PDA

View Full Version : ATSC Tuner Question

mars25
08-08-2013, 01:51 AM
If the TV can handle internal/external antenna, is there a need/use to adding or buying a fta box with ATSC tuner?

One advantage I see is recording of broadcast programs by a fta box with ATSC tuner, are there any other advantages with ATSC tuner?

Does fta box with ATSC tuner need an antenna connected by a separate coax cable?

Thanks in advance

BanHammer
08-08-2013, 02:07 AM
another advantage is EPG on off-air channels, TVs don't have a program guide built in.

you can use a separate coax for the antenna or use diplexers to combine a sat/ota signal into one cable and split them at your receiver

dishuser
08-08-2013, 02:12 AM
another advantage is EPG on off-air channels, TVs don't have a program guide built in.

you can use a separate coax for the antenna or use diplexers to combine a sat/ota signal into one cable and split them at your receiver

huh?
all my tv's get epg on ota
should say info...lol

BanHammer
08-08-2013, 03:50 AM
huh?
all my tv's get epg on ota
should say info...lol

I meant like a guide to see what's on later.

NoName
08-08-2013, 06:12 AM
only benefit for me with an fta box with atsc tuner is being able to record.

on the flip side you can stick a atsc dongle in your computer and record that way but

dishuser
08-08-2013, 11:33 AM
I meant like a guide to see what's on later.
I edited and put info;)
and it shows what is on for the next 4 hours
that's better than the dreamlink...lol

mars25
08-08-2013, 01:05 PM
I edited and put info;)
and it shows what is on for the next 4 hours
that's better than the dreamlink...lol

It seems you have antenna connected directly to TV.

Thanks for bringing up EPG issues with dreamlink. Why are dreamlink HD's recommended so much in spite of EPG issues and pixation issues?

dishuser
08-08-2013, 01:12 PM
It seems you have antenna connected directly to TV.

Thanks for bringing up EPG issues with dreamlink. Why are dreamlink HD's recommended so much in spite of EPG issues and pixation issues?
excellent pic
fast scanning
accurate scanning
no clones
multiple server support
I'm sure there's more

mars25
08-08-2013, 05:39 PM
excellent pic
fast scanning
accurate scanning
no clones
multiple server support
I'm sure there's more

Having a hard time deciding between Linkbox 8000HD Local w/LS500 HD (been able to find only Linkbox 8000HD Plus w/LS400 HD) and Dreamlink HD v4.

Since Dreamlink HD is compact, can an ATSC Tuner be installed on Dreamlink HD v4?

Are you running 114 on Dreamlink to avoid Pixation issue?

jvvh5897
08-08-2013, 05:42 PM
I would say it would be better to have separate boxes for different tasks. What if you wanted to record an OTA channels while recording an FTA channel--might that be easy with two boxes and not so good with FTA/ATSC all in one box?

Terryl
08-08-2013, 06:03 PM
I put an ATSC tuner card in my PC and record to hard drive, (if there is anything on OTA that I need to record) then make DVD's out of what I want to save, with Pinnacle Systems software I can edit out the commercials, another fine video editing software is Nero, they both are not free, but good.

BanHammer
08-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Having a hard time deciding between Linkbox 8000HD Local w/LS500 HD (been able to find only Linkbox 8000HD Plus w/LS400 HD) and Dreamlink HD v4.

Since Dreamlink HD is compact, can an ATSC Tuner be installed on Dreamlink HD v4?

Are you running 114 on Dreamlink to avoid Pixation issue?

Dreamlinks don't have ATSC Tuners in them

NoName
08-08-2013, 09:15 PM
I would say it would be better to have separate boxes for different tasks. What if you wanted to record an OTA channels while recording an FTA channel--might that be easy with two boxes and not so good with FTA/ATSC all in one box?

That's why some of us test with the VIP 622/722

NoName
08-08-2013, 09:16 PM
I put an ATSC tuner card in my PC and record to hard drive, (if there is anything on OTA that I need to record) then make DVD's out of what I want to save, with Pinnacle Systems software I can edit out the commercials, another fine video editing software is Nero, they both are not free, but good.

Good idea. Wondering if after recording to your pc's hard drive if it can be played back without conversion on a dreamlink or jynxbox

mars25
08-08-2013, 11:41 PM

What is least expensive HD FTA box that comes with ATSC any idea?

In SD good old Pansat 2700 had a coax port designated as antenna not sure it had a tuner?

Terryl
08-08-2013, 11:48 PM
My old CoolSat 8000 had one heck of an HD picture on OTA ATSC, look for one on flebay, or that other list.

It's not much good for anything else but HD ATSC right now.

It only had one bug in it on the ATSC side, when it got to around 700 MHz is stopped scanning for channels and reset, I just scanned to just below that point, and did a second scan above that point, it worked fine after that.

NoName
08-09-2013, 03:14 AM
What is least expensive HD FTA box that comes with ATSC any idea?

In SD good old Pansat 2700 had a coax port designated as antenna not sure it had a tuner?

Nfusion HD or Viewsat HD. I think the Pansat 9200 might have atsc as well but not sure. As far as newer boxes go, Jynxbox is cheapest.

But the Sonicview 8000's tuner worked best in my opinion.

mars25
08-10-2013, 12:50 AM
Nfusion HD or Viewsat HD. I think the Pansat 9200 might have atsc as well but not sure. As far as newer boxes go, Jynxbox is cheapest.

But the Sonicview 8000's tuner worked best in my opinion.

Coolsat 8000 HD looks like most cost effective solution for dedicated OTA channels considering flea bay prices. Sonicview 8000 costs quite a bit.

Open Box S10 HD sells around $75, not sure if ATSC tuner can be installed on it any idea?

NoName
08-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Coolsat 8000 HD looks like most cost effective solution for dedicated OTA channels considering flea bay prices. Sonicview 8000 costs quite a bit.

Open Box S10 HD sells around $75, not sure if ATSC tuner can be installed on it any idea?

Can't add a atsc into an openbox........I see that money you are being price conscious which is good...but remember you get what you pay for.

mars25
08-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Can't add a atsc into an openbox........I see that money you are being price conscious which is good...but remember you get what you pay for.

Thanks you are absolutely right, there's only that much one can get trying to maximize bang for the bucks.

I was leaning towards Linkbox 8000 HD Local, but was rightly pointed towards separate boxes or PC tuner. It is nice to know before one ventures, thanks to all who provided valuable input's.

It's never easy as I realized few years back, when I already had two receivers connected from dual output LNB's, one of which was Coolsat 5000 for which support was withdrawn. I got a dual tuner Sonic View 360 to replace the Coolsat 5000, only to realize I needed 3 LNB outputs instead of 2 LNB's outputs I had in place - 2 for dual tuner Sonic View 360 and 1 for the other receiver.