PDA

View Full Version : XX-Client 2.5 Nfusion Protocol setup example

goofather
06-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Reposted from another site where I did this to document my process.......

Alright, I erased my OpenWRT setup just to see the setup process.....also changed my subnet to 192.168.1.x for simplicity when telling people what I did.

Once I had the router reflashed:

I took a laptop and set the IP to 192.168.1.200 Gateway: blank DNS: blank on a wired connection. Using an ethernet cable I plugged one end to my laptop the other to port one on the router.

Opened a browser on the laptop and went to 192.168.1.1 and logged into the OpenWRT interface.

Hit the network tab and went to "Edit" on LAN. There I set like so:

IP: 192.168.1.254 (nothing else on my network uses that IP)
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (my main home router for this test)
Custom DNS: 192.168.1.1 (my home router)
Checked the box "Disable DHCP" since I have another router that has dhcp server running

Hit Save & Apply

Once I rebooted the router I then went to 192.168.1.254 in a browser (Since I changed the IP)

Logged in and went to Network tab-> wifi hit the enable button to enable wifi radio and hit the "Scan" button next to my wifi interface listed.

It found my main router so I joined it.

On the laptop I changed the gateway to 192.168.1.254 and dns to 192.168.1.1 to confirm I had internet. To do this I opened a website, h77p://www.google.com and I opened a command prompt and typed "ping google.com". Both tests succeeded.

For good measure I went to network tab->firewall and set Input, Output and Forward to "accept" under the general settings section. Hit Save & apply.

I then went to System Tab->Administration to enabled SSH server. I just hit add and set as such:

Interface: LAN
Port: 22
Checked Allow SSH password authentication
Checked Allow the root user to login with password

Hit Save & Apply

Rebooted router.

From here I was able to copy the xx-client nfusion test over to my router. Edit the servers.ini, the normal setup procedure for xx-client with winscp. To make a winscp connection, set file protocol to SCP, put in router IP, username, password and hit login. I then simply dragged, xx-client-atheros (if you have a broadcom drag xx-client-broadcom), servers.ini, caid.ini and xx-client.ini to /root. I then double clicked on servers.ini and edited that for my P$ info then saved. Did the same for xx-client.ini, making sure receiver_protocol=5. Then went to my nfusion receiver and set IP to 192.168.1.253 (nothing else using that IP on my network) and gateway to 192.168.1.254 (the router I copied xx-client to).

Went back to my laptop and I used putty to connect to 192.168.1.254. When I logged in I typed:

cd /root
chmod +x xx-client-atheros
./xx-client-atheros

Rebooted receiver (turned off/on from the rocker in the back) and I got a picture. Only works with xx-client 2.5+

winscp:

http://winscp.net/eng/download.php

putty:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Of course, if you already have a working router on your network (that you will be installing xx-client on) these instructions are moot and not needed. All you have to do is copy the xx-client files to the router and do the steps to make it executable and run it.

The only prerequisite for the nfusion protocol in xx-client is that you have a working router that can access the Internet. It can be wired or wirelessly bridged. Just as long as that router functions on your network. By working, I mean you can plug/connect a laptop or computer to the router and get internet through it and ping the router's IP address. You just have to create a functioning network router, like everyone else does. Nothing fancy or nonstandard.

Maybe this short primer will be useful for some to understand the networking aspect of it:

http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-One-Router-to-Another-to-Expand-a-Network

Hmjose1987
06-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Thanks, Hi I tried it and it works but as soon as a disconnect the pc from the router it stop working i need help, im using broadcom version with openwrt

06-17-2013, 12:03 AM
Quick question pls
I've got xx-client working on a phoenix
Works great
I have a separate PS for bev...I scanned all channels...put the bev info into router config...nothing
dish works perfect
Is it because Phoenix can't do North and South at same time or do you need certain s/w like the Nfusion Hd receivers do..r27 bin

rev0
06-17-2013, 11:51 PM
I just installed OpenWRT (backfire 10.03.1) on a very old Buffalo WHR-G54S following these instructions. It uses the broadcom xx-client version and works like a charm. I noticed a dd-wrt integrated version with automatic startup instructions was released shortly after by goofather, excellent work by him as always. But I personally enjoy using OpenWRT for control and usually larger support of routers. Didn't find any instructions on a automatic startup script with OpenWRT so thought I will post my findings and hope it helps someone out.

First off follow post #1 and make sure your router works with correct .ini files. I like to run xx-client in screen so I can later SSH into the box and check activity of it. Its not installed by default so for this to work you need to use opkg to install screen (just Google OpenWRT site). Now you need a simple startup script, just create a new file containing this named 'xxboot.sh'. It can either be done in a text editor on the router itself or made into a file and SCP over to it.

#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
START=98
XX_PATH=/root/xx-client
XX_CLIENT=$XX_PATH/xx-client-broadcom

boot()
{
start
}

start()
{
sleep 5
echo "** xx-client ** Starting $XX_PATH/$XX_CLIENT"
cd $XX_PATH
screen -dmS xxclient $XX_CLIENT
}

The only thing that may need editing is 'XX_PATH' on the third line. It assumes the xx-client-broadcom executable is at '/root/xx-client/xx-client-broadcom'. This may slightly differ depending on updated versions or how you named your folders. Next you need to place this xxboot.sh file you created into /etc/init.d on the router. Back to SSH, execute these commands to change permissions and enable the script.

chmod +x /etc/init.d/xxboot.sh
/etc/init.d/xxboot.sh enable

You can use 'screen -r' via SSH to show xx-client activity as it runs (control + a + d to detach it). That is it, reboot your router to test your results. And of course personally thank goofather for making this all possible.

nesan
07-11-2013, 05:48 AM
I just installed OpenWRT (backfire 10.03.1) on a very old Buffalo WHR-G54S following these instructions. It uses the broadcom xx-client version and works like a charm. I noticed a dd-wrt integrated version with automatic startup instructions was released shortly after by goofather, excellent work by him as always. But I personally enjoy using OpenWRT for control and usually larger support of routers. Didn't find any instructions on a automatic startup script with OpenWRT so thought I will post my findings and hope it helps someone out.

First off follow post #1 and make sure your router works with correct .ini files. I like to run xx-client in screen so I can later SSH into the box and check activity of it. Its not installed by default so for this to work you need to use opkg to install screen (just Google OpenWRT site). Now you need a simple startup script, just create a new file containing this named 'xxboot.sh'. It can either be done in a text editor on the router itself or made into a file and SCP over to it.

#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
START=98
XX_PATH=/root/xx-client
XX_CLIENT=$XX_PATH/xx-client-broadcom

boot()
{
start
}

start()
{
sleep 5
echo "** xx-client ** Starting $XX_PATH/$XX_CLIENT"
cd $XX_PATH
screen -dmS xxclient $XX_CLIENT
}

The only thing that may need editing is 'XX_PATH' on the third line. It assumes the xx-client-broadcom executable is at '/root/xx-client/xx-client-broadcom'. This may slightly differ depending on updated versions or how you named your folders. Next you need to place this xxboot.sh file you created into /etc/init.d on the router. Back to SSH, execute these commands to change permissions and enable the script.

chmod +x /etc/init.d/xxboot.sh
/etc/init.d/xxboot.sh enable

You can use 'screen -r' via SSH to show xx-client activity as it runs (control + a + d to detach it). That is it, reboot your router to test your results. And of course personally thank goofather for making this all possible.

Your Code works Perfect

thank you