PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding OEM IRDs

linguica101
04-12-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm considering purchasing an oem ird (vip 211 or vip 722), but I'm confused on how it is setup. I'm planning to use this in my bedroom, but I've been told that it needs to be connected to a nearby computer. Does it need to be connected to the PC at all times (24/7)? Is this my only option? I was hoping that it would be sorta plug and play. Connect receiver to my router via ethernet cable, input my p$ information, scan channels and enjoy tv

If anyone could please provide me with either some insight or a link to where I can read some more information would be great.

Thanks

rev0
04-13-2013, 07:30 PM
The way you describe as looking for a "sorta plug and play" solution means you probably should stick with FTA. OEM IRDs can be tested but it requires knowledge of tiers, cam images, and a private rq program. To fill you in the IRD needs to be shipped off and modded with a private keyset, or purchased that way. Also Charlie certainly has been trying to cause grief for these people. Such as newer firmware which locks up on non-working channels, so get a locked older FW if you do.

Yes, it requires a computer at all times (atleast that you are watching tv). Or a modified router if applicable. To reiterate if you are looking for a challenge and want to learn more by all means go for OEM. They may cost extra but for the guide, HD picture quality, and user experience it hands down beats any FTA. If you are lazy and just want TV, go with FTA.

linguica101
04-15-2013, 04:17 PM
The way you describe as looking for a "sorta plug and play" solution means you probably should stick with FTA. OEM IRDs can be tested but it requires knowledge of tiers, cam images, and a private rq program. To fill you in the IRD needs to be shipped off and modded with a private keyset, or purchased that way. Also Charlie certainly has been trying to cause grief for these people. Such as newer firmware which locks up on non-working channels, so get a locked older FW if you do.

Yes, it requires a computer at all times (atleast that you are watching tv). Or a modified router if applicable. To reiterate if you are looking for a challenge and want to learn more by all means go for OEM. They may cost extra but for the guide, HD picture quality, and user experience it hands down beats any FTA. If you are lazy and just want TV, go with FTA.

Thanks for the valuable information. I was planning on purchasing one already modded for fta, so that wasn't a concern. (although i'm not sure if the FW was locked or not...so that brings up another hurdle). The biggest thing for me was determining how it receives the CW from my P$, so it sounds like I need a computer connected at all times, or a modified router. I'm not afraid of the challenge (I actually built a PC for my living room which has 2 skywalker tuners, so I think I'm for it). But I'm curious as to how the modified router would work, since I don't have a nearby computer (and if I was going to have a computer in the bedroom, which is where this receiver is going, I would just build another one with a skywalker tuner). Is there any info on what is needed to modify the router?

And maybe you're right, maybe I'm better off sticking with FTA receivers, since I do want something fairly simply and plug and play. So with that in mind, which receivers provide the best overall experience (HD picture quality, good to excellent guide and ease of use). I've looked at the dreamlink hd before, but i wasn't crazy about some of the reviews. So any input would be helpful.

18dd2
04-15-2013, 04:41 PM
I for one, would sure like to see more discussion on D* receivers and what will work with them. I'm tired of buying these over priced newer Asian junk FTA boxes that everyone is having problems with. You could pretty well buy one of the D* for the cost of one of the FTA boxes.

LS HD Air V2

dishuser
04-15-2013, 04:52 PM
I for one, would sure like to see more discussion on D* receivers and what will work with them. I'm tired of buying these over priced newer Asian junk FTA boxes that everyone is having problems with. You could pretty well buy one of the D* for the cost of one of the FTA boxes.

LS HD Air V2no way you'll get a modded hd ird for as cheap as an fta stb

linguica101
04-15-2013, 07:45 PM

LS HD Air V2

I couldn't agree with you more!

linguica101
04-15-2013, 07:46 PM
no way you'll get a modded hd ird for as cheap as an fta stb

im not sure thats entirely true.
a modded vip 211 can go for $250 which is right in line with a dreamlink hd

dishuser
04-15-2013, 07:58 PM
im not sure thats entirely true.
a modded vip 211 can go for $250 which is right in line with a dreamlink hd
plus pc or modded router = what? LOL
Plus you would need 2 to get both providers

linguica101
04-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Ok, you make a valid point. But most people already have a computer, so I don't see the extra cost there. As for the router option, (I'm actually mostly interested in learning more about this, since I think it would be the best option for my particular circumstance) again, most people who have internet also have a router.

Finally, I'm only interested in charlie, so don't have a particular need to watch bev. I only have 1 dish with 3 lnbs, so I wouldn't be able to pick up bev if i wanted to without incurring more costs in the way of another dish and/or more lnbs.

linguica101
04-15-2013, 08:05 PM
With that said, does anyone know where I can learn more about the modified router? The computer thing isn't practical for my use, but I do have an extra router, so that would be more interesting for me.

dishuser
04-15-2013, 08:10 PM
it was posted before how to setup a modded router with rq...not sure if it got removed

StanW
04-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Would be here (if not removed of course) General Utility Discussions (http://www.satfix.net/forumdisplay.php?232-General-Utility-Discussions)

18dd2
04-15-2013, 10:22 PM
no way you'll get a modded hd ird for as cheap as an fta stb

Maybe not modded BUT I've been around since 4DTV and BUD days and given directions I may be able to mod it myself. I still have my 510 bin # My LS HD Air cost me about $300 and it is far, far from my 1st FTA box.

