roof, 38 ft. from the ground. The idea of having to climb a 40ft. ladder to change the lnb didn't thrill me. I also have a 40" dish with an Invacom quad lnb for true free to air. The good news is that all of the switches are easily accessed from an upstairs window.
here's my solution:
I aimed the 40" dish at 119 and connected two leads from the big dish and two leads from the 20" dish to each diseqc switch. I reset the ports in the settings of both receivers so that the 110 signal comes from the small dish and the 119 signal from the big dish. Now everything is working well in tvland...
I think the Nanosat may be a stronger receiver and may have been throwing the switch on the cnx to ilink conversion. I'm not sure, but as long as it's working the reason it wasn't doesn't matter.
If anyone has a different explanation, I'm all ears.

satchick
08-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Are your dishes and switches grounded? An ungrounded installation can develop all kinds of strange issues, especially with multiple receivers. The first step to troubleshooting this installation would be to ground it properly.

To ground your system, you'll need to connect all of the various components (dishes, switches, coax ground blocks) with a length of #12 wire, and then connect this wire to a suitable ground point.

baseman
08-28-2012, 11:35 PM
With broadband now installed in my home, I was finally able to add a second receiver to the upstairs. In the downstairs, I have a Nanosat Premium...I added my cnx to ilink conversion to the upstairs. At first, everything seemed to be working fine. Then, whenever I would change from a channel on the Nanosat, from 119 to 110 the cnx to ilink would get the "no signal" message. I wasn't sure what was causing the problem. I changed the diseqc switch to the cnx but it didn't solve the problem. At this point I started to think the lnb had a problem. The dish 500 (which has four ports, two for 110 and two for 119) is mounted on my roof, 38 ft. from the ground. The idea of having to climb a 40ft. ladder to change the lnb didn't thrill me. I also have a 40" dish with an Invacom quad lnb for true free to air. The good news is that all of the switches are easily accessed from an upstairs window.
here's my solution:
I aimed the 40" dish at 119 and connected two leads from the big dish and two leads from the 20" dish to each diseqc switch. I reset the ports in the settings of both receivers so that the 110 signal comes from the small dish and the 119 signal from the big dish. Now everything is working well in tvland...
I think the Nanosat may be a stronger receiver and may have been throwing the switch on the cnx to ilink conversion. I'm not sure, but as long as it's working the reason it wasn't doesn't matter.
If anyone has a different explanation, I'm all ears.

Good job quasimodem :thumbsup:
I had the same probs with Nfusion's and Limesat's and had to put in a Zinwell 4X8 powered switch so I could isolate the two boxes with the 22khz and voltages.The NF was shutting the Limesat down as it was more serious in voltage....thank you Blankstare wherever you are! :)

satchick
08-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Attached is a diagram of how to ground your system, it's best to keep the wire continuous if possible.

quasimodem
08-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Attached is a diagram of how to ground your system, it's best to keep the wire continuous if possible.

thanks satchick,
I do have my system well grounded, similar to your diagram. I set it up this way when I first installed the dishes even before I hooked up the receivers. A lightening strike took out a neighbors entire stereo system about 15 years back (his D!shnet receiver was in the loop), ever since then I've taken grounding very seriously. There must be a different issue here. Perhaps the lnb is actually going south.

~Q

ignored ant
08-29-2012, 01:58 AM
I had a similar issue a yr ago,

I ended up getting rid of my disceq switches completely and now use a DP34 switch w / DP44 power inseter on port 1 receiver out on switch.

This resolved All my "no signal" issue when rebooting 1 of the receivers or channel changing.

Just my 2 cents,Hope it helps.