PDA

View Full Version : usb to db9 cable

melvin5454
01-13-2013, 05:21 AM
tring to make a usb to db9 cable / heres what i have 1 usb cable with 4 wires red greeb white black and then a 9 pin d hub were do the wires go to on the d hub [what pins and what colors go were or if that can be done

Terryl
01-13-2013, 07:55 AM
If you are trying to make a USB to a DB9 connection for doing a data transfer, it can't be done directly by wires, the signals are completely different and directly incompatible and you will/may burn something out.

You need a USB to DB9 converter, it has an interface IC that buffers and converts the signals to there respective levels.

look on line for a USB to DB9 interface, and if you have Windows 7 you need one that is compatible.

melvin5454
01-13-2013, 05:11 PM
ok on a cat5 wire there are 8 wires and on a d hub there 9 pines were do i put the 8 wires on d hub and do i use a null cable or a straight though cable not sure witch one to use

Recove52
01-13-2013, 06:10 PM
prolific usb to serial.(DB9)..can be had at a reasonable cost and also has a disc with the drivers and if you lose the disc they have a website where drivers can be downloaded..you can also google the how to...usb to serial...

Terryl
01-13-2013, 06:20 PM
You need two DB9 connectors to make a DB9 cable, and depending on what type of cable your receiver needs sets the the connector type on each end, 2 male, 2 female, or a male on one end and a female on the other. (I think it's 2 male connectors)

For RS-232 data transfer using a DB9 cable you only need 3 (or 4) wires, one to pin 2, one to pin 3 and one to pin 5. (and 9 if you use shielded wire)

Wiring from pin 2 to pin 2 between connectors and 3 to 3 is a straight through cable.

Wiring pin 2 to pin 3, and pin 3 to pin 2 between connectors is a null modem cable. (5 to 5 for a ground on both cables)(also 9 to 9 if shielded cable is used)

And I don't remember what type of cable is used for your receiver, I think a null modem is required.

Terryl
01-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Also do not wire up a CAT 5 cable with a router/LAN connector (RJ-45) on one end to a DB 9 on the other, it will mess up your router big time and you may need a new one.

DB9 to DB9 is for RS-232 data and should never be directly mixed with other types of connectors or signals, some RS-232 computer ports use plus and minus 12 volts DC to communicate data, this will fry a USB port on a computer/laptop or a LAN port on a router, you must use a USB to RS-232 interface device, or an RS-232 to LAN dongle device to keep from FUBAR'ing something big time.

melvin5454
01-13-2013, 07:03 PM
tring to fix boot problem on my receaver its a jynxbox ultra hd what cable do i use for that

bkr™
01-13-2013, 10:40 PM
tring to fix boot problem on my receaver its a jynxbox ultra hd what cable do i use for that

You will need straight thru cable pin 2 to pin 2, pin 3 to pin 3, read here for instructions;
http://phoenix.satfix.net/showthread.php?124736-How-To-Fix-Bootloop-Problem

melvin5454
01-14-2013, 04:47 AM
you say bootloop when it goes boot to on to start rite but my box goes boot to on boot on boot on what do that mean is the box fixable or not

librado
04-30-2013, 02:01 AM
you say bootloop when it goes boot to on to start rite but my box goes boot to on boot on boot on what do that mean is the box fixable or not

Hi I don't know if you already fixed youre receiver but if not do this load the factory file v8 by loader with a straigth DB( cable after that hook up youre receiver and load the factory bin again with the usb but do not select firmware mode, select ALL FLASH this will leave youre receiver like new, hope this is helpfull.