01-19-2010, 01:51 AM
I see this in the Spanish section but not english:

freedbs.org/

Worth a quick look anyway...

looks interesting doesn't it? ;)

sneerboy
01-19-2010, 02:40 AM
looks interesting doesn't it? ;)

If I was a wealthy man I'd have my own channel, just for a laugh.
:D

Things are looking up for free ku, nevertheless.

I see two higher powered stations and one new one this week alone.
(Retro Tv on 83 and River on 97).

WillDekkard
01-19-2010, 04:43 AM
The future looks so bright, I gotta wear shades ! lol

The project looks great and will breathe new life into FTA here in North America. The only stumbling blocks that I can see is money and the fact that not many NA FTA receivers have a card slot for the PPVs ?

TurboPirate
01-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Scroll down a little, there is a thank you for some sites and satfix.net is listed there. huray

http://freedbs.org/index.html

sneerboy
01-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Scroll down a little, there is a thank you for some sites and satfix.net is listed there. huray

http://freedbs.org/index.html

Yuh huh, I suspect Bolivia got there before I did.
:)

Costactc
01-19-2010, 04:56 PM
A very interesting site to keep an eye on for the future.

WillDekkard
02-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Finally the information we have all been waiting for - sorta?

News Release: 2/18/2010

The proposed orbital position for our satellite will be between 80 and 100 degrees west.

So it could be AMC9(83), AMC16(85), AMC3(87), Galaxy28(89), Galaxy17(91), Galaxy25(93.1), Galaxy3C(95), Galaxy19(97), or Galaxy16(99) ?

I am thinking that will not be Galaxy19(97) as that one is pretty full being used by Globecast.

If I could pick, it would nice to see these channels on AMC9(83) as it already has a good channel, RTV(east & west) which would compliment them. Galaxy25(93.1) might be a good choice as well as then one could use an elliptical(starchoice) dish to receive both 97.0 & 93.1. As long as the power is turned up on the TPs, It really does not matter what sat it ends up on ! :yes:

secheltpaul
02-20-2010, 04:56 PM
my guess is GALAXY 9 - 83 west.
this my be why the power got turned
up on this one.
i hope it's soon!

andyb2
02-27-2010, 01:13 PM
ABC,NBC,FOX and CBS superstations have been added to the channel lineup.Thats a good sign.

andyb2
03-03-2010, 03:30 AM
C/P from the site

News Release: 3/2/2010

We have been in contact with the Senior Editor of The Real News Network, (Paul Jay) he has expressed an interest in providing content for our news channel, and requested that we announce this.

Our negotiator for transponder access is still working on our lease contracts at this time. He is working to acquire three of the wider transponders on a satellite between 100 and 80 degrees. We have discussed a target date for operation but will not release this until contracts are complete.

pugsycan
03-03-2010, 04:06 AM
ABC,NBC,FOX and CBS superstations have been added to the channel lineup.Thats a good sign.

It says reserved for Guess they havnt got any to sign yet but does look promising

secheltpaul
03-06-2010, 08:26 PM
I see on a another site were there asking members to test 11 tp’s on g19 one of them new, and let them know what their getting for readings. I think maybe the people that guessed g19 are going to be right.

Night Prowler
03-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I see on a another site were there asking members to test 11 tp’s on g19 one of them new, and let them know what their getting for readings. I think maybe the people that guessed g19 are going to be right.

That would make it so much easier for those already pointed there for the internationals too.....

pugsycan
03-08-2010, 05:26 PM

That would make it so much easier for those already pointed there for the internationals too.....

I dont want it on G19 lol I want it on AMC 9 So I dont have to put up another dish To many old growth trees for a motor

Night Prowler
03-08-2010, 05:29 PM
I dont want it on G19 lol I want it on AMC 9 So I dont have to put up another dish To many old growth trees for a motor

same problem for me.......:okay:......but the good news for me is.....no one living in the house behind me at the moment.......the trees are fair game......:tehe:

secheltpaul
03-08-2010, 05:37 PM
It my not be g19 . just a guess. it’s just that I saw this post and well you now why else would the want people to be testing it? this is what I read.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your G-19 Signal Report is Needed

Sponsored Links
We need your assistance to determine the Signal Strength and Quality of a new transponder started 3/2/2010 on Galaxy19, 97W. Before we begin to relocate current viewers from AMC4 to the new frequencies on Galaxy19, we need to report to the broadcasters on the transponder performance. TRansponder testing and adjustments can be made at this time if performance issues are reported. We will only need comparison Signal Quality readings for your location as each receiver will provide a different SQ reading.

If you are on the edges of the footprint in Northern Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, Southern Mexico and the Caribbean, we especially need to receive reports from your locations.

Please indicate the size of your dish and your location and report on the frequencies below:

11789 V 28125 - SQ:
11836 V 20765 - SQ:
11842 H 22000 (new) - SQ:
11867 V 22000 - SQ:
11874 H 22000 - SQ:
11936 H 20000 - SQ:
11966 H 22000 - SQ:
12053 V 22000 - SQ:
12060 H 22000 - SQ:
12115 V 22425 - SQ:
12177 V 23000 - SQ:

Thank you for your test results and taking the time to provide valuable assistance for qualifying this new transponder!

secheltpaul
03-08-2010, 05:39 PM
After reading it again it my just be for the stuff there moving from AMC4

Night Prowler
03-08-2010, 05:43 PM
After reading it again it my just be for the stuff there moving from AMC4

could be.....there are only a few open channels on amc4 and moving them to 97w will compliment the channels already there.....plus having the new dbsfree channels will make it a must have sat....:D

Costactc
03-08-2010, 05:48 PM
For true fta, I have to say that Galaxy 19 is a definite must have sat NP and a bonus if you add the Amc4 lineup as well. It's already a loaded sat, thought they would have chosen another like at 83,85,87,91,93,95,99........... much less traffic on these ones.

Night Prowler
03-08-2010, 05:50 PM
For true fta, I have to say that Galaxy 19 is a definite must have sat NP and a bonus if you add the Amc4 lineup as well. It's already a loaded sat, thought they would have chosen another like at 83,85,87,91,93,95,99........... much less traffic on these ones.

they might be trying to get just one fixed dish set up......to make it easier for us rookies......:tehe:

Dish Doctor
03-14-2010, 01:46 PM

same problem for me.......:okay:......but the good news for me is.....no one living in the house behind me at the moment.......the trees are fair game......:tehe:

You two need to invest in one of these.....

http://www.nativeforest.org/images/chainsaw.jpg

.....not the girl either......and one of these.....

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/STAB/HH90-stab-motor.jpg

One thing I noticed on their home site, is a lot of discussion about MPEG 4. Better make sure you have you HD receivers dusted off.

Costactc
03-14-2010, 01:59 PM
You two need to invest in one of these.....

http://www.nativeforest.org/images/chainsaw.jpg

.....not the girl either......and one of these.....

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/STAB/HH90-stab-motor.jpg

One thing I noticed on their home site, is a lot of discussion about MPEG 4. Better make sure you have you HD receivers dusted off.

I'll make the investment DD, but the girl has to be included or no deal.

catthepatch
03-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Got one, need one!! Just the same, will make trouble!!!

Bowhunters
03-15-2010, 08:33 PM
That pic of the girl reminded me of the movie 'Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers' LOL

mdmm
07-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Latest News. Followup.
Before releasing,channels,they are releasing new fta box ????

News Release: 7/11/2010
If you are planning to buy a new FTA receiver, We would recommend that you wait 1-2 weeks for our news release before you make a decision. All new mpeg-4 receivers may not work with our "EPG" electronic program guide

Costactc
07-12-2010, 04:26 PM
So now they're selling stb? What part of the freedbs meant having to buy a receiver which will be compatible with their format. Personally, I have enough stb lying around that I need to blow the dust off before I invest in another receiver.

mdmm
07-12-2010, 06:53 PM
very nice comments.need more inputs

Ramo
07-12-2010, 06:59 PM
So now they're selling stb? What part of the freedbs meant having to buy a receiver which will be compatible with their format. Personally, I have enough stb lying around that I need to blow the dust off before I invest in another receiver.

