PDA

View Full Version : Headers

Soah
01-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Hey guys.
So Turns out I am replacing the motor, Issue unknown how ever don't really care no more. My piston walls were kinda nasty looking so new it is.
Got a good deal.
$1,750 CAD with core.

But I have a new questions I was thinking of instead using my exhaust manifolds put on some nice headers. The dealer said he doesn't recommend that as I could lose horse power?

I though that putting on headers would be a HP increaser?
is this not always true?

TurboPirate
01-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Hey guys.
So Turns out I am replacing the motor, Issue unknown how ever don't really care no more. My piston walls were kinda nasty looking so new it is.
Got a good deal.
$1,750 CAD with core.

But I have a new questions I was thinking of instead using my exhaust manifolds put on some nice headers. The dealer said he doesn't recommend that as I could lose horse power?

I though that putting on headers would be a HP increaser?
is this not always true?

Headers increase HP when you you use hi compression pistons, if the factory pistons are less then 10:1 then don't use headers, if it is higher then 10:1 use shorty headers, anyway what engine you are talking about? what car and model and year?

Soah
01-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Its a 90 Chev K1500 350 - 5.7L TBI
Going to same stock motor 2 bolt main.

Soah
01-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Researched it on the inter web

pistons have a 10:8 compression ratio with 54.4cc head chamber volume.
Least that is what I am replacing.
The motor I am buying might not have the same piston's

Ill hold off on the headers for now and re research when I have the new motor and specs.

Thanks TurboPirate for clearing that up for me.

MonsterMinds™
01-27-2010, 12:17 AM
You will increase a little,But if you are in Ontario or Quebec it might be a little hard to pass emmisions.

I have a 385 FB GM Crate motor with Headers and I find it a PITA it, you wil find that your Cab is a lot hotter with headers then Stock Manifolds.

Another thing going Headers Might aswell do the pipes!!!

Soah
01-27-2010, 02:57 AM
I have the pipes already done. I dueled them out the side of the truck just in front of the rear tires. Looks bad ass.

I am not to worried about emissions. The town I live in I passed inspection with out catalytic converters and I am pretty sure my tint is illegal lol.
Its more of a who you know kinda place. The cops are great here. They don't care about things like that specially since everyone knows everyone so tint isn't an issue.

I attached a picture of the trunk. Give ya an idea of what I am working with.
(Yeah I know the rims are nasty, I am working on that.)

PITA
lol I have a friend at work we nick named that. :D

You will increase a little,But if you are in Ontario or Quebec it might be a little hard to pass emmisions.

I have a 385 FB GM Crate motor with Headers and I find it a PITA it, you wil find that your Cab is a lot hotter with headers then Stock Manifolds.

Another thing going Headers Might aswell do the pipes!!!

MonsterMinds™
01-27-2010, 03:35 AM
This is my toy 93 Z71 updated to a 97 Tuned Port Fuel Injection 385 fast Burn GM crate Motor, Holly High Rise Intake and Engin Management System

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8049/img4309h.jpg

Soah
01-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Nice man,
I got my 350 crate in today.
Talked to the guy I bought it from and he suggested to put an Intake Man and TBI off a 7.4 454 big block on it.
Said it will fit right on. Also with a spacer under the TBI it should increase a good bit of HP with the Headers.

So I guess that is my plan.

I ended up comparing my new motor with my old. I think the timing chain was the original problem cause man on the old motor it was flapping all over the place lol.
Oh well, good news though is there was a lot of mettle in the motor oil after I took the oil pan off, as well as 6 piston wings from 5 different piston's.
I am pretty sure replacing the motor was a good idea.

MonsterMinds™
01-31-2010, 02:03 AM
Good luck..

I have to get mine started, It doesn't like cold temps and doesn't have a block heater Looks like its back to the Shop on Monday

TurboPirate
01-31-2010, 07:52 AM
Nice man,
I got my 350 crate in today.
Talked to the guy I bought it from and he suggested to put an Intake Man and TBI off a 7.4 454 big block on it.
Said it will fit right on. Also with a spacer under the TBI it should increase a good bit of HP with the Headers.

So I guess that is my plan.

I ended up comparing my new motor with my old. I think the timing chain was the original problem cause man on the old motor it was flapping all over the place lol.
Oh well, good news though is there was a lot of mettle in the motor oil after I took the oil pan off, as well as 6 piston wings from 5 different piston's.
I am pretty sure replacing the motor was a good idea.

Advice, if you made the pipes double from each manifold independent, I suggest you connect them so the gasses mixes it is sold as an X Pipe or H pipe, this equalize the exhaust 20% more HP. I have tested it and it does it job, check summit racing so you get the idea and any local shop can do it.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=X%20pipe&dds=1
Also search H Pipe both do the Job.

Soah
01-31-2010, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=TurboPirate;53020]Advice, if you made the pipes double from each manifold independent, I suggest you connect them so the gasses mixes it is sold as an X Pipe or H pipe, this equalize the exhaust 20% more HP. I have tested it and it does it job, check summit racing so you get the idea and any local shop can do it.

Sweet man,
I can make that happen no problem. I have to work on the exhaust for the headers anyway so Ill fab up an X pip to go with it.
Thx for the advice.

TurboPirate
01-31-2010, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=TurboPirate;53020]Advice, if you made the pipes double from each manifold independent, I suggest you connect them so the gasses mixes it is sold as an X Pipe or H pipe, this equalize the exhaust 20% more HP. I have tested it and it does it job, check summit racing so you get the idea and any local shop can do it.

Sweet man,
I can make that happen no problem. I have to work on the exhaust for the headers anyway so Ill fab up an X pip to go with it.
Thx for the advice.

No thanks needed bud, if I know it, I'll share it. If that truck is not for daily driving and it is for some kind of racing, a cam shaft will help BIG time, if it is TBI a 1 inch spacer can help like the guy told ya, chip for the computer is a well spend $ JET brand convince me better then the other brand, or the JET module, this is a cheap up grade, big time for big guys is a HOLLEY comander 950 connects to existing wire hardness, this has many kits, the one I loved was to make it MPFI using the TBI as a throttle body and the 2 injectors are removed, the kit brings an intake manifold with 8 injectors and the hard ware to convert the TBI into just a throttle, fuel rails etc. same place summit racing, search Holley commander 950, you'll see all the kits.

TurboPirate
01-31-2010, 11:00 PM
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JET-15024/
This is one of the cheap one not the holley commander

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JET-62100/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JET-90002/
This last one was the first I tested on a 3.1L 1990 grand prix, and I felt the power right away

TurboPirate
01-31-2010, 11:16 PM
OK, listen, the 2nd I tested and I knew this was better then the first chip I tested looks like this one but the one in this link is for FORD, search it when you get time, but it looks like this one, the plug that goes to the computer is removed, in that empty computer side is where this chip goes then the plug you removed connects to the chip also, so in small words the chip is in between that connection.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JET-90024S/
I try this with caprice rear wheel drive with a 4.3 V6 engine and after this installation that thing came to life, wheels were always spinning what I call burning rubber shift where fairly firm.
This is all for today, don't make me remember good old days when this hobby was my life, lmao