PDA

View Full Version : sonicview

dishuser
03-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Tan Nguyen is found guilty

A federal judge in Orange County has granted summary judgment to Dish Network and imposed a massive fine on a Little Saigon man who operated a satellite piracy business.

U.S. District Court Judge James V. Selna ruled this week that Tan Nguyen, the owner of several websites including ftafoall.net and ftaforall.biz, knowingly distributed 36 software files that allowed people to circumvent Dish Network's security and decryption systems.

Nguyen, who failed to show up at the hearing, had maintained in interviews with OC Weekly that he was innocent, had no knowledge of piracy operations and was "a little guy" being picked on by a corporate giant.

But concluding that Nguyen's conduct violated the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and the Federal Communications Act a whopping 31,883 times, Selna imposed the statutory minimum fine of $200 per violation, or $6,376,600.

The judge is also issuing a permanent injunction against the Westminster man for ever again attempting to violate Dish Network's security systems.

Nguyen's websites were originally registered out of the same Hanoi building that houses the Communist Party of Vietnam, but he denied any connection with Vietnamese government officials.

Records show that Nguyen received more than $160,000 in Google ad revenue from his websites.

Claiming their client had been robbed of entitled broadcasting fees by piracy, lawyers for Dish Network filed their federal lawsuit against Nguyen in early 2012.

Anubis
03-06-2013, 12:54 AM
7 million dollar hit isn't something to laugh at that's for sure.

dishuser
03-06-2013, 01:02 AM
7 million dollar hit isn't something to laugh at that's for sure.pretty small compared to viewsat

Anubis
03-06-2013, 01:25 AM
No kidding. Now that was a good chunk for Fort Knox.

Gunsmoke2 - GS2
03-06-2013, 08:12 PM
pretty small compared to viewsat

What does Tan Nguyen have to do with Sonicview. Was his site a Sonicview site ?

GS2

Gunsmoke2 - GS2
03-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Tan Nguyen is found guilty

A federal judge in Orange County has granted summary judgment to Dish Network and imposed a massive fine on a Little Saigon man who operated a satellite piracy business.

U.S. District Court Judge James V. Selna ruled this week that Tan Nguyen, the owner of several websites including ftafoall.net and ftaforall.biz, knowingly distributed 36 software files that allowed people to circumvent Dish Network's security and decryption systems.

Nguyen, who failed to show up at the hearing, had maintained in interviews with OC Weekly that he was innocent, had no knowledge of piracy operations and was "a little guy" being picked on by a corporate giant.

But concluding that Nguyen's conduct violated the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and the Federal Communications Act a whopping 31,883 times, Selna imposed the statutory minimum fine of $200 per violation, or $6,376,600.

The judge is also issuing a permanent injunction against the Westminster man for ever again attempting to violate Dish Network's security systems.

Nguyen's websites were originally registered out of the same Hanoi building that houses the Communist Party of Vietnam, but he denied any connection with Vietnamese government officials.

Records show that Nguyen received more than $160,000 in Google ad revenue from his websites.

Claiming their client had been robbed of entitled broadcasting fees by piracy, lawyers for Dish Network filed their federal lawsuit against Nguyen in early 2012.

Was his site hosted in Vietnam ? they say it was registered there and not sure if that includes being hosted there also. If so another example not being off shore will not protect you if you the owner resides in North America.

GS2

fifties
03-06-2013, 09:26 PM
The $6,376,600 figure is for publicity; DN knows they'll never get that. The actual settlement amount will be much less, but definitely a hit to his finances, and of course will be kept secret.

henpecked
03-06-2013, 09:42 PM
If he's got connections to an Asian country, I don't think he'll be hanging around to pay anything
He'll go hide in the Jungle

Gunsmoke2 - GS2
03-07-2013, 04:30 AM
If he's got connections to an Asian country, I don't think he'll be hanging around to pay anything

He didn't show up for the hearing so he could have developed an escape plan weeks or months before.

GS2

dishuser
03-07-2013, 04:36 AM
He didn't show up for the hearing so he could have developed an escape plan weeks or months before.

GS2
you need a better memory...lol
look in the ftaforall thread

Gunsmoke2 - GS2
03-07-2013, 07:03 PM
you need a better memory...lol
look in the ftaforall thread

Would there be something in that thread that would reveal when he developed an escape plan if he did in case he received a large judgment against himself down the road. ? I would not think he would share that with others.

GS2

1boxman
03-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Well the site is finely down .. guess that means no more support for sonic ..:bawl:

fifties
03-08-2013, 08:56 AM
I haven't been to ftaforall since the stand-alone days, lol. Had no idea it was still up and running until apparently recently.

kyzursozay
03-08-2013, 12:41 PM
speaking of escape plan wasn't mr.sv supposedly in near fatal car crash right before site went down ....lol

1boxman
03-08-2013, 03:28 PM
I haven't been to ftaforall since the stand-alone days, lol. Had no idea it was still up and running until apparently recently.

No they where taken long ago ..I was referring to sonicview receiver web page

Le_Gnome
03-08-2013, 06:39 PM
speaking of escape plan wasn't mr.sv supposedly in near fatal car crash right before site went down ....lol
That has nothing to do with the person in post one, different person.

Le_Gnome
03-08-2013, 07:20 PM
1boxman The SV distributors/sales web site is still up as sonicviewusa, just there isn't any products to sell here.

1boxman
03-08-2013, 08:40 PM
1boxman The SV distributors/sales web site is still up as sonicviewusa, just there isn't any products to sell here.

OK ...I was there yesterday and was out ..mm..maybe me ..thx

skywalker999
03-09-2013, 03:33 PM
and why not i would, then build nice tree house but the only draw back would be no sattv or cable hum bummer