I'm with you Bro; this Freedbs seem dubious,hope i'm wrong!

when they post this bellow! We have removed the networks. [When these channels are no longer available over the air}, we will look at this issue again)

what Kinda crap is this?When these channels are no longer available over the air}, we will look at this issue again

FARJOHN
07-13-2010, 08:33 PM
I understand from their news release that thay are advising that the new receivers may not work with their EPG .Plainly thay say to wait to buy a new receiver ,not trying to sell you one.

Costactc
07-13-2010, 08:39 PM
No need to take it personal, you almost sound like a spokesperson for this group. All I know is that I and many other members have many stb lying around not being used and the last thing I need is another one- regardless of who is selling it.

Ramo
07-13-2010, 09:11 PM
my opinion is; Freedbs have to adapt to the existing receivers ,no us to get other receiver unless they get some really worthwhile programing,
not what they advertise so far.

FARJOHN
07-13-2010, 09:38 PM
As you are aware costactc I Was active in the FREEDBS thread at FTATALK and I feel that the statements are misleading and not the information as FREEDBS have released .There is a list of receivers that they said will work ,they claim the new receivers may not work .What could be more plainer thin that?

Costactc
07-13-2010, 09:46 PM
No problem bud, I took part in that thread a while back and was not up to date. What stb have they said would be compatible?

easily confused
07-13-2010, 10:24 PM
No problem bud, I took part in that thread a while back and was not up to date. What stb have they said would be compatible?

As per their site, Costa, this is what they have posted

"With factory software the following receivers should work.
Ariza, AZBox, Captive Works, Conaxsat, Coolsat, Drake, Dreambox, Fortec, GEOSat Pro, Icon, I-Link, K-Box, Neosat, NFusion, Pansat or clone, Silverbullet, Sonicview, Sonysat, Traxis, Viewsat, XTC or any FCC approved FTA receiver."

Costactc
07-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Then I'm good to go EC, I have 10 stb with those names.

FARJOHN
07-14-2010, 12:12 AM
I watch 97 W almost three times a day ,As it is a good performing sat I hope it is the one thay pick .

easily confused
07-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Then I'm good to go EC, I have 10 stb with those names.

That sure makes my pretty skimpy:tehe:

jazzman
07-14-2010, 12:54 AM
As per their site, Costa, this is what they have posted

"With factory software the following receivers should work.
Ariza, AZBox, Captive Works, Conaxsat, Coolsat, Drake, Dreambox, Fortec, GEOSat Pro, Icon, I-Link, K-Box, Neosat, NFusion, Pansat or clone, Silverbullet, Sonicview, Sonysat, Traxis, Viewsat, XTC or any FCC approved FTA receiver."

But does it have to be Mpeg 4 compatable? If so I'm screwed as I don't own any HD boxes.

FARJOHN
07-14-2010, 01:15 AM
bluesman none of the receivers listed are MPEG 4 ,just FTA receivers ,Not HD .Your OK if you have any on the list.

easily confused
07-14-2010, 02:20 AM
bluesman none of the receivers listed are MPEG 4 ,just FTA receivers ,Not HD .Your OK if you have any on the list.

Just wondering, FARJOHN, why they specified HD receivers in their news release of 7/11. Is this for future programming, could this be for the PPV or is this because there may be something to do with MPEG4 receivers that would not allow them to work with their EPG?

all-world1
07-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Hopefully it's G19 because I should have a line of sight at the lake.

mdmm
07-14-2010, 10:44 AM
seems like freedbs channels are close to their birth??
Releasing and selling their receivers to watch their channels after 2 weeks,mean it.
I am in Toronto.Will like to know about any device to watch MPEG4 + HD channels with viewsat 2k extrem, coolsat 5k and sonicview 4k ? or Which is cheaper HD+MPEG4 receiver in Toronto.please pm me

woolhat
07-14-2010, 12:19 PM

It should be noted that the list only mentions brands of FTA boxes and not specific models.
It should also be noted that at least 9 of those brands do make mpeg 4 HD boxes.Guess we'll have to wait and see.:innocent:

FARJOHN
07-14-2010, 12:34 PM

If you are planning to buy a new FTA receiver, We would recommend that you wait 1-2 weeks for our news release before you make a decision. All new mpeg-4 receivers may not work with our "EPG" electronic program guide.

I would get from this that some MPEG 4 receivers may work with the 'EPG" AND The ones that will ,will be listed. I have seen no indecation that thay plan to sell any SAt Equipment at all .

mydish
07-14-2010, 03:03 PM

If you are planning to buy a new FTA receiver, We would recommend that you wait 1-2 weeks for our news release before you make a decision. All new mpeg-4 receivers may not work with our "EPG" electronic program guide.

I would get from this that some MPEG 4 receivers may work with the 'EPG" AND The ones that will ,will be listed. I have seen no indecation that thay plan to sell any SAt Equipment at all .

This from their site:
With factory software the following receivers should work.
Ariza, AZBox, Captive Works, Conaxsat, Coolsat, Drake, Dreambox, Fortec, GEOSat Pro, Icon, I-Link, K-Box, Neosat, NFusion, Pansat or clone, Silverbullet, Sonicview, Sonysat, Traxis, Viewsat, XTC or any FCC approved FTA receiver.

mdmm
07-14-2010, 04:19 PM
what does this mean
""Wait for 1-2 weeks""

Costactc
07-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Good to know bud. I have 3 motorised dishes so It's no concern to me which orbital position they choose.

FARJOHN
07-14-2010, 04:56 PM
what does this mean
""Wait for 1-2 weeks""

They will release a statement as to what MPEG 4 receivers will work on their "EPG" and what will not . So you don't get a new MPEG 4 that will not WORK!!!!!!

FARJOHN
07-14-2010, 05:06 PM
what does this mean
""Wait for 1-2 weeks""

Just wondering, FARJOHN, why they specified HD receivers in their news release of 7/11. Is this for future programming, could this be for the PPV or is this because there may be something to do with MPEG4 receivers that would not allow them to work with their EPG?

IF I recall one of the releases stated that to use the cards for PPV you would need a MPEG 4 receiver.

easily confused
07-14-2010, 05:46 PM
IF I recall one of the releases stated that to use the cards for PPV you would need a MPEG 4 receiver.

Thanks. that's kind of depressing because I have a CS8000 but I don't see anywhere to put in a card so I guess it will not work for their PPV. Ah well, I have more tv than I can watch now.

FARJOHN
07-14-2010, 07:12 PM
They stated :

Our Technical team has been working with a receiver manufacture to make available to the user an MPEG-4 receiver with card slot to allow purchasing additional channels as an ala-cart service. Freedbs plans to own twelve of the free-to-air channels that will be broadcast under this service.

This is not ruling out the 32 channels that are listed plus what they add on . You just wont get the PPV vie card That you buy from a dealer or provider .Thay don't explain how this will work yet

Jeanvaljean800
07-15-2010, 12:29 AM
I wonder if the receiver is the only thing they will be announcing in one or two weeks... Maybe they'll announce when they plan to start broadcasting...

I hope so!

Jeanvaljean800

FARJOHN
07-15-2010, 01:25 AM
I am sure hoping they will get that release out soon. THANKS Jeanvaljean800 for the boost ,hope your right !!!!!

