PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Viewsat 2000

SpaceCowboy
05-25-2013, 04:06 AM
I did the setup on Extreme 2000 as I was instructed
I have an open window it says connected ....Client READY!---waiting for requests!!!!
No rolling numbers and of course no picture....HELP!!!!!

Shark1959
05-25-2013, 07:01 AM
You need to use the KICKSTART file that's bundled in the xx-client to get the ball rolling if it was never used with the WF.

Cheers :)

Shark1959

SpaceCowboy
05-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Where do I find this KICKSTART in sss files?
I've just checked the whole page but can't see any kickstart file...I am sure that it is some where there ..do I have to put some figures..if so what??
Tnx

Shark1959
05-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Where do I find this KICKSTART in sss files?
I've just checked the whole page but can't see any kickstart file...I am sure that it is some where there ..do I have to put some figures..if so what??
Tnx

Hi Cowboy:

First I should clarify if you are using the XX-Client for Windows in the link below or a earlier version of it. I'm guessing maybe your not, as when you open the file after unzipping it, its right there, you can't miss it. I'm using this client with my VS 9000 and its working fabulously. I'm going to try it with my VS Ultra and my CNX's as well when I get a chance. This latest version is very simple to setup and configure. If you need any help your more than welcome to PM me.

http://www.satfix.net/showthread.php?132889-XX-Client_2-4-162-982&highlight=xx+client

Shark1959

Angel Eyes
05-25-2013, 05:51 PM
I did the setup on Extreme 2000 as I was instructed
I have an open window it says connected ....Client READY!---waiting for requests!!!!
No rolling numbers and of course no picture....HELP!!!!!

did you use you P$ info?..or?

SpaceCowboy
05-25-2013, 11:20 PM
I used the P$ info.
after the 4 I hit the right arrow cursor came down...and exit and save....Now I have a screen saying client ready waiting for requests...nothing is happening! Now I have to find KICKSTART file...and I have no idea where it would be....Shark said it was bundeled in xx-client ...Guys I appreciate all the HELP...you all are great. Thanks.

Shark1959
05-26-2013, 06:35 AM
I used the P$ info.
after the 4 I hit the right arrow cursor came down...and exit and save....Now I have a screen saying client ready waiting for requests...nothing is happening! Now I have to find KICKSTART file...and I have no idea where it would be....Shark said it was bundeled in xx-client ...Guys I appreciate all the HELP...you all are great. Thanks.

Are you using the XX Client Iisted in my last post to you? If you are then you can NOT MISS the KiCK START amongst all the others that are listed within the folder after unzipping it

Cheers ;)

Shark1959

SpaceCowboy
05-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Tnx. Sharky...I got it...
Here is what I see.....XX-Client Release v2.4.162 Buiold: 982 by GooFather

[-CLI-] Waiting for requests.

Too many requests are showing up...but no rolling numbers or Pictrure...:no:

Shark1959
05-26-2013, 04:44 PM

Too many requests are showing up...but no rolling numbers or Pictrure...:no:

Ok so you are using the correct client and it sounds as though you found the Kickstart. Next I would have to ask if you configured both the server and the XX-Client correctly because, something obviously is not right. Of the seven items in the folder for the client, with Caid being the first one, you need to make adjustments to Servers the 5th and the XX-Clint being the last one.

One thing to note and very important when inputting the info for the server, is that you remove the number sign # at the beginning of the line, otherwise it won't work.

Cheers

Shark1959

Shark1959
05-26-2013, 04:51 PM

Too many requests are showing up...but no rolling numbers or Picture...:no:

I just wanted to ask that you are using a NULL MODEM serial cable to connect your VS to the PC?

Shark1959

SpaceCowboy
05-27-2013, 12:39 AM
NULL MODEM.....
So besides the buttom line of the form...which contains the line where you put the P$ info...I have to fill out some other lines???
Is that what you tell me?? If so..My Dear Fellow, this Old Man willl be very confused....:noidea: But I do not give up easly, so I am going to try....Thanks for the great HELP...Sharky.........DISHUSER must be rolling his eyes...:innocent:

Angel Eyes
05-27-2013, 01:40 PM
serial_port=COM1
serial_speed=19200
server_timeout=10
server_retries=1
receiver_protocol=1
ignore_caid=0
background_execution=0

Shark1959
05-27-2013, 04:17 PM
:noidea:
NULL MODEM....

