PDA

View Full Version : Why Openbox?

hondoharry
12-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Just ordered an S10 for ClaroTV Puerto Rico @ 125W. I'm in the footprint in Central America. Pretty good channel selection in English with networks, news, movies, educational and some HD including ESPN. I have an IKS provider that says all open incl. HD. Looks like a good backup for when DN is down which is becoming more often lately.

Been reading the posts in this section and it's unclear what you folks are using this box for. Claro? Sky? Dish SD? C Band FTA? Ku FTA?

Claro is on the Caribbean beam but there are FTA channels on the NA beam, mainly PBS but not sure if they are Ku. Will the Openbox scan those as well with a linear LNB if there's enough signal.

How good is the signal meter on the S10 for alignment? Does it have sound for signal? Can I use an old Pansat 3500 that beeps for Claro?

ro_54
12-20-2012, 12:41 AM
None of the openbox brand will open turbo HD channel.
Also the is no EPG on DN.
EPG on b^v only.
It is a good scanning device. Very good on FTA (C & Ku).

diode
12-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Good morning HondoHarry. The s10 does not have the signal beeper that I'm aware of. Your pansat will be useful as you will be able to find the FTA PBS channels .... At least they work on the north coast of Honduras with 85 cm dish. Then scan the sat with openbox. The Caribbean beam is very strong but the pansat will not scan the dvbs2 signal. The s10 works with 61.5, 72, (no epg) 77sd and 58 west SD only as well.

hondoharry
12-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Good morning HondoHarry. The s10 does not have the signal beeper that I'm aware of. Your pansat will be useful as you will be able to find the FTA PBS channels .... At least they work on the north coast of Honduras with 85 cm dish. Then scan the sat with openbox. The Caribbean beam is very strong but the pansat will not scan the dvbs2 signal. The s10 works with 61.5, 72, (no epg) 77sd and 58 west SD only as well.

Good info, thanks. Does it also work with 110 SD? Do you think a 1.8m dish in northern Honduras aligned to 129 will pick up enough signal on 125 with a linear LNB skewed strategically on the side and slightly lower?

hondoharry
12-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Tried with the Pansat for the FTA TP and the dish still on 129 and got nothing. I don't think the Pansat will get anything on the FTA TP since Lyngsat says it's 8PSK. Have to wait for the S10.

diode
12-22-2012, 03:15 AM
Tried with the Pansat for the FTA TP and the dish still on 129 and got nothing. I don't think the Pansat will get anything on the FTA TP since Lyngsat says it's 8PSK. Have to wait for the S10.

The S10 will only get tp21 on sat 129 because it doesn't do turbo 8psk. Your pansat should be able to get tp21 too. You should be able to hit 125 west on fta.

diode
12-22-2012, 03:17 AM
119 and 110 both work on the s10. No epg and no Hd.

hondoharry
12-22-2012, 12:21 PM
The S10 will only get tp21 on sat 129 because it doesn't do turbo 8psk. Your pansat should be able to get tp21 too. You should be able to hit 125 west on fta.

Actually I was trying to get 125 with another LNB on the side while the 1.8m dish was still on 129 and got nothing on the FTA TP. Those big round dishes don't do multiple sats well if at all.

diode
12-22-2012, 01:53 PM
I have seen two sats on a prime focus dish but I don't think I'm smart enough to figure the angle correctly. The feed horn is different on prime focus. If you try to use an lnbf for an offset dish it will only "see" about 30 percent of the surface area.

hondoharry
12-22-2012, 07:12 PM
I have seen two sats on a prime focus dish but I don't think I'm smart enough to figure the angle correctly. The feed horn is different on prime focus. If you try to use an lnbf for an offset dish it will only "see" about 30 percent of the surface area.

Mine is offset but I still don't think the Pansat will get anything on either Claro or FTA. Should have the S10 on Dec. 26 when someone brings it down for me.

iq180
12-23-2012, 02:13 AM
Just ordered an S10 for ClaroTV Puerto Rico @ 125W. I'm in the footprint in Central America. Pretty good channel selection in English with networks, news, movies, educational and some HD including ESPN. I have an IKS provider that says all open incl. HD. Looks like a good backup for when DN is down which is becoming more often lately.

Been reading the posts in this section and it's unclear what you folks are using this box for. Claro? Sky? Dish SD? C Band FTA? Ku FTA?

Claro is on the Caribbean beam but there are FTA channels on the NA beam, mainly PBS but not sure if they are Ku. Will the Openbox scan those as well with a linear LNB if there's enough signal.