Night Prowler
07-15-2010, 01:32 AM
as with anything.....make sure the programming is there first before buying any new reciever....:thumbsup:

all-world1
07-15-2010, 03:26 AM
as with anything.....make sure the programming is there first before buying any new reciever....:thumbsup:

Over the years, I've learned that the hard way NP.:noidea:

Just a little confused on this. Not sure if I've read this right, but do you think that the HD channels will be an addition to the the regular channels or might the whole works be HD? It would be nice to get some decent english programming with my old CS5k or VS Ultra.

roofa-d
07-15-2010, 04:30 AM
what does this mean
""Wait for 1-2 weeks""

hey mdmm

ya looks like that old n3 crack in 2 weeks thing

Night Prowler
07-15-2010, 04:37 AM
Over the years, I've learned that the hard way NP.:noidea:

Just a little confused on this. Not sure if I've read this right, but do you think that the HD channels will be an addition to the the regular channels or might the whole works be HD? It would be nice to get some decent english programming with my old CS5k or VS Ultra.

The way I see it......the channels they have posted as of now will be SD......but once they start getting the al a carte channels....those will be HD......

easily confused......as far as the CS8000......it does have a card slot......lower panel with pull down.......just need to install a card reader though.....:thumbsup:

mdmm
07-15-2010, 10:52 AM
ku band fta channels on 97w does not have epg but only encrypted ku 97w have epg.
This mean,freedbs,plan to land on 97w for both fta and encrypted channels.
Like other networks on 97w,some of freedbs might be fta and some encrypted,which will need their proposed Mpeg4+HD receivers.i have a few fta receivers.will wait for their statement and nature of channels??

easily confused
07-15-2010, 12:35 PM
The way I see it......the channels they have posted as of now will be SD......but once they start getting the al a carte channels....those will be HD......

easily confused......as far as the CS8000......it does have a card slot......lower panel with pull down.......just need to install a card reader though.....:thumbsup:

Thanks NP. I've had this thing 4 months and had not seen that, hence the "easily confused"

FARJOHN
07-15-2010, 04:25 PM
hey mdmm

ya looks like that old n3 crack in 2 weeks thing

Trust ROOFA -D to try and damppen the fire . THEY never promesed any thing . Thay said thay would release information on what MPEG4 recevers will and will not work on their "EPG" As I dont plan to go MPEG 4 It would NOT matter what MPEG-4 Will work as long as SD works.

FARJOHN
07-16-2010, 12:30 AM

by the way you dont have to wait two weeks for the release you are free to buy a MPEG -4 today,only thay hope to advise you as to what will work and what will not!!!!!

roofa-d
07-16-2010, 03:40 AM
Trust ROOFA -D to try and damppen the fire . THEY never promesed any thing . Thay said thay would release information on what MPEG4 recevers will and will not work on their "EPG" As I dont plan to go MPEG 4 It would NOT matter what MPEG-4 Will work as long as SD works.

easy now......

its only a knee- jerk reaction from the phrase "IN 2 WEEKS"

I am very hopeful to see what good comes in the future :yes:

mdmm
07-16-2010, 11:43 PM
From following news it is clear that eventually, we will need only MPEG4 receivers to watch their channels.MPEG2 will not show their channels few days after starting.

News Release: 7/16/2010
EPG compatibility. Freedbs. LLC Program Guide should work with most mpeg-2 compatible FTA receivers with the stations that we are planning to go up with at first. When we switch over to mpeg-4 only, we will also be enacting a proprietary Guide that will only work with a authorized HD mpeg-4 receiver. Other mpeg-4 receivers should still receive our channels but not the guide.

trommy
07-24-2010, 01:00 AM
From following news it is clear that eventually, we will need only MPEG4 receivers to watch their channels.MPEG2 will not show their channels few days after starting.

News Release: 7/16/2010
EPG compatibility. Freedbs. LLC Program Guide should work with most mpeg-2 compatible FTA receivers with the stations that we are planning to go up with at first. When we switch over to mpeg-4 only, we will also be enacting a proprietary Guide that will only work with a authorized HD mpeg-4 receiver. Other mpeg-4 receivers should still receive our channels but not the guide.

They clearly stated that they will be broadcasting in SD for at least the first year.Most of the 20 million FTA units 'out there' are SD,thus that is their intended audience_it has to be to get the advitisers which translates to money to pay for everything.They will switch to MPEG4 once they can afford to,after they get on their feet.

mdmm
08-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Here are some documents for your comments about freedbs.

trommy
08-09-2010, 11:23 AM
My computer is "unable to open...".Anyone else have this problem with the above file?

easily confused
08-09-2010, 11:32 AM
My computer is "unable to open...".Anyone else have this problem with the above file?

Opened fine here, using MS Word

trommy
08-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks EC.I keep getting the message "unable to load graphic conversion..."Is there a program I need??Thanks

easily confused
08-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks EC.I keep getting the message "unable to load graphic conversion..."Is there a program I need??Thanks

Got me there Trommy. I just click on the link and Firefox asks me if I want to open it or save it. When I click "open it" MS Office Word is my default proram and it opens right away

trommy
08-09-2010, 01:31 PM
In the PC lab,IQ informed me I don't have enough ram (504mb).Thanks again.

secheltpaul
08-09-2010, 02:21 PM
working for me with ms word try re-boot

natray203
08-12-2010, 07:56 PM

how would this affect bev and dn and would these files work on this ?

natray203

Costactc
08-12-2010, 08:01 PM
It would have nothing to do with dn and bev, these channels are true fta.

mdmm
08-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Their website does not say but all indications shows it would be on G-19

mr flint
08-13-2010, 04:17 PM
any time frame when this one goes online

Costactc
08-13-2010, 07:34 PM
I haven't gone on their site for a while, it's been in discussion about 10 months now.

easily confused
08-13-2010, 11:14 PM
I haven't gone on their site for a while, it's been in discussion about 10 months now.

I've been checking regularly because on July 11th they posted holding off on buying new HD receivers as they would post what receivers would work with their EPG but it's now been over a month. Better to post nothing than give a time frame and fail to meet it

mr flint
08-13-2010, 11:23 PM
I've been checking regularly because on July 11th they posted holding off on buying new HD receivers as they would post what receivers would work with their EPG but it's now been over a month. Better to post nothing than give a time frame and fail to meet it

the end quote is so true in this buisness you will be slammed my 20,000 people

trommy
08-20-2010, 02:01 PM
You should check again.They did post it.

easily confused
08-20-2010, 03:51 PM
You should check again.They did post it.

Thanks Trommy. I just went to their site and the last update I see was July 16 that said:

"News Release: 7/16/2010

EPG compatibility. Freedbs. LLC Program Guide should work with most mpeg-2 compatible FTA receivers with the stations that we are planning to go up with at first. When we switch over to mpeg-4 only, we will also be enacting a proprietary Guide that will only work with a authorized HD mpeg-4 receiver. Other mpeg-4 receivers should still receive our channels but not the guide."

What I was referring to is, what is/are the "authorized HD mpeg-4 receiver". I am in the market for a new HD receiver and they said they would announce what HD receivers would work with their EPG within one to two weeks. Just wondering if I have missed something on their site

mydish
08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks Trommy. I just went to their site and the last update I see was July 16 that said:

"News Release: 7/16/2010

EPG compatibility. Freedbs. LLC Program Guide should work with most mpeg-2 compatible FTA receivers with the stations that we are planning to go up with at first. When we switch over to mpeg-4 only, we will also be enacting a proprietary Guide that will only work with a authorized HD mpeg-4 receiver. Other mpeg-4 receivers should still receive our channels but not the guide."

What I was referring to is, what is/are the "authorized HD mpeg-4 receiver". I am in the market for a new HD receiver and they said they would announce what HD receivers would work with their EPG within one to two weeks. Just wondering if I have missed something on their site

I believe they have answered your question, at least in part.

andyb2
08-20-2010, 04:33 PM
They are probably still figuring that out them selves.

trommy
08-21-2010, 10:19 AM
They probably checked the specs of 'a whole bunch' of receivers and compared them to the specs they will be using to broadcast and realized they can't know all receivers so they made that blanket statement.
What people seem not to realize is that they are learning from scratch.They have to train staff,aquire equipment,get permits,negotiate contracts and whatever else that needs to be done.They have no obligation to anyone to update their progress and setbacks will occur.They want to start as soon as possible too.So everyone need to be patient.:thumbsup:

jrose
09-03-2010, 02:39 AM
Freedbs is heading the way of just plain ole' bs, not much going on on their homepage or snooping on the net. Wow and not even rumors floating around on other sites, either very secretive or dead in the water?

kingdomcome
09-03-2010, 03:55 AM
News Release: 9/02/2010

Freedbs will be having a meeting with a Florida Uplink Adviser later this month. We are also working on copyright issues. Without the help of the Public this would not be possible. We would like to thank the many people that are helping us including Matt with his help on Logos.

trommy
09-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Here is a C&P from Tony Dunnett in New Zealand.......
Quote:
The A to Z of launching a multichannel satellite service.