Null Modem cables look like straight serial cables and the only way you can tell the difference by looking is most Null Modem cables are marked with "NM" or "Null Modem". If your cable is not marked, the only way you can tell them apart is with a multi-meter or continuity tester. With a straight thru serial cable, pin 2 should lead to pin 2 and pin 3 should lead to pin 3.

A null modem cable pin 2 should lead to pin 3 and pin 3 should lead to pin 2.

Here's a video you can watch that helps explain it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kznw12Xd_Yk Just cut and paste the link above into your browser and give it a watch.

So besides the bottom line of the form...which contains the line where you put the P$ info...I have to fill out some other lines??? Is that what you tell me?? If so..My Dear Fellow, this Old Man will be very confused....:no idea: But I do not give up easily, so I am going to try....Thanks for the great HELP...Sharky.........DISHUSER must be rolling his eyes...:innocent:

In addition to the file that has your P$ info which is labeled (Servers.ini) and remember again to remove the # sign in front of your info, you also need to make sure the info supplied by ANGEL is correct in the XX-Client.ini file, this being the last file in the XX=Client folder.

As you can see in the XX-Client.ini file there are many lines of text that have a number # sign in front of the text. Below that is the command for that step you want the computer to perform without the number # sign.

The number # sign is placed in front of lines of text as a comment, so there will be NO action taken by the computer. You will note that there are lines in the XX-Client.ini file without a number sign, you need to make sure, as Angel pointed out that this info is reading correctly, if not make the changes to these lines as was noted. Once it is, SAVE this info by selecting FILE and then SAVE.

Hope this makes sense, trying to make it as simple as I can.

P.S. I'm used to dealing with the old folks, as my dad is 85 and I have him up and running, though I must say I did the set up for him. I do get him to make changes when needed and honestly there can be some trying moments at times. Good thing I have very good patience. LOL.

Shark1959

SpaceCowboy
05-28-2013, 12:09 AM
First Thank you both..
Yes Angel I have the same thing...as you posted...
Sharky...number signs are removed....
Here is what I see NOW...

"start with xx-client"
waiting for requests.......

"waiting for which request...this is the part that I can not understand. If logging is successful, why don't I see the numbers?"

If I want to start with kickstart it says unable to connect COM1...

PS: It says NM on the cable head...

PremiereElite
05-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Have you already setup your sats and scanned channels in?

SpaceCowboy
05-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Yes Sir..
every thing is ready to go...I have all the channels...Channel guide is perfect showing every channel
I have the CNN 200, signal 85 Quality 87....on the buttom it says No Video or Audio....only time screen comes alive when I switch to Channel 101...then I have video and audio..

PremiereElite
05-28-2013, 12:29 AM
what kind of cable are u using

Shark1959
05-28-2013, 12:33 AM
what kind of cable are u using

In his P.S. he says the cable has NM stamped on it which is the Null Modem so he has the correct cable. Not sure why he's not getting a connection to COM 1 though.

Shark1959

PremiereElite
05-28-2013, 12:45 AM
I know but there are different types of null cable

SpaceCowboy
05-28-2013, 12:46 AM
The cable is NM cable..I have used this cable in old days for viewsat files...
not being able to connect to COM1 must be the main problem...but my computer uses the same COM1 port for other receivers to load other files...for every thing else...May be I should reload all the files in to Viewsat again....!!!

Shark1959
05-28-2013, 12:47 AM
If I want to start with kickstart it says unable to connect COM1...

Try this it might help: You can force the COM1 by opening your Control Panel / Device Manager/ Ports / Properties / Port Settings / Advanced and selecting COM1 from the roll down menu found at the bottom - Save and close.

Shark1959

Shark1959
05-28-2013, 12:50 AM
May be I should reload all the files in to Viewsat again....!!!

Should only need the one file here:

http://www.satfix.net/showthread.php?120813-VIEWSAT-EXTREME-DBPSW-SSSP-071031x-pgm-rar

SpaceCowboy
05-28-2013, 01:09 AM
Tnx. Sharky
I forced the COM1 but when I kickstart now it says successfully connected
Waiting for requests...another word COM1 is working but for some unknown rerason kickstart is waiting for requests....

Same with the xx-client

Shark1959
05-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Tnx. Sharky
I forced the COM1 but when I kickstart now it says successfully connected
Waiting for requests...another word COM1 is working but for some unknown rerason kickstart is waiting for requests....