How good is the signal meter on the S10 for alignment? Does it have sound for signal? Can I use an old Pansat 3500 that beeps for Claro?
what you need is a jynx box, it works on claro, and dn.

hondoharry
12-23-2012, 03:24 AM
what you need is a jynx box, it works on claro, and dn.

Can I get one for the $72 delivered I paid for the Openbox S10 HD? Will it get the 8PSK HD FTA TP's on the same sat??

iq180
12-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Can I get one for the $72 delivered I paid for the Openbox S10 HD? Will it get the 8PSK HD FTA TP's on the same sat??
no you cant get one for 72 usd, but you get what you pay for, i have a dead open box S16 but my jynx still works, LOL.

hondoharry
12-24-2012, 01:11 AM
no you cant get one for 72 usd, but you get what you pay for, i have a dead open box S16 but my jynx still works, LOL.

They're both cheap Chinese crap. The old Korean made models were better quality - SV, VS and NF.

iq180
12-24-2012, 03:18 AM
They're both cheap Chinese crap. The old Korean made models were better quality - SV, VS and NF.
so very true, if my azbox would get turbo fec i would not want or need any other reciver.lol.

budyyy
01-01-2013, 08:27 PM
You'd be lucky to find a new jynxbox for less than 150$.. The best toys often coms with the worst pricetags.

hondoharry
01-02-2013, 02:59 AM
Got ClaroTV Puerto Rico on 125W working today with the Openbox S10. No luck on the 1.8m dish aligned to 129 so I moved the other 1.8m dish from 110 to 125 and got great signal on Claro as well as the true FTA PBS channels in HD and SD on the NA beam. All channels are open with a Claro P$, both SD and HD. Fast channel changes and runs cool. Pretty good channel selection in English, including the networks. Total success for a DN backup.

draxhall
01-02-2013, 12:02 PM
HI hello Hondo harry, I have a jynxbox ,but i am not seeing Claro tv in the sat list .Could you tell me what sat to use and give me the vertical and horizontal tps with the symbol rate. THANK YOU

hondoharry
01-02-2013, 01:00 PM
HI hello Hondo harry, I have a jynxbox ,but i am not seeing Claro tv in the sat list .Could you tell me what sat to use and give me the vertical and horizontal tps with the symbol rate. THANK YOU

Claro is on AMC21 @ 125W which should be in your sat list. The Openbox does blind scan so no need to enter TP configs but you can check them at Lyngsat. A linear LNB is required like those used for true FTA.

zelig
01-17-2013, 07:53 PM
I can detect claro on both 50w and 125w in new england,about 100 channels each but I have no source for an iks server so I re-aimed for 30w.

zelig
01-17-2013, 07:57 PM
rigged manhattan firmware has the signal beep function and works on the s10, but you have to disable the protection ic.Not feasible unless you are using the receiver for true fta and have soldering skills.(or the s10 is a clone without the protection ic)

hondoharry
01-18-2013, 03:40 AM
I can detect claro on both 50w and 125w in new england,about 100 channels each but I have no source for an iks server so I re-aimed for 30w.

Claro @ 50W is for Central America and is mostly in Spanish. Claro @ 125W is for Puerto Rico, a US territory with rights to US programming in English. PM Kalimantester for IKS services.

zelig
01-18-2013, 04:01 AM
I believe that are all spanish.

hondoharry
01-18-2013, 04:47 PM
I believe that are all spanish.

Wrong. 125 is 90% English. Read the opening post in this thread.

hondoharry
01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
I can detect claro on both 50w and 125w in new england,

That confirms the footprint map showing signal in eastern and southern states. Seems to taper out at Maine where a bigger dish would be needed. What size dish/motor do you have?

zelig
01-18-2013, 06:03 PM
50w takes a universal lnb due to the tp freqs claro uses,so I use my fixed dish 1meter old primestar.
As per the iks mention I would only be interested in a test cline or cw logs,since it is all spanish it would just be a been there done that thing and not constant viewing.

zelig
01-18-2013, 06:07 PM
cw logs would be ideal,since the openbox can record scrambled programming and you can decrypt the ts later on the pc if you have the cw logs for the programming.More popular in europe where they used to just post the cw logs for a sat/channel/time/date in zip format.

hondoharry
01-26-2013, 04:25 PM
50w takes a universal lnb due to the tp freqs claro uses,so I use my fixed dish 1meter old primestar.
As per the iks mention I would only be interested in a test cline or cw logs,since it is all spanish it would just be a been there done that thing and not constant viewing.

50W is best for Central Americans in the US or elsewhere. 125W is best for Americans in Central America or anywhere as a backup for DN since most programming is in English. 125W is for Puerto Rico so they can broadcast US channels without any international restrictions.