PDA

View Full Version : Rotator.....

Night Prowler
01-19-2010, 06:36 PM
I think I am ready for better signals and most likely not going the stacked antenna way......so I found this rotator and has the features I am most interested in......I will add a thrust bearing to stabilize it more......

http://www.eagleaspen.com/products/products_1.php?id=89

My question is......Has anyone personally used this one and how is the failure rate if any?

dan9999
01-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Fantastic if it works as advertised...

I saw this at an AVS Forum...

The obvious advantage is you use only one cable between the control box and the rotor. The control to turn the rotor is through the coaxial cable. They do warn you of two things;
1. They recommend pure copper center conductor rather than the more popular copper covered steel which is less expensive. If you do use the cheaper cable it has a limit of 75'. With the pure copper the limit is 200'.
2. You are restricted to what pre-amp you use. The limit is 50ma at 17vdc.

Night Prowler
01-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Fantastic if it works as advertised...

I saw this at an AVS Forum...

The obvious advantage is you use only one cable between the control box and the rotor. The control to turn the rotor is through the coaxial cable. They do warn you of two things;
1. They recommend pure copper center conductor rather than the more popular copper covered steel which is less expensive. If you do use the cheaper cable it has a limit of 75'. With the pure copper the limit is 200'.
2. You are restricted to what pre-amp you use. The limit is 50ma at 17vdc.

I think I just read the same one........;)

looks like I may take the chance.....:yes:

dumb as a stump
01-25-2010, 03:12 AM
I think I am ready for better signals and most likely not going the stacked antenna way......so I found this rotator and has the features I am most interested in......I will add a thrust bearing to stabilize it more......

http://www.eagleaspen.com/products/products_1.php?id=89

My question is......Has anyone personally used this one and how is the failure rate if any?
That looks cool I dont know anything about it BUT if you get it let us know how it works cause next time I need a rotor.....

proline
01-25-2010, 04:52 PM
With 10 ft pounds of torque, hope you live in an area where the wind is pretty calm! The warning about the solid copper center conductor is excellent as well as double shielded coax that has less resistance with the shield lead. You can overcome that by using a #12 solid copper grounding wire with ground blocks on both ends of the cable. I suspect the biggest problem will be the antenna windmilling and you will have to resync it after the wind rotates the antenna as they are only sensing the motor rotation and not the rotator position.

Certainly not in the class of the Yaesu rotators, but probably a couple of hundred dollars less expensive. Good luck and let us know how it performs.