Same with the xx-client

Did you reload the file to the VS that I posted?

Cheers

Shark1959

SpaceCowboy
05-28-2013, 01:23 AM
I am doing it right now....tnx

SpaceCowboy
05-28-2013, 01:49 AM
I guess I have to give up....it still says waiting for requests...

On the TV screen on the buttom it says autoroll Proccesing...before it said no video or audio,,,

Angel Eyes
05-28-2013, 02:17 AM

On the TV screen on the buttom it says autoroll Proccesing...before it said no video or audio,,,

turn it off ..no need to use that

Angel Eyes
05-28-2013, 02:18 AM

make sure you p$ is up ..some r down now

Shark1959
05-28-2013, 06:08 AM

Hey Cowboy:

Turn off the auto roll as mentioned by Angel

How did you load the file to the receier, by USB or your NULL cable?

If you used the USB method, it could possibly be that your Null cable is faulty.

Did you verify the file loaded under INFO on the receiver?

I grabbed an old VS Ultra off the shelf to test it and it worked fine with this same XX-client

You must be very close now.

Shark1959

Shark1959
05-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Hi Space Cowboy:

A slow day here at work, so after doing some more reading, as well as rereading your thread, I’ve come to the conclusion you are working with two different programs. Some of the things you were mentioning in your earlier posts just didn’t sound right to me, with regards to the xx-client, which lead me to believe you are using two separate programs now to get your receiver working. This is why I asked earlier in the thread to clarify, if you were using the xx-client or something else.

This is the file I believe you started with, the RQ-SSSP Client and why you couldn't easily find the "Kickstart.bat" file as its not there.
http://www.satfix.net/showthread.php?129361-Fixed-Step-By-Step-VS-Xtreme-RQ-SSSP-Client

and incorporated this program in conjunction with the one above.
http://www.satfix.net/showthread.php?132889-XX-Client_2-4-162-982&highlight=goofather

From what I’ve read, you need to change the “Receiver Protocol” for the VS Extreme, it needs to be changed from the default setting of 1 to 3, as the Extreme apparently runs under the Coolsat protocol.

Also I believe the baud speed needs to be set at a “Serial_Speed” of 115200 from default of 19200

Let me know how it works out.

Shark1959

SpaceCowboy
05-28-2013, 07:53 PM
I appreciate your taking time to help me Sharky,

OK, you were right I had two different programs...now first one is deleted I have only yours.
The one which shows a Fellow with Afro Hair...

I have changed the Baud_Speed to 115200
also Changed the Protocol...from 1 to 3...

Still the same....waiting for requests!!!!

I had another Viewsat...and down loaded the files
VIEWSAT_v0279.PGM and DBPSW-071031x_SSSP.pgm.pgm
on the viewsat never modified before...

No Change...."I have turned the autoroll OFF"

PS: I was following the instructions from BIGSLIM....
Are there more instructions for Viewsat Ext.2000?

Shark1959
05-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Hey Cowboy your more than welcome for the help. I've been helped many times in the past and now its my turn to give back.

Have you tried the Kickstart with the xx Client, now that you've changed the settings to the Baud and receiver protocol? If it still doesn't work, I've since read that because the 2000 Extreme was never supported by the Weather Forecaster dongle, that it won't work with the xx-client emulator and only with RQ-SSSP client, the second link in my last post and is the one to use to get your receiver fired up. I thought all VS worked the same with all client programs, guess I thought wrong. I've only ever dealt with the VS Ultra and 9000, learning as I go along with you.

So if the above is correct and I've read it in a few places now, you need to delete the current xx-client program you have (I know a pain but) and go back to the RQ-SSSP program here: http://www.satfix.net/showthread.php?129361-Fixed-Step-By-Step-VS-Xtreme-RQ-SSSP-Client and follow the instructions in the TEXT document to a T. The only difference I would make and again from what I've read is, that this time, keep the Buad_Speed at 11250 and the Receiver Protocol at 3, instead of the default settings and see what that produces.

Is your other VS an 2000 Extreme as well?

One last thing the xx-client was not my work but, that of another individual that visits the different FTA forums.

Shark1959

SpaceCowboy
05-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks Sharky,

That was the program I have deleted...lol
OK, I see the link in your post...first I get thet link and make the changes
then I will let you know! Gee, your Dad must be good at these things! I mean when we had viewsat,,,there were only keys to change...then you did get the channels....good times!!!!

