PDA

View Full Version : blue screen of death at startup

Newf
01-21-2010, 12:15 AM
ok so I have windows xp and today my laptop will no longer boot...it gives me the option to start in safe mode, or last good configuration, or start windows normally...but all 3 gives me the same result...it flashes a blue screen for a second and then restarts....so basically I cannot get my laptop to startup...anyone know anything about what could cause this or how \i might be able to fix it...I did a little googling and found many answers but none that helped...I think it could be a bad harddrive because it has been making a lot of noise lately....if thats the case does anyone know how to recover data from a bad HD?

moss1234
01-21-2010, 12:18 AM
you answer your own question :)
replace the HDD and reload the OS that should fix your problem ?

rob318us
01-21-2010, 05:33 PM
It may or may not be the hard drive..Get a pen and paper and write down the
error code real fast before it shuts down.Then google that code and see where it leads to ,ram and video can do this as well..It still can be the hard drive.Narrow down the problem with the error code..

StanW
01-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Most laptops have a hidden recovery partition . Did you verify if yours has one ?

Soah
01-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Go to any computer store and purchase a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE converter.
Follow this link to see what it looks like
hxxp://sewelldirect.com/25to35ideconverter.asp

Once you have removed the HD from the laptop use the converter to slap it into a computer as a slave drive.

Do this to copy all your data off of it.
While your copying the data or after your done look for signs of it being defective.

1. Failed Copies.
2. Abnormally long to copy.
3. Clunking noises from the HD.
4. Event ID suggesting bad Blocks. (Right click my Computer and go to Manage. From there go to event viewer on the left side and under system events.)

If you manage to get all your data off with no issues then put it in your laptop and wipe and reinstall windows.

If all goes well and your laptop is back up and running chances are your hard drive is not defective.

(I have seen many things cause blue screens. Once even a defective mouse.)

Good luck

Newf
01-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Most laptops have a hidden recovery partition . Did you verify if yours has one ?

it does have a backup partition but I can't access it...won't boot at all

Newf
01-21-2010, 09:25 PM
It may or may not be the hard drive..Get a pen and paper and write down the
error code real fast before it shuts down.Then google that code and see where it leads to ,ram and video can do this as well..It still can be the hard drive.Narrow down the problem with the error code..

it doesn't stay there long enough to get any error code. gonna try and catch a pic of it maybe....thanks for the suggestion

Kal-El
01-22-2010, 01:51 AM
Can you get into the BIOS. Usually it's F2 at boot. Are you using a Sata HD? Check your settings, sometimes, when you get a virus, it changes the settings. I find usually setting the SATA Operation to Legacy, allows it to boot into windows so you can deal with those pesky suckers.

Canuck Knarf
01-22-2010, 02:00 AM
One other thing you might want to check is your memory sticks . I have had that happen a few times . One has gone bad and I get the blue screen

Whozzat
01-22-2010, 02:11 AM
have you tried to boot from cd? eg. hirens bootcd. if you can boot from that you might be able to recover your files to usb. what make and model is your laptop?

Newf
01-22-2010, 11:00 PM
update: so I got a cd and tried to install a new copy of windows and when it got so far into the installation I got an error saying there was no hard drive...I wonder if its possible for a virus to do that...I'm gonna try the BIOS advice Kal-El because I can get in there...not quite sure I understand what you are saying to change but I am gonna have a look at it anyways. But I got a feeling the hard drive is pooched...it was making noise for the past few weeks...its my own fault I didn't back it up earlier.

Newf
01-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Well I went out and bought a new PC...all is left to do is get the data off the old pc...hopefully get time to try that later...now anyone know what the best security software/antivirus to get for it? Is avast any good?

Costactc
01-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Sorry to hear you had to buy another pc but they do go. I've been using Bell internet security service and quite pleased with it. Used to use McAfee.

yostar
01-24-2010, 02:30 AM
Wnow anyone know what the best security software/antivirus to get for it? Is avast any good?

try AVG, it's the best FREE antivirus there is.

sorry to here about you "puter", but hey... you need a new toy to play with... :comfort1:

PSHIELD
01-30-2010, 08:28 PM
ok so I have windows xp and today my laptop will no longer boot...it gives me the option to start in safe mode, or last good configuration, or start windows normally...but all 3 gives me the same result...it flashes a blue screen for a second and then restarts....so basically I cannot get my laptop to startup...anyone know anything about what could cause this or how \i might be able to fix it...I did a little googling and found many answers but none that helped...I think it could be a bad harddrive because it has been making a lot of noise lately....if thats the case does anyone know how to recover data from a bad HD?

remove your harddrive from your laptop, you can use the external harddrive cable make it sure it has usb to connect to usb port. What kind of harddrive you are using, is it SATA or IDE. Plug-in the usb cable to your desktop PC or laptop to recover the data from bad harddrive. Hope this will help.

js3811
02-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Open the laptop & reseat the hard drive.See if the laptop can see the hdd now.Check in the bios.Instead of installing windows,try to do a repair first.With a repair,you wouldn't lose any info.
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/winxp/repairxp/page1.htm
What I would suggest is to image your hdd so incase you ever replace a hdd or need to reinstall windows cause of a virus or whatever,you have an image to restore the hdd.Use this software,it's free.
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/features/backup-system-state.htm