1: With out a solid cornerstone funder or access to finance or credit line any talk of launching a Digital DTH satellite service is merely wishful thinking.

So we take it that Free DBS has enough funding to seriously consider launching its DTH service.

2: The first item on the list is satellite capacity the questions are:

A: How much capacity is required
Answer: This is dependent on how many channels and whether the service will be Mpeg 2 or Mpeg 4 and SD or HD.

B: This also depends on the transponder bandwidth. Some higher power DBS satellites payloads are 27 MHz, Some BSS are 36 MHz or even 54MHz.

If the transponder capacity is 27MHz the maximum symbol rate would be 22,500 M/s if the FEC is ¾ then the usable data for encoding will be approximately 31 M/bits with an IRD threshold of approximately 5.2dB.

If 36MHz then the maximum symbol rate would be 30,000 M/s if the FEC is again ¾ the usable data for encoding would be approx 42 M/bits with an IRD threshold of 5.2dB.

If 54MHz the norm is to split the transponders into two 27MHz half transponders and our encoding calculation for 27MHz applies. However there is normally a 3 to 4 Db reduction in EIRP due to two services sharing the transponder.

Given the above its time to calculate a link budget for the down link coverage area. Normal service availability for Optus over New Zealand is calculated as being 99.99% which will reduce the service availability by eight hours per year. Pan Am Sat published similar figures.

The next issue is which satellite will provide the most comprehensive and advantageous coverage over the continental US “Conus”What Capacity is on offer and what is the price per MHz per month. Given the fact that Free DBS claim to be launching with twenty channels. They would require two 27 MHz transponders each providing 31-34 M/bits of usable data. If 27 MHz and Mpeg2 DVBS was used each individual channel would be under 3 M bits if ten channels were allocated apart from the video encoding each channel would require a minimum of 128 Kbits for stereo or 286Kbits for high quality stereo.

At 36 MHz full transponder could realize 42 M /bits allowing 3.5 M/bits per channel and either 128k or 286k for audio encoding. Any Pay channels would require more data deductions as each channel which is CA is required to contribute.

What size dishes would be required in any specific region, what are the rain fade margins for specific regions? How will this affect the service availability?

Where the uplink should be situated to gain the maximum uplink advantage.
What size should the uplink be?
Does one lease uplink time from an established uplink operator or look for a teleport or uplink which has reached its expiry date.

Does the uplink site have satellite access to the US domsats?
Does the uplink site have access to terrestrial services such as fiber or microwave?
Are the High Power Amplifiers TWTA’s .Expanding a DTH network using TWTAs is easy Carriers can be added without installing additional amplifiers as long as the system operates within the power and linearity requirements of the TWTA.

This method is more flexible than the traditional approach of adding a new KPA for each added carrier. And, it provides flexibility in the link for changes in power and linearity requirements per channel with up to 1250W at Ku-Band, 750W at DBS-Band.

In our case in New Zealand we were using a C band uplink and cross strapping to a Ku down link spot beam centered on New Zealand. Although our TWTA’s were 700 W we only required 200W of power to run a 36 MHz transponder.

OK so they have addressed satellite capacity and an uplink facility they can now broadcast color bars on however many channels they elect to fire up as demonstration that they are not full of S_ _T.

Now comes the interesting part,where is their play out center going to be. Ideally it should be as close to the uplink as possible. Distributing multiple channels across the country to a Florida uplink via microwave or fibre optic cable is adding expense which is not necessary if some thought is exercised in where the play out center is to be located.

A lot of teleports have play out facilities which they lease out on a daily, monthly or contract rate. YOU pay them to put your channel programming onto a server ready for play out. Again this is not a cheap exercise given the amount of in house channels promised.

In our case we had a mix of pass through and in house compiled channels. The pass through channels out numbered the in house channels. Even to compile one in house channel with programme rotation every 24 hours “same programme line” up in two 12 hour blocks was a night mare. Let alone twenty. Telecom NZ had two in house compiled channels and a staff of nearly thirty to run the operation.

When automating multichannel playout, many solutions are available. Broadcasters design, configure, implement and operate multichannel playout in as many different ways as manufacturers design, develop, sell and install multichannel playout systems.

Multichannel playout is normally a custom designed solution. The users could be a terrestrial station with two, three or more HD / SD channels. It can also be a satellite delivery-to-home system (DTH). Cable and IPTV systems are also known as multichannel operations in which many many channels originate from one facility.

Uplink facilities and master control service providers add yet another dimension to automated multichannel playout as previously highlighted. Many broadcasters are consolidating by combining their production, news, traffic, sales, programming and engineering operations in the same facility to save on costs
In our case the 15.5m uplink facility was which we named “Auckland Teleport “was 5km away from the production /play out / programme gathering and studio facility.

Carlaw Park housed the uplink while our Newton Road facilities housed 18 dishes, a three camera studio, and full master control center, post production, programme gathering ,compilation and play out .

Most of the channels originated from a multitude of satellites serving the Asia /Pacific Rim. These were play through channels which entered the facility and were provided a dedicated Satellite receiver before being routed to individual MPEG 2 encoders. Each bank of eight was routed into a MPEG2 multiplexer where all the encoder outputs were combined into one aggregated MPEG 2 transport stream.

We allocated eight channels at a time into a multiplexer which consisted of thirty two encoders each compressing a specified channel from a multitude of inputs to Asynchronous Serial Interface, or ASI, data format which carried an MPEG Transport Stream through out the entire system. The last multiplexer in the chain also carried the Scrambler which was connected by Ethernet to the CA server.

The Scrambler had dual ASI outputs which consisted of one FTA and one with full encryption. The encrypted ASI feed was routed to a Tandberg Re multiplexer which converted our multiplexed ASI input into ATM Asynchronous Transfer Mode cell-based signal which out put was single mode fiber with a total capacity of 155Mbits.

This fiber link travelled 5 km to Auckland’s Sky Tower where the 155 M bits ATM signals were separated and distributed to three Tandberg media converters which provided an ASI input to three Comstream QSPK modulators which provided a 70MHz signal which provided up conversion to the specific unconverted final 12GHz Frequency which was amplified via an NEC HPA and sent in the vertical polarization some 278 M above the down town streets of Auckland City.

All this was doable, and technically we could do almost anything on either the MMDS system which acted as a link to the satellite uplink which accessed the NZ ku spot beam.

We made full use of the facilities we had access too , time and time again we showed the big boys up.

This Free DBS group, seem to be in fantasy land. The very last item for me prior to transmitting a signal to NSS5 was to go through a very comprehensive “Line UP” procedure with New Skies. This started off in Singapore and we were handed over to New Skies MCR in the Netherlands where we were instructed to access the satellite and beam on. We were instructed to use reduced power and transmit just a carrier “Clean” then we were gradually allowed to increase our power to that of our operational usage 200w.

There are 10001 issues that need to be addressed before one starts worrying about Logo’s and copyright issues. These are issues that are addressed with in a days work. As for an uplink adviser. It would seem that this group is akin to a rudderless ship thrashing around in high seas.

I honestly do not think they have any idea of the scope of what they propose let alone how they are going to string it all together and make it work. As I previously stated we made a very respectable movie channel out of public domain movies and programmes such as Box Office America, Celebrity Bites and Holly wood minutes.