SC

SpaceCowboy
05-28-2013, 10:10 PM
OK, after I got rid of all the number signs...I put one of my rocketserver username and ID
change the rec.protocol to 3
Baud_Speed ,,,,,,I could not locate!!!! I assume that Serial_Port Settings=115200/8/N/1 is the Baud_Speed!!!!!!!!!!!! since it showed the number 115200 I did not touch that one...

when I click on RQ black screen appears and it is BLANK.....nothing "correction blinking cursor!"

Should I connect the Viewsat and turn ON.....???
But according what I've read ; if everything is correctly done the numbers should rolling first regardles the receiver is connected....
that I am assuming of course...:-)

Shark1959
05-28-2013, 10:22 PM
What do you mean you got rid of all the number # signs?

Yes the receiver HAS to be connected to the PC or nothing will happen as far as getting and receiving requests.

Shark1959

Shark1959
05-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Hello

In the CONF. file all you needed to do is add the necessary P$ info and settings, as the active line already has the number # sign removed. Everything with a number sign in front needs to stay with the exception of the ACTIVE/COMMAND line, as again as I mentioned earlier, it is the description of what the active/command line in the program is going to do. That's why nothing is happening in the RQ window when you launch it. ONLY the active line will have the number sign removed. If you didn't touch the CONF. file and just launched the RQ you would see a number of lines of text where its trying to connect to the server but, again without the modified CONF. file, RQ obviously can't connect.

I know in the xx-client the number sign needed to be removed from the CONF. file but, again that was ONLY from the active line and NOT the whole file. Everything else in the CONF. file other than the ACTIVE line stays.

Did you loaded the two program files starting with V0279 and followed by 071031x?

Shark1959

SpaceCowboy
05-28-2013, 10:41 PM
OPS......and a BIG OPS....indeed
did you say receiver should be connected to computer???
how am I going to do that Sharky? my computer is in another room and this perticular receiver is another bed room.......rofl
But I have a laptop but all these files are on my main desk top computer...do I have to have these files in the LapTop too....or?

Shark1959
05-28-2013, 10:49 PM
OH no your PC has to remain CONNECTED AT ALL TIMES to the receiver or it won't work.

Well with a laptop now you add another dimension as the laptop doesn't have a serial port. You will need to purchase a USB to serial adapter if your not going to bring the receiver and PC together.

You can run a cable from one location to another

For testing purposes can you not bring them together and see if this set-up is going to work?

Shark1959

SpaceCowboy
05-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Ok,
Conf. file.....all those numbers around the document I have removed.....well, I get the file and leave everything as they are..no problem...only change the info at very buttom of it....OK?

Now my laptop has 15 pins port and the viewsat has the same port, I have the cable which I used to transfer files from one comp. to another....you think that will be OK???

Also.......laptop operates wireless also the desk computer...they both are basicly connected to 2WIRE Router....so I think it should be ok....since both computer are communicating thru 2WIRE router once I connect the LapTop to the receiver it should jump start!!!! what do you say????

Now I have to go to the radio shack and get a both side female adopter...because the cable has two male sides.........before I do this I would like to know what do you think about the whole S%^T.....:innocent:

Shark1959
05-28-2013, 11:31 PM
Heading home now and I can continue from there later tonight but, first I would make sure before you do any of that, that you bring the receiver and PC together and make sure it works. From there you can look at these other options.

Are you sure its a SERIAL port on the laptop as most newer units no longer have serial ports on them?

Shark1959

SpaceCowboy
05-29-2013, 02:52 AM
Yes Shark I am very sure...cause my laptop is not that new...therefore it has serial port just like the viewsat 2000..
If it doesn't work I buy a USB cable....but it won't be neccessary, because I have transfered all the info from my old desktop to the new one with that cable..

Ok, Shark have a nice evening I will keep you informed. This became an obsession with me: I do have two nanopremiums all in working condition, I have an NFUSION which I use the N.O.I and works fine...but I love these Viewsats...the channel list is fantastic, news channels from all over the Country,,,I don't know if I will get them once I get the whole thing done!

Anyway...you are a terrific young fellow, your Father must be very proud of you..thanks again for everything.