18dd2
04-15-2013, 10:24 PM

Seems to me most people that have been in this hobby for awhile and know how to log onto Satfix already have a PC and a router.

dishuser
04-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Maybe not modded BUT I've been around since 4DTV and BUD days and given directions I may be able to mod it myself. I still have my 510 bin # My LS HD Air cost me about $300 and it is far, far from my 1st FTA box.not an hd box is it?
I thru 6 of those out last year minus the drives...lol

dishuser
04-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Seems to me most people that have been in this hobby for awhile and know how to log onto Satfix already have a PC and a router.

is pc close to tv?
if not then no good
is router modded?
if not no good
and not all routers can be modded

18dd2
04-15-2013, 10:38 PM
not an hd box is it?
I thru 6 of those out last year minus the drives...lol

4DTV was about 20 years ago and I don't believe there was a whole lot of HD at that ime LOL :)

But the D* box as mentioned itself, isn't going to be too far aways in price for what some of this Asian junk out there costs. So easy to check. eBay or Am*azon

rev0
04-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Everybody these days doesn't expect to get out a soldering iron and do some real testing. Most routers are supported if they have a internal serial port and can flash OpenWRT to them, most common is the WRT54G line. I can post pin-outs if anyone needs them, but its literally just 3 wires to an Atmega128. Also commercial firmware FireWRT exists to help out and make it easier. I've heard people talk about getting a complete pre-modded router/avr/box but they are very rare to come by unless you have a community which does it.

dishuser
04-15-2013, 11:06 PM
4DTV was about 20 years ago and I don't believe there was a whole lot of HD at that ime LOL :)

But the D* box as mentioned itself, isn't going to be too far aways in price for what some of this Asian junk out there costs. So easy to check. eBay or Am*azon

modded ird on ebay?
they don't pull those ads anymore?

dishuser
04-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Everybody these days doesn't expect to get out a soldering iron and do some real testing. Most routers are supported if they have a internal serial port and can flash OpenWRT to them, most common is the WRT54G line. I can post pin-outs if anyone needs them, but its literally just 3 wires to an Atmega128. Also commercial firmware FireWRT exists to help out and make it easier. I've heard people talk about getting a complete pre-modded router/avr/box but they are very rare to come by unless you have a community which does it.
have seen many asus modded to work with atmega
lan 4 port goes to atmega which has an adapter

linguica101
04-15-2013, 11:47 PM
Maybe I'm getting information overload, but I'm starting to rethink this whole thing. I thought a modified router was simply flashing a dd-wrt or tomato router with some special firmware and you're all done!

I guess getting an FTA receiver is my best course of action.
So where can I purchase, don't see any links or advertisers. And whats the best HD receiver, with good picture quality, good guide and easy to use.

dishuser
04-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Maybe I'm getting information overload, but I'm starting to rethink this whole thing. I thought a modified router was simply flashing a dd-wrt or tomato router with some special firmware and you're all done!

I guess getting an FTA receiver is my best course of action.
So where can I purchase, don't see any links or advertisers. And whats the best HD receiver, with good picture quality, good guide and easy to use.
you flash open wrt
you also need to mod the inside so that it communicates with a cable to avr/atmega

tpboles22
05-03-2013, 03:20 PM

If you still have a 510, 501, etc. They all work fine with iks and the dvr part works much better than any iks receivers. The 722's run like crap since taking the 728/9 updates. I hear you can have the fw rolled back and locked and it fixes the issue with the 722.

I have had SV8000, JynxHD, and others. I wouldn't trade a good working 510 for any of those. The reason being is I pretty much only use DVR for watching tv and the dvr on fta's suck.

18dd2
05-03-2013, 04:02 PM
If you still have a 510, 501, etc. They all work fine with iks and the dvr part works much better than any iks receivers. The 722's run like crap since taking the 728/9 updates. I hear you can have the fw rolled back and locked and it fixes the issue with the 722.

I have. had SV8000, JynxHD, and others. I wouldn't trade a good working 510 for any of those. The reason being is I pretty much only use DVR for watching tv and the dvr on fta's suck.

I agree. I've had enough of these crappy FTA boxes and I've owned several of them of the last few years. They seem to be making them out of cheaper and cheaper parts and the price gets bigger with little to no support. The last FTA box I bought was the LS HD AIr and while it works, you have to have lap top fans for over heating, it shuts off itself from time to time, the front display went out already, crappy EPG, CC don't work e.t.c. and I just bought it last fall.

LS HD Air
CW 800
Sonicview 360 Elite
Nfusion Solaris
e.t.c. e.t.c.

sxyxman
09-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Can you clone a subbed 301 to another 301 (yes), [program an atmega128 card with the SC#/BK/IRD# from the subbed box, and have the atmega128 function in the cloned box as the subbed smartcard displaying subbed channels in the clear?] If so, what program/ files do i need to program the atmega? ... the ird has already been cloned to a second 301... i know this allows you to move the subscribed smartcard from ird to ird to receive programming but anyway around this using atmegas programmed as "the subbed smartcard?"

i like testing the OEM IRD's but also have a VS Ultra 2000 kicking around but am not really interested in getting that setup for iks/ private cardshare server and/or subbing to a p$ until i can buy either a jynxbox or dreamlink. just getting back into the swing of the game.

any help would be greatly appreciated, i have been searching the forums, and its been awhile since i've played with my testing toys.