This type of venture can be undertaken by individuals who have the credibility to attract a corner stone funder who is willing to take the risk. However I do not see any credibility here what so ever.

Look at this web site
www.ziln.co.nz they have done what Free DBS are claiming they’ll do. Ziln has done it in the time Free DBS have been making claims of testing and talking to Uncle Charlie and Aunt Doris .

It does not matter that Ziln are a web based internet service; they have successfully launched a multichannel platform. The staff numbers are under 10 to provide a multichannel platform that provides a variety of interesting channels.

That’s my spin on the latest “press release” from Free DBS. “Guys stop dreaming and get real”.

roofa-d
09-15-2010, 03:48 AM

so FARJOHN .... where's your quick comment to this latest post?

jrose
09-15-2010, 04:43 AM
Burn me at the stake, but here is some food for thought. If information otherwise, c/p it.

c/p from another site

No business plan. No business model. No named source of financing. No carriage deal with a satellite company. No names behind it. No one in broadcasting behind it.

PPV cards? Working with the receivers they listed? Half of those receivers neither have naitive card support in the factory or pirate versions of the software. Let's pretend they did. Certain boxes will only support certain conditional access systems, if any. 99.99999% of boxes don't use a CI slot in north america so you can't purchase a CAM and access card and get it to work. BTW, where is the deal with a conditional access provider and a card manufacturer? Plus I believe you are crossing the line into becoming a satellite platform provider when you encrypt and sell pay per view. FCC approval? Licensing? A filing even?

Hell, is there a business license, certificate of assumed name, anything?

I'd be happy to be proven wrong but here are the known facts:

1. This is a website anyone can do. That is all it is.

2. It is all talk.

So lets sum it up:
- No permit in indiana;
- No permit with the FCC;
- They haven't mentioned a thing about market research (only guess-timates);
- They aren't streaming;
- They are not even testing their streaming capabilities;
- They are not associated with somebody, like a company, a religious group (none of the many churches), there are NO investors

end of c/p

????did I mention Im leasing transponder space for a Deniro in the day/ porn at night fta channel- Goodfellas Badgirls channel- GFBG- watch for it I took my empties in and "secured funding" and I still have talk to "Ray's Uncle" and "will discuss" with my friend at coffee tommorow and hook up my vcr to do an "in house equipment test" of the porn footage worth over $300 000 hahahaha

Night Prowler
09-15-2010, 05:14 AM
call one of the nearest dealers and see what they have to say.....:D

FARJOHN
09-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Everyone is speculating that thay have the answer . But you have to remember that Free DBS Never asked you for anything .Thay dont owe you squat ,In service or time or explanation . Thay will get it done in there own time and at their expanse . Some are adding their own interpretations to the news releases to make a point . It will be nice if and when thay get it up and running .I have so many tv channels now that I can wait for more to be put up .

Night Prowler
09-15-2010, 01:11 PM
I did some googling on the channels they are proposing......and a few popped up as web based channels......so getting them to satellite just might be in their best interest to get to more prople.....I can't see how this is a scam.......no one is asking for money.......and if it was a sham.......who's the one losing money for paying for the domain and server fees?....not me.......:D

I would just sit back and let things work out for themelves.......if it happens....great!!! if not......no sweat of our backs....:tehe:

B4U
09-15-2010, 05:23 PM
call one of the nearest dealers and see what they have to say.....:D

I am one of the installers that signed up on their page but i have never recieved any info at all from them , if they were asking for money i would definately run from it ... seeing how they started 9 months ago and have no solid proof or can't even name a sat that they will broadcast from I am guessing it is just talk.....So i will do like the rest and wait and see

trommy
09-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Freedbs is heading the way of just plain ole' bs, not much going on on their homepage or snooping on the net. Wow and not even rumors floating around on other sites, either very secretive or dead in the water?
Perhaps you should email them and tell them who you are and demand to know what they are doing.?

jrose
09-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Perhaps you should email them and tell them who you are and demand to know what they are doing.?

I don't care one way or the other im not a stake holder or competition im just intrigued by the hype and lack of business plan and the facts brought to light. Kinda like watching a dare-devil perform a stunt you hope he makes it but crashing and burning is entertaining too...im just watching the theatrics.

If you compare FreeHD Canada and the process they went through and these guys you can see who is playing with Monopoly money

trommy
10-13-2010, 01:49 PM
I did some googling on the channels they are proposing......and a few popped up as web based channels......so getting them to satellite just might be in their best interest to get to more prople.....I can't see how this is a scam.......no one is asking for money.......and if it was a sham.......who's the one losing money for paying for the domain and server fees?....not me.......:D

I would just sit back and let things work out for themelves.......if it happens....great!!! if not......no sweat of our backs....:tehe:

Your's is an intelligent observation but there are those who who just can't stand the idea of them succeeding (for whatever reason?) but will probably be their best friend when they do.

FARJOHN
10-13-2010, 03:25 PM
My best wishes to FREE DBS I hope they can get it together ,for the good of True FTA. I haven't been hurt to wait and try to understand what FREE DBS has to do to get this up and running . I believe that they will succeed in time .
Thanks Free DBS FOR TRYING

wildman25
10-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Everyone is speculating that thay have the answer . But you have to remember that Free DBS Never asked you for anything .Thay dont owe you squat ,In service or time or explanation . Thay will get it done in there own time and at their expanse . Some are adding their own interpretations to the news releases to make a point . It will be nice if and when thay get it up and running .I have so many tv channels now that I can wait for more to be put up .
I agree that nothing is owed, implied, or etc. with the proposed plans. I am actually waiting patiently hoping they get this thing working. Even if it's a few channels- it's more free that everyone can get. It seems they had higher hopes than they had bank account, and things have taken longer than expected- but since it's free, I'm not going to complain lol'ol

But, when/if they do get things working, there will have to be expectation and explanation if they want to sell premium services along with the free IMHO. That's the point IMHO when they become a service and will need to be accountable

trommy
10-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Has everyone forgotten,they said (2-3 mo. ago) that they 'ESTIMATED,it would be 3-12 months before' they could begin broadcasting.That's still time enough to have a baby.Don't give up on them so easily.

FARJOHN
10-16-2010, 01:54 AM
New release by FREE DBS.

News Release: 10/15/2010

We are sorry that this update has taken so long, But we wanted to give you something that was Newsworthy when we did post it.
We are proud to announce that Manhattan-Digital will be our receiver of choice. Our system has been specificly designed with Manhattan-Digital products in mind.

Night Prowler
10-16-2010, 02:05 AM
That's fine and dandy......and a HD receiver w/DVR.........now.......give me a price.......:D

Dish Doctor
10-16-2010, 02:11 AM
That's fine and dandy......and a HD receiver w/DVR.........now.......give me a price.......:D

Good luck finding a dealer in Canada, U.S., North American Continent, or this side of the world.

First bad move I have seen this outfit make.

Night Prowler
10-16-2010, 02:14 AM
Good luck finding a dealer in Canada, U.S., North American Continent, or this side of the world.

First bad move I have seen this outfit make.

funny thing is....they are based in Wisconsin......so they say.....:D

But they better get a few channels up before they want to start selling receivers......:thumbsup:

Dish Doctor
10-16-2010, 02:18 AM
funny thing is....they are based in Wisconsin......so they say.....:D

But they better get a few channels up before they want to start selling receivers......:thumbsup:

Ahh....

I did a search for Mahattan-Digital, and went to this website....

hxxp://www.manhattan-receivers.com/

I didn't think to click on the link in their announcement like you all did that leads you here....

hxxp://www.manhattan-digital.net/

FARJOHN
10-16-2010, 02:20 AM
I must agree with Dish Doctor It seems that all the adds are UK and Spain Ext,

Dish Doctor
10-16-2010, 02:25 AM
I guess the more I read on their site, I see where they say that when they goto MPEG-4 that certain receivers will not receive the EPG only the programming.

