PDA

View Full Version : Whirlpool Washer won't spin

jriver309
08-13-2013, 04:15 AM
My Whirlpool washer does not want to spin when using super wash or permanent press, you hear the pump draining the water but it won't cycle to spin. If I rotate the dial to handwash or delicate then it will spin. Any help appreciated and where do I find model number I am attaching a picture.

Thanks19284

pax
08-16-2013, 12:11 AM
You NEED a Timer

My Whirlpool washer does not want to spin when using super wash or permanent press, you hear the pump draining the water but it won't cycle to spin. If I rotate the dial to handwash or delicate then it will spin. Any help appreciated and where do I find model number I am attaching a picture.

Thanks19284

jriver309
08-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Where is the timer located and where can I buy a new one

Terryl
08-17-2013, 07:43 PM
The timer is located behind the front panel knob, you would have to remove the back (unplug it from the wall outlet first) to get to it.

I would locate the make and model number then go to sears parts direct to order a new one, (if it is the problem) they have a layout of the front panel parts.(look at the link below)

http://parts.sears.com/partsdirect/index.action

However it may not be the timer, but the safety interlock switch for the lid, I had a simular problem, I bypassed the interlock (used a jumper, but you need to know what your doing to do so) and everything worked fine.

anyonomus
08-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Where is the timer located and where can I buy a new one

The timer is the button/knob that u turn to make the washer work.. As mentioned the timer is actually behind the front panel and only the button protrudes.

Jdread
08-19-2013, 01:10 AM
Seems like the timer to me, since it spins on some of the settings. If it was the Lid Switch it would not spin on any of the settings.

anyonomus
08-19-2013, 04:25 AM
Seems like the timer to me, since it spins on some of the settings. If it was the Lid Switch it would not spin on any of the settings.

U are partially correct..If it was the lid switch that particular washer would not run at all.. The newer ones have a safety feature built into the lid switch that prevents the washer from doing anything but fill up,unless the switch is closed. (lid down)

Terryl
08-19-2013, 04:41 AM
It depends on the model and how old, mine did everything but spin, they may have changed things since rocks and sticks and making the old lady sling it over her head were in use.

jriver309
08-20-2013, 01:48 AM
The timer is located behind the front panel knob, you would have to remove the back (unplug it from the wall outlet first) to get to it.

I would locate the make and model number then go to sears parts direct to order a new one, (if it is the problem) they have a layout of the front panel parts.(look at the link below)

http://parts.sears.com/partsdirect/index.action

However it may not be the timer, but the safety interlock switch for the lid, I had a simular problem, I bypassed the interlock (used a jumper, but you need to know what your doing to do so) and everything worked fine.

Well I have been known to burn up many things electrical so I am will to try using a jumper. What did you use alligator clips or spade connectors, picture by chance. And I should add this if I lift the lid and wait a minute sometimes when I close lid it will spin but not always. And thanks for the help guys you all are what makes this site great.

Terryl
08-20-2013, 02:12 AM
Sounds like a bad interlock switch, try replacing it first.

The sears site has diagrams and pictures of what to replace.

Mine would have been over $85, the washer is not worth that much, I made a special jumper to go around it, but due to safety reason's I will not devulge how I did this, I don't want anyone to get hurt as the washer will spin at full speed with the lid open.

jriver309
08-20-2013, 02:17 AM
Sounds like a bad interlock switch, try replacing it first.

The sears site has diagrams and pictures of what to replace.

Mine would have been over $85, the washer is not worth that much, I made a special jumper to go around it, but due to safety reason's I will not devulge how I did this, I don't want anyone to get hurt as the washer will spin at full speed with the lid open.

Come to think of it sometimes it will run with the lid open

Jdread
08-20-2013, 05:01 AM
To test if it is the Lid Switch, use a flat head screw driver or anything that will go down in the section where the projection from the lid would normally fit and push down as far it will go and see if the machine start spinning. If it start spinning with the switch held right down you have a broken lid switch.

jriver309
09-20-2013, 01:18 AM
To test if it is the Lid Switch, use a flat head screw driver or anything that will go down in the section where the projection from the lid would normally fit and push down as far it will go and see if the machine start spinning. If it start spinning with the switch held right down you have a broken lid switch.

I tried that and sometimes it will do nothing, if I lift lid wait a minute sometimes it will spin if I depress the switch

Jdread
09-20-2013, 02:26 AM
Seems like the switch is OK, it must be the timer as you are getting this intermittent starts. Not 100% sure but it is pointing to your timer.

jriver309
09-21-2013, 06:50 PM
when I lift the lid and depress the switch you hear the motor moaning trying to spin but doesn't, wait a minute try a couple times and it will sometimes start spinning

ironworks
09-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Maybe you have corrosion problems in some connection, so sometimes it works and sometimes it does not........take the back off and check connections................just my two cents.

Mr Hanky
09-25-2013, 12:08 PM
It may have an uneven loaded balance switch as well,which will give you the same symptoms if it is off kilter..

sodusme
11-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Did you ever get this fixed? When you say it "won't spin" you mean it actually pumps the water out but it won't "spin" the clothes in that they are water logged and soggy after it shuts down? Is that right? Also you say the dial will not advance as in it doesn't physically move right? I'd have to lean towards a timer. I had a similar problem with our Whirlpool and I troubleshot everything from the lid switch to the timer to the motor coupler to the "dog ears". Ours wouldn't agitate and it also wouldn't spin out. I replaced the "dog ears" under the agitator and now it agitates and also seems to spin just fine. But ours would physically move through the cycles. So if you're doesn't that sounds like a timer to me. Also does it agitate just fine?

You can find some really good Whirlpool tutorials on Youtube on how to troubleshoot these things. Just search Whirlpool will not spin or Whirlpool will not agitate as in my case.

sodusme
11-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Oh almost forgot to find the model # lift the lid and its on a stamp on the back of the washer frame. Like in this pic:

jriver309
01-13-2014, 02:27 AM
I have not fixed this and yes what you said is correct. It will pump water out but not spin unless I open and close lid several times or spin dial around a few times. Sorry for the delay I did not see this till now I apologize.