Shark1959
05-29-2013, 03:00 AM
Just to let you know I pulled the second Ultra from the shelf and it works perfectly with the the RQ-SSSP. So now I have the 9000 and one Ultra on the XX-client and one Ultra on the RQ-SSSP. Awesome

Now to pull the Nano's off the shelf LOL

Did you have any luck getting it going with the desktop? I would make sure it works before introducing any other settings into the equation.

Shark1959

Shark1959
05-29-2013, 03:12 AM
Yes Shark I am very sure...cause my laptop is not that new...therefore it has serial port just like the viewsat 2000..

Hey Cowboy:

Just so you know RS232 Serial ports are either 9 or 25 pins known as db9 or db25, the 15 pin you see on the laptop is for an external VGA monitor.

Shark1959

SpaceCowboy
06-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Mine is DB9 nine pin!

But I am using the USB port on the computer and serial cable's USB side goes in there....and the other side and which is nine pin goes to the Receiver...as you know Viewsat has no USB port....

Regarding your last PM....

Here is the corrections I have made on Config Page....

card_server_url_1=newcamd:/MYACCESSCODE:MYACCESSCODE:SERVER:PORT/DES.Key[/COLOR][/B]

OK.???????

Before running RQ I suppose that I have to connect the receiver to computer and turn the receiver ON and then activate RQ...

Am I right????

Shark1959
06-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Hey Cowboy

I'm not sure how this script [/COLOR][/B] got thru to where you saw it, an error on my side I guess.

Your receiver WILL NOT WORK if not connected to the PC and it should be a serial on the receiver to a serial on the PC both are 9 pin.

It sounds as though you are using a USB to serial adapter. Is this with your laptop now or are you using the desktop?

Again I MUST STRESS I would not complicate matters by adding in the adapter until you have this receiver working with the PC

Shark1959

PremiereElite
06-04-2013, 10:14 PM
I tried to ask in post 17 what type of cable are you using but was ignored so I left it alone... well my suggestion is that you use a DB9 female for the COM1 port on your computer and also the port on your receiver.. gl

SpaceCowboy
06-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Tnx, PremierElite,

First thing tomorrow, going to FRY'S and buying a cable both side DB9...."female"
Shark advised me the same thing!

If this will not start rolling the numbers....I am giving up....:grr:

PremiereElite
06-04-2013, 11:05 PM
It should start to roll lol just scan in the channels first then do your other thingy lol

Shark1959
06-04-2013, 11:22 PM
I tried to ask in post 17 what type of cable are you using but was ignored so I left it alone... well my suggestion is that you use a DB9 female for the COM1 port on your computer and also the port on your receiver.. gl

Hey Angel

Odd as when I also asked well back, Cowboy said it was stamped NM which is for the Null Modem cable. I'm not sure what he was referring to if it wasn't the serial cable.

Shark1959

PremiereElite
06-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Hey Angel

Odd as when I also asked well back, Cowboy said it was stamped NM which is for the Null Modem cable. I'm not sure what he was referring to if it wasn't the serial cable.

Shark1959
Lol thats why I had asked from post 17 which it was because there are several different types ;)

f3dude
06-04-2013, 11:35 PM
It should start to roll lol just scan in the channels first then do your other thingy lol

just came across this thread and is awesome amount of help and patience with noobs like me. Not to take anything away from the thread and pardon me for not starting a new thread as my question is closely related.
Background -
VS Extreme (from golden testing years 2007/2008) and flashed yesterday (Step by Step method - factory and then the other pgm) Flashed fine. hooked coax up to OEM switch/lnb's (110,118,119,129) these currently run legit setup. and spent 4 hours trying to scan changed TP's and what not. have a feeling my sat file is obsolete. Tried changing lnb types, disec stuff turning 22khz on and off. The extreme interface shows up b&w and also seems like missing a bunch of options from before. plan to use RQ-SSSP as this thread seems to indicate less success with xx-client. I am using usb to serial (airlink 101, with pl2303 win 7 driver) load pgm files fine.

Question -
a) Should I switch to db9 to db9 setup before venturing into rq-sssp?
b) Can you point me to a good channel scanning guide and which sat info file to start with. for VS Extreme 2000
c) which provider ? will ask your opinion on that once (b) is successful and rolling numbers start.

Thanks

PremiereElite
06-05-2013, 02:27 AM
I would suggest db9 to db9 female cable and also you should have a provider before any rolling will start..
Input all information in receiver before config file which include the scanning of sats.. good luck!

