PDA

View Full Version : What type of coax to run 175ft?

edlkll
04-06-2013, 04:39 PM
I have two receivers hooked up and I am running coax cable to where I relocated a couple of
satellite dishes. I am going bury the cable in the ground. Is rg6 okay or should rg11 be used?
Iam running a limesat hd air receiver and from what I have read its a hog for signal quailty through
coax cable. The total run I need is about 175 ft. Someones answers or input would be apprecated.
Thanks edlkll

StanW
04-06-2013, 04:41 PM
For a 175' run you will have to use rg11 . Going to cost you tho.

Terryl
04-06-2013, 04:58 PM
I agree with Stan, RG-11 for that long a run, I also would not direct bury it, I would at least put it in the grey PVC conduit.(easiest way)

For a direct burial I would use LMR-400-75, but that costs a ton of green stamps.

I put mine in the EMT (metal) conduit with the water tight compression fittings, this provides the best protection and keeps the under ground critters from eating through the coax to sharpen their teeth, It also provides some more shielding to the coax. (hardest way, but works the best)

You can get pre-bent conduit fittings to do this job, also a liberal application of plumbers pipe dope on the compression fittings will keep them water tight for years to come.

A shop vac can be used to suck a pull string through the conduit when done, use the masons twine as it has the strength to pull the coax or pull rope through to the other end, you can pre-pull the coax through but that can get messy.

And in acidic soil I use the spray on car under coating to coat the EMT, this keeps it from rusting underground, you can also get the gas pipe wrapping tape.

If you have to go under a drive way then rigid conduit should be used, this is the best protection and will last and last, it also goes together like water pipe, just use pipe dope to seal it up.

All this may seem to be a lot of work, but after a few years you may need to fix that coax after someone drives a stake into it, or puts a garden shovel through it, or those pesky gofers finally chew through it.

StanW
04-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Excellent advice as usual :thumbsup:

A question on the side altho I think I know the answer already - If we use this 175' installation as an example would it be possible to mix rg6 and rg11 on the same run ( lets say 100' rg11 and 75' rg6) as a cost saving measure ?

fn59
04-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Excellent advice as usual :thumbsup:

A question on the side altho I think I know the answer already - If we use this 175' installation as an example would it be possible to mix rg6 and rg11 on the same run ( lets say 100' rg11 and 75' rg6) as a cost saving measure ?

Wouldn't be a good idea to have a joint underground, inaccessible.

Terryl
04-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Wouldn't be a good idea to have a joint underground, inaccessible.

Just add 2 more 90 degree bends and a junction box, or an in-ground junction box, I have done this, also added a powered DPP44 switch at the midpoint, (used a big junction box) a quick fix for a long run, ran 3 pieces of RG-11 240 feet from the dish to the switch, then 4 pieces of RG-6 quad 100 feet to the house, worked fine.

For really long runs we used fiber optic cable with LNB to receiver interfaces, but that gets real expensive and is only good for one LNB, (2 or more fiber cables would be needed for more then one LNB) you also need AC or DC power at the dish site, but this can be run for miles.(depends on the pocket book)

A standard junction box can be used but you should put it in one of these hummers.

https://www.platt.com/platt-electric-supply/HDPE-High-Density-Polyethylene-Type-Pull-Boxes-Round/Oldcastle-Precast/910-10-4BE/product.aspx?zpid=512934