I guess that is a small price to pay to get a second life out of your Kbox HD receiver that never had a first life!!!

Night Prowler
10-16-2010, 02:37 AM
I guess the more I read on their site, I see where they say that when they goto MPEG-4 that certain receivers will not receive the EPG only the programming.

I guess that is a small price to pay to get a second life out of your Kbox HD receiver that never had a first life!!!

lol....for the 20 people that got a chance to get them......:D

this receiver says 16 day epg......:noidea:

FARJOHN
10-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Interesting Post
-------------------
Here are some familiar names: Manhattan-Digital News
Contact Us
============
------------------------------------------------------------------------

^ Mike Kohl - Technical Support

About Us
============

Manhattan digital is a U.S. company, based in Wisconsin. We represent various manufactures around the globe and United States.

Jeff Schumann founder and owner has been in the satellite industry since 1983. As an affiliate of Eurosat (UK) and Manhattan Receivers Incorporate, We introduced a Ku FTA stand alone receiver into the United States back in 1993. Through time we have designed and manufactured receivers for various groups for us in the states and around the world, including a local DBS company.

Jeff's involvement comes from the background of dealership, distribution and manufacturing. Most of your remember Jeff from days at Orbitron in both domestic and international sales. I enjoy working with the dealer base, designing new products dealers believe will bring great joy to their clients. I work hard at studying the market for trends with updated new designs from the manufactures.

I look forward working with dealers and public on this new receiver. From the start we want to bring another high-end receiver at a low price that will compliment/integrate this up-coming RS-1933 satellite receiver. With plans to bring manufacturing back to the states, that is our goal.

This receiver was named after my dad who has passed-on this last summer of 2010.

Another joy is working with and supporting the development of this product is Tony Witulski and Mike Kohl.

I met Tony when I was Managing Director Eurosat North America, distributing the hardware for international programs for Italy and Poland. Of course Tony was working with our Polish friends. I cannot say enough of Toni's friendship. His engineering knowledge is tremendous and knows the good from the bad. He tells me this all the time! But I will let Tony introduce himself to you.

Mike Kohl I met when I was with Orbirton. Many of you know Mike from his technical savvy. Which he has helped many of you threw difficult times. His knowledge of satellites, programming and the technical aspects of all systems in this industry make him second to none in the satellite and distribution industry. But I will let Mike throw in a few words as well.

Mike: Like Tony. Like updating the satellite/channel list, technical support when available and sales.

I'm truly blessed to have two fine individuals to be part of this company. Our plans are well though-out and aligned with the best manufactures to implement them. We look forward working with you in making you a better world to live in! In these difficult times we must work together more in creating and building new businesses and products. We hope to gain your support

FARJOHN
10-16-2010, 10:42 PM
POSTED BY GEEKT
---------_----------------
They have not yet deviated from their mission statement. They intend to offer FTA channels with additional PPV. You don't HAVE to buy their receiver. If you WANTED to buy their FIRST receiver, you could, to get the PPV on demand. This doesn't seem to be great for general FTA, but it's likely fine for the casual FTAer, or someone that just intends to receive their service.

secheltpaul
10-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Perhaps they will do an on-line schedule like white springs t v dose.

wildman25
10-17-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm sure that if/when it starts working there will be some resource to get the epg info. Even if it's only customizing zap2it to show the broadcasting channels. But right now it's like putting the horse before the cart.

trommy
10-17-2010, 07:00 PM
It appears that Manhatan is a "middleman" designing and procuring equipment for various clients around the world.Don't forget,their equipment will be for non-FTA customers,the average 'Joe'.(I don't plan to buy one anytime soon).I'll wait to see what capabilities FTA boxes have when they graduate to MPEG4.Why shouldn't they make a buck on their own STB.They're non-profit so they shouldn't cost alot and they are going to produce them domestically(US).I think their logic is sound.(Maybe my enthusium makes me a bit bias though).

wildman25
10-17-2010, 08:51 PM
I did manage to find receivers for sale, but only overseas. They seemed to run between @ $100 - @ $130, but I don't think any of them were hd. The hd, if I remember reading right , is in the works.

trommy
10-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Their Manhatan box will be mpeg2 (for at least the first year) and is aimed at the general public who don't know squat about FTA.They are starting in mpeg2 because the audience is ALREADY there.Once they are on a firm footing,they will make the change to mpeg4.Existing FTA units will receive their transmissions.Remember that they are a 'no frills',nonprofit operation(but I sincerely hope they can pay themselves a generous salary!!);not on the same level as the big providers.They won't be able to sell their boxes in Canada unless they have a license or if they qualify as an FTA stb.They haven't asked for any money and they owe us no explinations or even updates.It is their business what info to impart on the public.They can take their pick of satellites to use at short notice;there are plenty to choose from between 80 and 100w.Intelisat 3R is moving to 81w but is supposed to be at the end of it's life.If so why have they not put it in a deorbit position??They know a lot more than they are telling us,would you play poker with all your cards on the table? :thumbsup:

trommy
10-18-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm sure that if/when it starts working there will be some resource to get the epg info. Even if it's only customizing zap2it to show the broadcasting channels. But right now it's like putting the horse before the cart.

You seem to have a clear view there.Hopefully,software can give us an epg??Does anyone know if this is feasable/possible with the various stb's?I assume there is no generic software that could be used on most boxes?

FARJOHN
10-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Of all the receivers I have I find the Fortec Classic NA and the Mercury 11 are the best for true fTA ,so I hope they don't overlook the ones we have now .

trommy
10-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Of all the receivers I have I find the Fortec Classic NA and the Mercury 11 are the best for true fTA ,so I hope they don't overlook the ones we have now .

I have 4 Classic NA's I got stuck with about 3 yr ago and haven't had time to do anything with.Do they have a good blind scan and are they good for C band?I seem to remember a good picture.Thanks:noidea:

wildman25
10-19-2010, 02:39 AM
You seem to have a clear view there.Hopefully,software can give us an epg??Does anyone know if this is feasable/possible with the various stb's?I assume there is no generic software that could be used on most boxes?
zap2it.com is like tvguide and is on the internet. You can just look the tv channels up by zipcode or station and add them to your list. I used this before 123w died to find out what was on- you could usually catch some old movies if you looked ahead lol'ol.
But as far as getting epg on the receiver, I doubt the non-working receivers will give an official update for the epg- but it may come for receivers that the source code is public though, if someone takes an interest lol'ol

FARJOHN
10-19-2010, 12:41 PM
I find the CLASSIC NA IS A easy to set up and use , The scan is a bit slow as it scans 166 TP SETTINGS . It is my choice for anyone starting out on FTA and motor setup.As i said before I was 3 degrees off in my south settings ,so I just adjusted the sat freq to adjust this ,motor moves to any freq it is set too . The Mercury 11 is a great easy to use stb with a little different setup . Just yesterday I gave setup instructions to a newbie with a CLASSIC on the phone and in about ten minutes he was able to motor to 97W and scan over 150 channels.

trommy
10-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks Farjohn and Wildman,both very useful info.I think the guy I got the Classics from was supplying the 'foreign born' (I just coined that) in order to get 97w,which I think I read way back that it was chiefly designed for(probably at Sadoun).Sorry to take us off topic.

Night Prowler
10-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Let's not drift too far off the beaten path.........:thumbsup:

trommy
10-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Join Date Oct 18th, 2010
Location Wisconsin :yes:
Posts 1 In response
Manhattan-Digital in response;

First I want to give thanks to Satellite xxxx for hosting these forums. I find people helping people understand the problems they face with a stranger’s help, is nothing but American!

I greatly appreciate the people that have supported FreeDBS.org and hopefully you will give Manhattan-Digital the same level understanding of a new product that is being presented before you.