Shark1959
06-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Lol thats why I had asked from post 17 which it was because there are several different types ;)

Honestly I thought there was only one db9 Null Modem Serial cable and a Straight Through Serial cable and yes some are male/female and others male/male etc, which is why I kept stressing to make sure they use a NM cable.

As for Cowboy, I don't know why he didn't respond to you. :)

Shark1959

Shark1959
06-05-2013, 05:22 AM
Question -
a) Should I switch to db9 to db9 setup before venturing into rq-sssp?
b) Can you point me to a good channel scanning guide and which sat info file to start with. for VS Extreme 2000
c) which provider ? will ask your opinion on that once (b) is successful and rolling numbers start.

Thanks

Hey F3

A) I would start with a factory default followed by connecting a db9 Null modem cable between receiver and PC, as I've mentioned earlier in this thread a few times.

B) I would set your settings similar to what I have posted in this thread with the exception of your LNB's which I'm guessing are OCS-DP for DN. Try different settings if that doesn't work, till you get a good S & Q reading. http://www.satfix.net/showthread.php?134174-How-to-check-if-you-have-the-right-connection&p=958261#post958261

C) Many provider/servers to choose from.

D) Diseqc settings: Port 1 is usually 119. Port 2=110 and 3 would be 129.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Shark1959

f3dude
06-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Hi Shark, your tips were very helpful.. That screen shot is awesome, I did reload the files from the links to the package in this thread. I had a wrong step by step package, fortunately didn't brick the box on earler attempt. The channels scanned in with ease S/Q both above 85. and I could get one public announcement screen with voice too. fyi didnt do it with db9 just the usb to db9.

Next step is to either find a trial to test out or buy a service for extended testing. any suggestions.?
will report how it goes after that step.
Thanks

Shark1959
06-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Hi Shark, your tips were very helpful.. That screen shot is awesome, I did reload the files from the links to the package in this thread. I had a wrong step by step package, fortunately didn't brick the box on earler attempt. The channels scanned in with ease S/Q both above 85. and I could get one public announcement screen with voice too. fyi didnt do it with db9 just the usb to db9.

Next step is to either find a trial to test out or buy a service for extended testing. any suggestions.?
will report how it goes after that step.
Thanks

That's great you got it working, I like the VS models even though you need a PC or XTFA router to make them work.
I would use a Null Modem Serial cable between receiver and PC when you want to start testing this, as it eliminates having to use the USB to Serial adapter which can be a bit finicky sometimes. Keep it SIMPLE to start with.

As for a service to test with, there are many out there to choose from if you look here: http://www.satfix.net/forumdisplay.php?1289-IKS-Server-Discussions They all offer pretty much the same thing, though there are some differences. I've been reading good things recently about TV101 and no I don't currently use them but, I'm thinking to. All you need to do is PM them once you decide on what service you want and work out the particulars with the individual. Nothing is guaranteed with any of them, so do some reading about them all and choose wisely, as they can be here today and gone tomorrow, as history has proven.

Shark1959

f3dude
06-07-2013, 02:22 PM
So back to the topic of scanning, not getting all. is there a specific quide for every bird. ?
Thanks

Shark1959
06-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Hey F3 I'm glad to hear you got it working, now that I know it works, I hope Cowboy is as successful as you were. Maybe he's still looking for the elusive NM serial cable. :) I don't have a need for 118 but, if I'm not mistaken, it requires a special LNB.

I found this:

You need to buy a Ku-band circular dual output LNB with dual polarization. It is designed especially to catch 119 &118.7/118.8 (Anik F3) at the same time, using one such LNB with each outputs giving signals from both satellites.

Shark1959

SpaceCowboy
06-11-2013, 11:58 PM
OK. Genlemen,

After getting desperate angry hopeless etc.....Finally TV is ON.
I bought a 25 feet regular serial cable and connected to the receiver and computer NOTHING! so I remembered old days we used to use nullmodem serial cable to download the files to Viewsat...now from those days I had a nullmodem adaptor. bought from Radio Shack, it is a small square piece it says NULLMODEM on it which goes t the one end of the serial cable...so I connected it to the serial cable and connected the other end which has nullmodem adaptor to the computer....BINGO....TV came alive.......

