PDA

View Full Version : tablet for my 4 year old

tbird686
04-16-2013, 12:02 AM
so i'm thinking of getting a table for my child.......anyone with info on what would have the best selection of educational apps?

i was thinking the ipad mini, but the girlfriend said it does not support flash if we needed it....i have an android smart phone she has the iphone 4s.....

i'm not in any rush i just want to know if its worth it or maybe we can share it lol

StanW
04-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Get a blackberry playbook . Great tablet , has flash , lots of apps and you won't find a cheaper one on the market . Comes in 16/32/64 gb . They are becoming hard to find .

tbird686
04-16-2013, 12:31 AM
but apps for kids?

hows the battery?

Just_angel
04-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Get a blackberry playbook . Great tablet , has flash , lots of apps and you won't find a cheaper one on the market . Comes in 16/32/64 gb . They are becoming hard to find .

got one for my little angel 32 gb....it wasn't easy to find, she loves it but these days she loving my new cellphone even better...LOL

tbird686
04-16-2013, 12:32 AM
oh i see a blackberry playbook 64 gig with a bluetooth key board and leather case....$200

Just_angel
04-16-2013, 12:35 AM
oh i see a blackberry playbook 64 gig with a bluetooth key board and leather case....$200

good deal !! but perhaps you might wanna get a more kid friendly tablet

StanW
04-16-2013, 12:35 AM
Battery life isn't the greatest , probably 5 -6 hours playing games . Has a hdmi port so you can play movies on your tv . You can see apps here :

http://ca.blackberry.com/playbook-tablet/apps.html

Just_angel
04-16-2013, 12:37 AM
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=13368359

tbird686
04-16-2013, 12:47 AM
the black berry is looking cool enough for me to have...lol the kurio kids tablet makes more since but the reviews are not too good on that link at toys r us..............you know there not teaching cursive anymore...well in canada they say.....so tablets must be the future......oh dear times are a changing....lol

StanW
04-16-2013, 12:48 AM
got one for my little angel 32 gb....it wasn't easy to find, she loves it but these days she loving my new cellphone even better...LOL
Wife gave me her 16g - year later I got a 32 for $120 . You can find a 64 for under $150 if you shop around .

I know ppl that have ipads and bb - all of them swear by the pb.

tbird686
04-16-2013, 12:56 AM
this is exciting.....nice to have this section .....and the funny ones......nice to talk about other things then the fta .....thank you so much for the info.....i'll run it by the boss....i'm too impulsive she will let me know if i'm aloud...lol

StanW
04-16-2013, 01:01 AM

So you'd pick the S3 over the iphone ?

tbird686
04-16-2013, 01:14 AM
whats the s3.........i have the htc incredible s.....getting close to my upgrade in my phone plan.....

StanW
04-16-2013, 01:26 AM
whats the s3.........i have the htc incredible s.....getting close to my upgrade in my phone plan.....
Samsung s3 - apparently it's the latest 'in' phone .

Just_angel
04-16-2013, 02:04 AM
So you'd pick the S3 over the iphone ?

sure would....

surfinisfun
04-16-2013, 02:20 AM
sure would....

Same here angel, actually at my age i may keep the s3 over sex if i had to choose.lol

Unless, you're offering. ;)

d1964
04-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Get her an ipad, way more free kid friendly apps and an app named puffin, allows most flash, if you jailbreak the device(not hard to do) you will never look back at Blackberry or android products, I had a playbook 16gb that I was able to sideload android apps but battery was poor when playing games with my three year old ipad I still get about 8-9 hours of solid play look into jailbreak ,cydia, vshare, and appcake will provide millions of free apps that you normally have to pay for.... I suggest the mini ipad with the 6.1.2.os still jailbreakable.................

tbird686
04-16-2013, 12:38 PM
i like free apps....but the blacky berry has a nice bluetooth key board and case.....can you do that set up for the ipad mini?

clarkie
04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
All so check out the Kindle fire or any of the kindle stuff lots of books you need ..just giving u a few more options..have all the Mac stuff..Mac Book , iphone , ipad retina display , mini..a great product but the price is high and the other devices are getting better and closer to apple quality

clarkie
04-16-2013, 12:42 PM
The Apple ipad has a built in keyboard so NO need to buy one.. but you can purchase one for around 50.00 its a Option not needed but its a option..IMO

StanW
04-16-2013, 12:53 PM
The Apple ipad has a built in keyboard so NO need to buy one.. but you can purchase one for around 50.00 its a Option not needed but its a option..IMO
Earth shattering - wonder when will other manufacturers incorporate something like that on their devices. lol

tbird686
04-16-2013, 12:59 PM
they all have the build in key board i thought?

oh dear....choices choices......i really want it for me any my daughter ......really thought it should be for her for the educational games. i'm not really looking for angry bird games.

she might when she is older but for now i'm trying to be that "good Parent"....let her rot her brain with the other content later in life...lol

they i can at least say i tried.

