PDA

View Full Version : Hopper and FTA

Sg6700
11-21-2012, 07:38 PM
So we just got the Dish Hopper/Joey system. I saw they have installed the DUO switch for this. I wanna hook up FTA using the dish that they have installed on my roof. Couple questions:

1. Can I use the same dish for FTA and Hopper/Joey system?
2. If yes, then can I use the 3x4x3 dish switch to have signal for both Hopper/Joey + FTA ird?
3. If no then I assume I need to setup 2 dishes (1 for hopper and 1 for FTA use) then correct?

I unplug one of the main port that goes to my Hopper and use it on my FTA to see if I get any signal, and I did get good signal and quality. I am asking these questions because I want to try out the NextFTA but not sure if my current setup is working with FTA and Hopper on 1 dish.

Any helps would greatly be appreciated.

TIA

Terryl
11-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Well the hopper system works a bit different then normal satellite systems, it puts the third satellite on a third band, (along with the two stacked bands it uses now) this satellite is not viewable on FTA receivers due to it's frequency.

Also due to the fact that the hopper system is connected to the internet and reports to dish, they may know that one of the hoppers/joeys is out of the loop and may contact you about the problem.

Sg6700
11-21-2012, 11:05 PM
So I checked out the dish setup:

I have Dish Plus (Oval) with 4 ports Dish HD Plus LNB (don't think it's dpx model though)

These lines are going to the DUO switch for the Hopper/Joey.

I want to use a different switch so I can have more ports for my FTA since the DUO has 2 hosts and 2 clients which are not enough if I add the FTA to it. My question is that can we use dish legacy switch like the DPP 3x4

or the DPP 4x4 witches to connect the Hopper and FTA together or I must use the DUO for the hopper? Can I link the dpp44 or dpp34 to the DUO and go from there?

Thanks for replying...

Terryl
11-21-2012, 11:36 PM
If you want to keep your hopper/joey system running then you have to use the duo switch, the DPP44 switch will not work for a hopper system, nor can you put the DPP44 switch in front of the duo switch, they will not work together and the hopper/joey system will shut down.

If you want to use an FTA receiver it's best to install a separate second dish and LNB's for it.

The hopper system is new (well almost new) and the FTA coders do not have a fix for that setup, the codes to use the hopper/joey system are proprietary to Dish and no one else.