I say this system is much better than N.O.I ......there is no interruptions, channels appear fast, I like it. Of course you have to leave your computer ON as long as you want to watch TV. I have a 60 INCHES plasma TV, 2013...I was wondering if it would be possible to download those step by step instructions in to the TV??????:noidea:

This way no need for the computer cause I can connect my TV to computer by WIFI.....I like to hear from the LITERATI about this.

Shark was very helpfull and consisent that I should not give up....THANKS SHARK.
I also thank you those other Members who were helpfull to me.

I am kind of proud of myself too so to say..I found out that at 77 I am not that bad either...;)

Shark1959
06-12-2013, 02:53 AM
That's fantastic Cowboy so glad you got it up and running, I wasn't going to give up on you as I knew it would work. It was just a case of getting the right pieces together :) Why such a long cable though as they do come shorter? This is what we were trying to tell you from the beginning that it had to be a NULL modem cable and that it had to be connected to the PC in order to work.

Regarding the smart TV can't help you there but I'm guessing what your asking can't be done. If you want to use the Viewsat your stuck with using the PC or having it connected to an XFTA router.

Again glad you have your favorite receiver working once more.

Shark1959

SpaceCowboy
06-13-2013, 01:58 AM
Thanks again for all the encouragement Shark,

XFTA, is this some thing like a MODEM...actually I have an AT&T 2WIRE modem and everything is hooked up to this Modem...
Now If I get an XFTA "I should first go to ebay and see how it looks like..lol" I do not need the computer always ON????
Anyway I will check it out at ebay...

I scanned all the channels and viewsat is awsome...unfortunately I don't get all those local channels from all over the Country...scramble all I see on the screen, some NY channels are coming thru..but not steady!

Shark1959
06-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks again for all the encouragement Shark,

XFTA, is this some thing like a MODEM...actually I have an AT&T 2WIRE modem and everything is hooked up to this Modem...
Now If I get an XFTA "I should first go to ebay and see how it looks like..lol" I do not need the computer always ON????
Anyway I will check it out at ebay...

I scanned all the channels and viewsat is awsome...unfortunately I don't get all those local channels from all over the Country...scramble all I see on the screen, some NY channels are coming thru..but not steady!

Your most welcome Cowboy, hard to believe this thread has close to a 1000 views :)

XFTA is a form of ROUTER not a Modem. I personally have never used one so I can't help you there if you go that route but, there are a number of people here who do. With this you wouldn't need to have the PC on in order to watch the VS.

I don't believe locals are available from what I've read like back in the N2 days, at least I've never seen them active.

Now that you've stressed and pulled out your hair, I would think you would best suited to sit back and enjoy your favourite receiver for a while. ENJOY

Shark1959

SpaceCowboy
06-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks to you Shark,
at one point I almost would have given up...but you sure have convinced me that I would succeed..:thumbsup:

Viewsat isn't the only receiver I have...I mean I watch TV with the help of other receivers...I think I wanted, that Old Timer to come ALIVE again....I am sure that there are many Members who feel the same way, about the Viewsat EXTR....

f3dude
06-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Awesome... Shark was all concerned when you vanished a couple of days looking for that cable.. Good to know it all worked out.

fyi these nm/serial cables were hard to find in mid 80's and we use to build our own for connecting dumb terminals to unix server. from just memory there are only 2 connectors and a ground that's used on the cable. next time mine break i will test out the old 80's theory and build one.

found a Pinouts diagram as attached.

OK. Genlemen,

After getting desperate angry hopeless etc.....Finally TV is ON.
I bought a 25 feet regular serial cable and connected to the receiver and computer NOTHING! so I remembered old days we used to use nullmodem serial cable to download the files to Viewsat...now from those days I had a nullmodem adaptor. bought from Radio Shack, it is a small square piece it says NULLMODEM on it which goes t the one end of the serial cable...so I connected it to the serial cable and connected the other end which has nullmodem adaptor to the computer....BINGO....TV came alive.......

I say this system is much better than N.O.I ......there is no interruptions, channels appear fast, I like it. Of course you have to leave your computer ON as long as you want to watch TV. I have a 60 INCHES plasma TV, 2013...I was wondering if it would be possible to download those step by step instructions in to the TV??????:noidea:

This way no need for the computer cause I can connect my TV to computer by WIFI.....I like to hear from the LITERATI about this.

Shark was very helpfull and consisent that I should not give up....THANKS SHARK.
I also thank you those other Members who were helpfull to me.

I am kind of proud of myself too so to say..I found out that at 77 I am not that bad either...;)