Just_angel
04-16-2013, 01:23 PM
they all have the build in key board i thought?

oh dear....choices choices......i really want it for me any my daughter ......really thought it should be for her for the educational games. i'm not really looking for angry bird games.

she might when she is older but for now i'm trying to be that "good Parent"....let her rot her brain with the other content later in life...lol

they i can at least say i tried.

on screen keyboard is what its called

check kijiji lots of good tablets on there

fonger
04-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Get her an ipad, way more free kid friendly apps and an app named puffin, allows most flash, if you jailbreak the device(not hard to do) you will never look back at Blackberry or android products, I had a playbook 16gb that I was able to sideload android apps but battery was poor when playing games with my three year old ipad I still get about 8-9 hours of solid play look into jailbreak ,cydia, vshare, and appcake will provide millions of free apps that you normally have to pay for.... I suggest the mini ipad with the 6.1.2.os still jailbreakable.................
excellent, i thought i was going to be the only person that will recommend any idevice.. yes, the ipad is the way to go for me and my family.

i like free apps....but the blacky berry has a nice bluetooth key board and case.....can you do that set up for the ipad mini?
there is a great bluetooth keyboard/case cover which is non-apple product.

there are so many apps out there for kids and my 4 year old just loves it.. google toca boca app.. heehee or go to:
http://tocaboca.com

StanW
04-16-2013, 03:20 PM
In a non too distant past apple was the cats a** - and the reputation was hard earned and well deserved. Currently ? just part of the rat race trying tpo make as much $$$ as possible - lying and missleading customers like the rest of the pack.

They ( the I ppl)are still riding on momentum - it is changing tho , ppl are starting to talk about them like they used to about microsoft. . Ipad ? good tablet , highly over rated and far from bug free , not to mention overpriced.

clarkie
04-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Earth shattering - wonder when will other manufacturers incorporate something like that on their devices. lol

I guess i dont know as much as some people here..

satchick
04-17-2013, 01:49 AM
I can't believe this thread has gone two pages without anyone asking...Why does a four year old need a tablet? Children under five should not have any, or very little "screen time". It is proven to be detrimental to development of many areas of the brain. I would recommend getting some good quality educational toys, games, and books that your child can touch, feel, play with, and experiment. Interactive video games are not at all the same as playing with a physical toy. There are lots of good puzzle toys and games out there that are intellectually stimulating and fun to play with. There's also this magical place called "outside" where you'll find green(!) space and these places called "playgrounds" where you can take your child to socialize with other children, and you with the other parents.

I don't care what app you have, an I-device is not going to provoke a child's sense of curiosity like a quality toy will. It's also detrimental to social development and forms habits that can lead to a sedentary lifestyle and obesity later in life. Behaviours learned at that age can form habits that are very hard to break later in life.

Good reading:

https://www.healthykidshealthyfuture.org/home/activities/screentimes.html

http://www.screenfree.org/screentimefs.pdf

Look around here:

http://www.amazon.com/kids-learning-education/b?ie=UTF8&node=166269011

tbird686
04-17-2013, 01:56 AM
well this kills you and that will kill you....what ever. i believe she would benefit from it if you don't like its ok. but thats not what i was asking in this post.

please start your own post.

i just was asking for information on what apps were there and other peoples experiences and preferences.

my daughter is starting kindergarten in September...my province is the one with money, i don't have much but the schools are really up to date.

i'm just trying to keep up with the times. they don't even teach cursive anymore...everything is going to computers.

whoknows
04-17-2013, 04:21 PM
A couple of my grandkids who were not in school as yet got nexus 7 for xmas and it is a great tool for not only games but learning how to spell and compose letters to name a couple of benefits. Some will tell you to buy games or books, not knowing that a tablet is all about games, books and many other things. And as parents we don't have to be told to have our kids out to playgrounds to socialize and of course time would be limited and used as a reward for use of the tablet.
As far as creating a sedentary lifestyle or obesity, that is all hogwash. If you are a good parent and give the child what he/she needs in life, then you have fulfilled yourself as a parent. Good luck

StanW
04-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Call me a softie but the way I look at it my 5 year old grand daughter can spend an hour or two playing on a tablet after her 16 hour stint at the Nike factory down the road (| after she's fed the pigs of course) ;)

fonger
04-17-2013, 06:56 PM
my 4 year old learned the alphabet from the ipad, then she learned how to write each one, and then she learned cursive for each letter.
she has learned math from it too.
now the school has implemented raz-kids.. (http://www.raz-kids.com/main/ViewPage/name/rocket_launch)
it's online reading.. which she already does.. i love the ipad.