While there are some issues with our website, please be patient with us. Some folks have indicated that we are not running AC-3, ASC-3 or Dolby Digital (what ever you reference to the said audio). Please understand that MPEG-4 includes AC-3 within the format. It’s just the software restrictions that one company places may not support it. We will support AC-3 in both digital and analog formats. We understand that analog is needed because of old TV sets and offer the composite output for such consumers. Just don’t have the logo listed on our sample pieces. We did not offer RF output due to un-needed added costs.

The RS-1933 unit was built for a low cost solution with a CAM (conditional access module) reader. We will be supporting different conditional access systems, but wanted the versatility of a true FTA receiver. We can incorporate most CA systems with a card reader to meet anyone’s demands. This is a very versatile platform, but we also wanted it to be a low-cost solution to the market with a $219 retail price that includes a CAM/PVR solution.

We are introducing the Plaza series MPEG-2 unit with dual Multi-Crypt card reader with our Manhattan partners at Eurosat London . We just finished the NTSC version of the product for a low cost solution to conditional access systems. Multi-Crypt can read just about any active CA card system on the market; providing a very low cost solution to the dealer/distributor network. Manhattan DVB-S receivers are one of the very few to have this in the world.

There are two more MPEG-4 products receivers that are in the design stages, with added features and benefits. Plus a new line of cable, switches, HDMI cables, off-air antennas and commercial switches. A line of satellite antennas and LNBFs are also in the works.

I look forward to working with everyone in building their business. That is what we are trying to achieve in this market,,, isn’t it?

Jeff Schumann
Manhattan-digital

From another site.

FARJOHN
10-27-2010, 05:20 PM
It has been 7 months now since this was released :

News Release: 3/30/2010

We are now estimating a broadcast date from 3 to 12 months, many of our channels are coming together but the process is slow due to the massive amount of content and limited personnel we have to assemble it.

IS threr any oppinions at when in the next five months thay may start up transmissions ?

Night Prowler
10-27-2010, 05:52 PM
It has been 7 months now since this was released :

We are now estimating a broadcast date from 3 to 12 months, many of our channels are coming together but the process is slow due to the massive amount of content and limited personnel we have to assemble it.

IS threr any oppinions at when in the next five months thay may start up transmissions ?

I think once(and if) they announce the Satellite position.....it wouldn't be to much longer.....they have the receivers set and worked out...:noidea:

roofa-d
11-14-2010, 03:07 AM
wow its been a few weeks with no freebs update, I bet once one more person replies to this thread we'll see another update from freebs and then it will appear here:tape: :laughat::bump:

FARJOHN
11-14-2010, 03:27 AM
I hope you are right roofa-d ,Thay do hang on a news release a long time !! Maybe thay are waiting for that sat to get to 81W ,not too long now !!

roofa-d
11-14-2010, 03:39 AM
BOOM! that was quick betchya there's an update soon (within 48 hrs almost sure thing)

even if freebs is bs I think its okay cause it brings in potential posters to help
other real True FTA'ers in this for rum :pirate

jrose
11-14-2010, 06:07 AM
wow its been a few weeks with no freebs update, I bet once one more person replies to this thread we'll see another update from freebs and then it will appear here:tape: :laughat::bump:

I noticed that too when I posted here once... Coincidence hmmmm? Maybe Rays uncle is an insider.

trommy
11-14-2010, 11:59 PM
[/COLOR]QUOTE=FARJOHN;203747]It has been 7 months now since this was released :

IS threr any oppinions at when in the next five months thay may start up transmissions ?[/QUOTE]

YES there is.They may NOT start by then.Everyone keeps choosing to ignore the word "estimating".It means " an educated GUESS". Read the words and quit making them mean something they don't mean!!They didn't make any promises in any way,shape,or form.This is meant for all you people who insist on stating that FreeDBS "said they would start in.... months".Well they didn't so wake up.

trommy
11-15-2010, 12:13 AM
I am in agreement with Night Prowler and Farjohn.It's too much of a coincidence for that 81 slot to be opening up at the right time.If that sat has enough power for one tp only, for a year or 2,then that's all FreeDBS would need to get off the ground.Obviously fuel is no problem.(They may have friends in the right place.)

FARJOHN
11-15-2010, 01:25 AM
As Intelsat 3R is at 79.82 W it will be in the 81.0 slot in the next week and we may have a answer to the use of that sat thin . Hopefully trommy your on the right track .

trommy
11-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks for following that sat Farjohn.It's good to know.There's a thread about FreeDBS on Hypermegasat's own site in which that NewZealand reporter,who has gone where FreeDBS is now going so he knows the in's and out's,has made many posts pointing out many gaps/mistakes? in the FreeDBS approach to getting on-air.(in the 'General Free To Air' section.)It's too 'complicated' and too long to bring the whole thread here.It's not very encouraging.

FARJOHN
11-18-2010, 01:18 AM
I see that Intelsat 3R is at 80.0°W AND listed as at 81.22 west we should see what it is doing soon now.

Night Prowler
12-14-2010, 02:19 AM
Merry Christmas.....no free channels for you......:D

update Dec 13th.......C&P

News Release: 12/13/2010

Progress is being made. While negotiations are on going, We will have limited News Releases. Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!
Remember the reason for the season.

WillDekkard
12-14-2010, 06:07 AM
Merry Christmas.....no free channels for you......:D

update Dec 13th.......C&P

News Release: 12/13/2010

Progress is being made. While negotiations are on going, We will have limited News Releases. Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!
Remember the reason for the season.

Well you know what that means . . . . Ray's Uncle is taking a break for Christmas and New Years. No more info till next year - lol ! :laughat:;)

Night Prowler
01-07-2011, 06:08 AM
Well......it's been a year since the meetings with Ray's Uncle........Happy Anniversary!!!!.......:tehe:

FARJOHN
01-26-2011, 02:01 AM
Wondering how Progress is being made. While negotiations are on going, We will have limited News Releases :was posted The estimated 12 months will soon be here

roofa-d
02-01-2011, 01:57 AM
actually I heard somewhere that they will broadcast as they say the will.....
and they have a new category of program called" old school tv fugitive shows."
and their main show will be - "THE MAN FROM RAYS U.N.C.L.E" .LOL !:tehe::bawl::tehe:

jaco59
02-23-2011, 05:32 AM
I got into true FTA a couple of years ago partly because of the offerings on Galaxy 18 at 123W. G-18 had a bunch of commercial channels from around the country and one day they were no longer there. I've been waiting for them to pop up somewhere else.

I hope Free DBS comes through. If not I'll have to try false FTA.

Jaco

roofa-d
02-24-2011, 02:42 AM
sorry bud! they're not gonna come through.... it looks like it was just a bait tactic

trommy
02-24-2011, 05:25 PM
I don't know why I bother but here it is:

" News Release: 3/30/2010
We are now estimating a broadcast date from 3 to 12 months, many of our channels are coming together but the process is slow due to the massive amount of content and limited personnel we have to assemble it. "

arc_eyes
05-16-2011, 05:17 PM
News Release: 5/13/2011

FreeDBS is currently going through a conversion. Stay Tuned for further updates.

Still stringing us along?

Costactc
05-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Stringing who along? It was an idea of having a great lineup of free to air channels, they owe absolutely nothing to anybody. If it does come into place then we'll have an alternative to what we're watching now, if not so be it- life goes on.
Having said that, the new Manhattan RS-1933 receiver, which is said to be the one for Free DBS, is slated to be released this week. FTA has evolved over the years and is continuously changing, if this does actually get setup then it's a bonus for all of us.

slugworth
05-16-2011, 08:44 PM
They were supposed to cater to receivers already in place,not having to buy their brand.
True fta hasn't evolved at all,receivers 8 years old still work fta.
Any hd channels up there aren't for normal consumption.

