PDA

View Full Version : Scott Jorgensen downplays Urijah Faber friendship ahead of TUF 17 Finale

ICEMAN
04-13-2013, 02:13 PM
LAS VEGAS – In a lot of ways, Scott Jorgensen doesn't really understand the hubbub over Saturday's fight with friend and former training partner Urijah Faber.
While amusing a group of reporters hellbent on discussing all aspects of The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale main event, the bantamweight contender wondered aloud if people realize how perfectly normal it is for him to tangle up with a buddy.

"I don't think everybody realizes we go in there and spar our friends every day, buddies we train with," he told MMAjunkie. "Guys get hurt, we cut each other, we knock each other out, and we submit each other."

The only difference, he said, is that his bout with Faber – which airs on FX (9 p.m. ET) from Las Vegas' Mandalay Bay Events Center – is a little more high-profile than the average training room. Still, it's just a fight.

"For me, it's no different really," he said. "I get another fight in front of millions of people, it's a main event, and it just happens to be against a friend."

Jorgensen (14-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and Faber (27-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC) crossed paths in college, where both were standout wrestlers. In fact, Jorgensen said Faber was one of the primary people encouraging him to give MMA a try. The former WEC title challenger said his son, 7-year-old Braeten, is a even big Faber fan.

But he's been in this situation before.

He said during his freshman year of college at Boise State University, he had to wrestle a teammate and ultimately won a starting spot from a reigning Pac-10 champion. In fact, he had to defeat that wrestler, eventual EliteXC and Bellator fighter Jesse Brock, three times during wrestle-offs.

Yet, Jorgensen still considers him his best friend, lived with him for two years, has gone into business with him, and they own a gym together.

"We had to wrestle three times ... yet he's the guy who taught me my work ethic," he said.

So with Faber, it's really nothing new. Fans may stress about the idea of one friend punching another, but for Jorgensen, it's another day at the office.

And besides, with both fighters in the top 6 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA bantamweight rankings, they need to worry more about career ramifications than friendship.

"It's a fight," he said. "We're both trying to make our money and further our career. I don't expect him to hold back punches or not throw elbows or things that could cut me or hurt me. I'm going in there like it's a fight, and I'm sure he is too."