Longster
04-17-2013, 10:35 PM
my 4 year old learned the alphabet from the ipad, then she learned how to write each one, and then she learned cursive for each letter.
she has learned math from it too.
now the school has implemented raz-kids..
http://www.raz-kids.com/main/ViewPage/name/rocket_launch
it's online reading.. which she already does.. i love the ipad.

my little girl turning 4 in May, she also learned the alphabet and math on her mom new ipad, I download all the free education apps I can find. She also has her own second laptop, the first one she spilled milk on it..lol, kids these day they are smarter then you think.

dishuser
04-17-2013, 11:56 PM
my little girl turning 4 in May, she also learned the alphabet and math on her mom new ipad, I download all the free education apps I can find. She also has her own second laptop, the first one she spilled milk on it..lol, kids these day they are smarter then you think.

does she know how to uncheck parse links so when she quotes she doesn't make a dead link live?:innocent:

Just_angel
04-18-2013, 12:05 AM
does she know how to uncheck parse links so when she quotes she doesn't make a dead link live?:innocent:

i fixed the live link....:liang:

Longster
04-18-2013, 12:32 AM

I don't think she know what a live link is, she still learning, she only 4 remember..?:innocent:

sorry I didn't realize after I quotes the dead link and post it become a live link. Thanks Angle for fixing it.

dishuser
04-18-2013, 12:34 AM
I don't think she know what a live link is, she still learning, she only 4 remember..?:innocent:

sorry I didn't realize after I quotes the dead link and post it become a live link. Thanks Angle for fixing it.angle?
as in kurt angle?lol

tbird686
04-18-2013, 03:01 AM
okay i got the blackberry play book..........it was cheap and i like how it looks like a laptop......ok so i'm trying to download things where the heck do i find the game when i down load it?

lol

dishuser
04-18-2013, 03:10 AM
okay i got the blackberry play book..........it was cheap and i like how it looks like a laptop......ok so i'm trying to download things where the heck do i find the game when i down load it?

lollook in downloads
or apps

tbird686
04-18-2013, 03:13 AM
oh i found it on the main page its was down further i had to swipe up lol...

dishuser
04-18-2013, 03:24 AM
oh i found it on the main page its was down further i had to swipe up lol...
turn it sideways and swipe to the right...lol

tbird686
04-18-2013, 03:31 AM
right now i'm trying to get adobe to work for me.......there is a pdf file i can view but on my computer i can type on it.....cant type on the document on the pb

dishuser
04-18-2013, 03:43 AM
right now i'm trying to get adobe to work for me.......there is a pdf file i can view but on my computer i can type on it.....cant type on the document on the pb

if same pdf then you'll need addon or upgrade

tbird686
04-18-2013, 03:46 AM
i'm looking.....

dishuser
04-18-2013, 03:50 AM
i'm looking.....

google pdf
you'll find lots of free apps

StanW
04-18-2013, 04:15 AM
Go into blackberry world on your pb and search for 'pdf'.

d1964
04-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Learn how to side load android apps google program ddpb and also google apk to bar files they are already converted to the right format and with ddpb you can upload them to your playbook enjoy........

StanW
04-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Learn how to side load android apps google program ddpb and also google apk to bar files they are already converted to the right format and with ddpb you can upload them to your playbook enjoy........
Easier to sideload via your browser - look for Playbook App Manager extension/plugin available for most browsers.

tbird686
04-19-2013, 01:41 AM
this will be fun i just side loaded qpfd notes......nice.....

StanW
04-19-2013, 01:53 AM
So I gather the 4 year old has a fat chance of getting his/her hands on the playbook :innocent:

tbird686
04-19-2013, 02:06 AM
well the girlfriend put a game on and i had to fight to take it away from her.......my turn my turn....lol

i'm just looking for education games now......it can be exhausting......but i'm still trying

tbird686
04-19-2013, 02:14 AM
where do you find you free apk or bar.....games......i found 4shared. but not a lot on there helps if you know what your looking for i guess

StanW
04-19-2013, 02:28 AM
You've been to crackberry - do some reading there.

tbird686
04-19-2013, 02:31 AM
i have been........i was just asking to save some time..........typical fta answer find it your self. read read read.

i have found a few things