PDA

View Full Version : What An Anton Pillar Order Contains

Gunsmoke2 - GS2
02-10-2013, 06:53 AM
This a copy of an Anton Pillar Order ( from Canada ) from a previous Sat case. I was discussing it on another thread and said I would post one.

GS2

dishuser
02-10-2013, 07:11 AM
if memory serves me right they didn't get his database
he was the first to go to jail for contempt

Gunsmoke2 - GS2
02-10-2013, 09:06 PM
if memory serves me right they didn't get his database
he was the first to go to jail for contempt

There was one and maybe two before. There was one from Montreal who was in contempt but have to look up if he went to jail or got a jail sentence but there was one from Ontario who was sentenced to jail - Wiliam Broudreau. He actually first got a 3 month sentence and then a 6 month sentence that was later overturned on appeal leaving the 3 months. He was quite the character who told the court he does not belief in the justice system and more. This guy really had big balls got to give him that.

We can only read the reasons for sentence as imposing a 3 month sentence for contempt and a further 6 month sentence for the permanent loss of evidence caused by the appellant. In our view there is no basis in law for the second sentence. However in light of the findings of the trial judge that the contempt was egregious and intentional (which are sustainable on this record) there is no basis to find that the 3 month sentence for contempt is unfit. We would therefore allow the appeal and strike the 6 month sentence imposed below. The result is that the 3 month sentence for contempt is sustained. In view of the result there shall be no costs in this court or for the sentencing hearing below.

GS2