Costactc
05-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Nobody said that they wouldn't cater to other stb, just rumor that the new hd stb is supposed to be the one used with their service. Funny you say fta hasn't evolved, I scan in over 1,200 fta channels of which some come and go on a daily basis. Let's see, so your saying that the 100+ hd channels I scan in shouldn't be available? I'm a bit confused, maybe you can enlighten me.

secheltpaul
05-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Here is an e-mail I received just a few days ago. I sent something to them just to see and got a reply. This is what I got. Sent another and asked if they are still headed towards true FTA. If I here back I will let you know. I can’t imagine how hard it would to put this together. Hope it works. How cool would that be?
………………………………………………………………………………………….

Paul,

We are still here, Thanks for your email.
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: hello?
Date: Wed, May 04, 2011 5:10 pm
To: [email protected]

anyone out there?

slugworth
05-17-2011, 03:00 AM
Nobody said that they wouldn't cater to other stb, just rumor that the new hd stb is supposed to be the one used with their service. Funny you say fta hasn't evolved, I scan in over 1,200 fta channels of which some come and go on a daily basis. Let's see, so your saying that the 100+ hd channels I scan in shouldn't be available? I'm a bit confused, maybe you can enlighten me.

I must be on the wrong side of the earth.
For what I can get there aren't even enough transponders to get near that many channels ku true fta.

channelman
05-17-2011, 11:46 AM
ku or Cband. Big difference in channel lineup.

slugworth
05-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I can't have a c-band dish,against the association rules.

iq180
05-17-2011, 03:38 PM
you can get c band on a small 39 inch dish, i used one for over a year and it worked great on most sats.
i use a 7 & 1/2 bud now for c band and ku band so i dont care what sat they use, just as long as they get it going.

Costactc
05-17-2011, 04:44 PM
I must be on the wrong side of the earth.
For what I can get there aren't even enough transponders to get near that many channels ku true fta.

Most channels are on c band, especially the hd ones. I scan in excess of 100 hd channels in total and all sats accounted for from 11w-121w.

slugworth
05-17-2011, 05:01 PM
They sell kits to mod a 1 meter dish for c-band use,I may try that with my retailer primestar dish.
I just hope it isn't too frustrating.

Costactc
05-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Not frustrating at all but don't expect too many channels to scan in. I used my 6' solid on c band before setting up my 10' bud and I scanned in about 70-75% of c band channels I now scan in with the bud. The most difficult are the s2 hd channels.

satchick
05-17-2011, 05:55 PM
121w is supposed to work pretty well with a mini-C-band setup....

slugworth
05-17-2011, 07:28 PM
fair weather viewing.

iq180
05-17-2011, 08:17 PM
you will need a bracket for the lnbf and a conical scalar ring.
i just had another 7 1/2 bud give to me with a toshiba trx-1420 c/ku band reciver with card slot
dont know what it will be good for but time will tell.

secheltpaul
05-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Received a reply today.

……………………………………………………………………………………

Paul,

We are still here. Technical issues not solved yet. Thanks !!!
Subject: Re: hello?
Date: Sun, May 15, 2011 3:13 pm
To: edward@freedbs.

i know you have been asked over and over but are you still on the path to free satellite TV?
thank you very much for your reply.
take care
Paul
Sechelt b c
Canada

On 5/15/2011 2:37 PM, edward@freedbs. wrote:
Paul,

We are still here, Thanks for your email.
Subject: hello?
Date: Wed, May 04, 2011 5:10 pm
To: MikeLeVato@Freedbs.

anyone out there?

arc_eyes
05-26-2011, 05:03 PM
News Release: 05/24/2011

Sorry it has been so long in posting this news, we have been very busy behind the scenes. There are multiple corporations working to bring this together. Mike LeVato has been elected CEO. Business e-mails are priority and this puts us behind on FTA questions. Most asked Questions. What satellite will you be on & and when will you go up ? We will not answer these questions at this time. Equipment Questions should be referred to Manhattan Digital. We welcome LegitFTA.com to our FTA support list.

Kernel Klank
05-27-2011, 04:29 AM
Waiting around for Free DBS.org is like anxiously awaiting around for the latest, greatest buggy from the horse & buggy factory down the road. The car has long since replaced the buggy just like the internet has long since replaced TV & movies for Free TV'ers.
The race has already been run and they were no-shows.
RIP FreeDBS.

channelman
05-28-2011, 01:35 AM
Waiting around for Free DBS.org is like anxiously awaiting around for the latest, greatest buggy from the horse & buggy factory down the road. The car has long since replaced the buggy just like the internet has long since replaced TV & movies for Free TV'ers.
RIP FreeDBS.
Great positive attitude there sport. If I've learned anything in this hobby it's that anything is possible. Label me optimistic if you will. :)

Night Prowler
05-28-2011, 01:52 AM
RIP FreeDBS.

maybe the buggy will make a come back.......(with gas prices and the end of crude oil).......:lol:

slugworth
05-28-2011, 08:09 AM
just like the internet has long since replaced TV & movies for Free TV'ers.
RIP FreeDBS.
You have to pay for internet,especially high speed enough to get tv and movies.
So it didn't replace anything for me.

FARJOHN
05-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Free DBS.org is just that Free ,I have followed this idea since it started ,what has it cost me ? just my time and the hope that these guys git it to work . Thay don't owe me a thing . I wish a lot more effort was put in to FTA and a lot less complaining about the ones that try . I a long time ago did pay for TV ,For years now I have been a Free TVer . I have tv 24/7 ,My cost has been less thin $800 in the last 10 years ,What have I got to complain about (nothing) I say give credit to the ones that try even if thay cant beat the odds . Stop complaining about the FREE MEAL just don't eat it !!!!! Free DBS.org are a small player in a big game , I wish them all the luck to suceed in there plan................

FARJOHN
05-29-2011, 02:41 AM
Thank you JCO ,If more peoples would show a positive attitude about the attempts that are being done by forums like SATFIX to make all types of tv reception work for us and the work of others to get us FTA at little or no cost there would be a lot more cheering for the team . THANKS AGAIN JCO .

Kernel Klank
06-05-2011, 02:50 AM
I'm not against FreeDBS.org or the idea of free tv. I'm all for it. I wish we had the selection of true FTA sat TV in North America that they have in Europe. My point was simply that they seem to be dead in the water and for those who are still waiting.... why? Even if they get off the ground, the programming looks & sounds to be 3rd rate, judging by their online teasers. No news releases in 6 months now and seemingly nothing happening. Granted, in their last update they did say going forward that news updates would be infrequent. Guess they weren't lying.
But for those of us with a decent hi-speed internet pkg, there is simply a far better selection available online in both streaming videos and torrent downloads for people not into IKS and who prefer not to pay for TV. FreeDBS, while nice, isn't much of a draw.
And then there's Netflix. Here in expensive Canada, under $10/month with HST for commercial free TV. Actually worth paying for at that price.

FARJOHN
06-05-2011, 06:48 PM
If it was just a deal of uploading to a sat ,Free DBS would be up a long time ago .But face it it is a big cost and thay have to get the cash to do it . I see thay have a hit counter on there site now ,so I think thay are interested to see what interest is being shown to FREE DBS now .

arc_eyes
06-08-2011, 04:36 AM
News Release: 6/07/2011

FreeDBS site update in progress. We have lots of information coming very soon! We are putting together a list of preferred dealers and a map of the FreeDBS coverage area. Please Stay Tuned!

juka
06-09-2011, 04:42 PM
The last 2 news releases have been teasers, I am waiting for "2 weeks" to show up in their comments.....

sneerboy
10-04-2011, 12:44 PM
I guess freedbs is dead in the water, sadly.
:(

secheltpaul
10-04-2011, 02:47 PM
i think the US economy my have a lot to do with it.

kenkell1
10-04-2011, 03:16 PM
I guess freedbs is dead in the water, sadly.
:(

I doubt it ever had a chance to begin with.

af_newbie
01-23-2012, 08:56 PM
I see this in the Spanish section but not english:

freedbs.org/

Worth a quick look anyway...

It will be worth to monitor their progress.
We need more competition. In Canada, Bev, Shaw subscriptions are about $1000+++/year plus $250 for receiver/admin/setup etc.