PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions of Pinwheel Mini

Nostradamus
08-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanks to a friend I got chance to look at one of these last night for the first time.

I got to watch the whole thing from the time the shipping wrapper came off until everything was up and running and it is all pretty much straight forward. My buddy did his thing while I made some notes. The first step of course is to power the box up and make sure it is not DOA. This takes a little while before it will display a picture but during the process you will first see "BOOT" on the channel display followed by the word "LOAD" a few more seconds and you should see a picture on your TV.

Everything seems fine so I am sitting back enjoying this show as he decides to beef it up and take it to the next level. In the box that came with it is a second back plate. This has 2 additional holes for RF connectors to protrude through. There is 5 screws holding the cover on and additional 4 more holding the back face plate. Remove all of these and the back face plate will pop off with the aid of a small screwdriver. Replace with the new one and use the 4 screws to secure it.

Now the tuner gets added. Insert the RF outputs through the holes and secure them with the washers and nuts provided. Next the HD module gets plugged into the socket on the tuner being careful to align the pins and not bend then and the two small ribbon cables get plugged into their corresponding slots. That is it for inside the box and the cover can now be re-installed and the unit can be hooked back up permanently.

He had previously downloaded the latest 3rd party file and had it on a flash drive so he inserted that into a USB port and powered the box back up. From the main menu he selected SW Upgrade and then navigated to the file on the flash drive and pressed OK. The unit asked for confirmation and then went into update mode. First the displays an E and a counter. I assume this is ERASE, and then a second counter is displayed followed by the word "DONE!". Reboot the box by pressing OK on the remote and the box will reboot.

You now have a lot more options available to you in the Main Menu. Select Antenna to configure your satellites and switch settings. His whole system is using legacy type LNBs so set up was easy, Select proper sat, LNB freq., 22Khz was left on auto but could have been turned off as well, transponder freq to get a lock on sat, diseqc parameter was left at None (more on this later), diseqc 1.1 was set accordingly and since no legacy switches that was left at None as well. Your settings should now be saying Locked to : in bright yellow at top of the screen. Press the GREEN button on remote to save and then configure other sats in a similar matter.

He decided to eliminate a 22Khz switch and went with a EMP Centauri 8X1 switch instead and it worked fine. Glad he got to finally use it as that switch has been around for ever and never really 100% compatible on anything he was ever messing with when I have been around anyway.

Sat setup went well until trying to configure a HD sat. No way could a lock be obtained on either one until he scrolled through the transponders looking for a SD one. Ok stranger things have happened and maybe that is the way this unit is configured so he locked those 2 sats in that way instead.

Back at the Main Menu he selected Channel Scan and it proceeded to scan in the 5 sats. This takes a little while so made time for a beer break while it scanned its way through the 5 sats. Twenty minutes later and it was obvious that it failed to scan any HD channels but on the SD side it never missed any and they all seemed to be named properly as well.

At this point it was either unhook everything and pull it apart to double check the LS500 module connections or to continue on and do that later. He opted to test the rest of it first and check the module later. So back at the Main Menu scroll over to the APPS option and select SERVER LIST. Here you can enter your private server info. Just delete the default info and plug in your own connect information. Make sure to select the correct NewCAMD or Nimq_NewCAMD for your provider. Press the GREEN button to save and then EXIT. At this point either enter more server info or EXIT all the way back out of the menu section. Put tv on working channel and wait and picture should pop in. About 15 seconds later and we have lift off.

Both up and running fine. I watched for about another 30 minutes and never seen even the slightest freeze while he played with the various options and this is my take on things at this point.

Pros -
* easy to setup
* very stable picture
* high quality on SD video & audio using HDMI
* full screen audio/video while in EPG and many menu options

Cons -
* EPG needs a lot of work as of yet
* Slow channel changes
* Slower provider changes

I am still not sure what Diseqc Parameter option does in the setup menu and he never really played with it once we had things configured, maybe I will hear more this week but all I know for certain at this point is you have options of A, B, C, D, or a number between 1 - 16

I talked with my buddy this AM and he was telling me he still hasn't seen the slightest freeze on the unit 16 hours later. He is in the process of trying to track down another HD module at present and when he gets one of those I will be there for his next round of testing to see what else this new box will do.

I understand there are 3 different models and this is the low end one. I would say this one is a keeper and if it keeps progressing to address the few minor bugs then it could be around a long time. Anybody looking for a new box should certainly take this one into consideration providing they can live with the few cons mentioned above. If those get resolved in the next few files it will be way ahead of anything else out there. At present the Pinwheel Mini is in the HD race and with the proper support could be there for a long time.

As I learn more about this Linux box I will be adding to my review of the unit. Stand by for that :)

moneybags
08-17-2013, 07:47 PM
On a side note with this It seems when you put a fan on it it seems to freeze when on a pic this box seems to like to run hot and works better that way

Nostradamus
08-17-2013, 08:04 PM
this one doesn't run hot at last report but it is stuck in SD as well

fta4me
08-17-2013, 08:20 PM
thanks for the great guide.

the only thing i did different was to insert the HD ribbon cables into the motherboard first and then added the tuner through the holes

if you put the tuner through the holes first, then it's bitch to put the hd tuner ribbon cables

so world of advice is to put the hd tuner ribbon cables first and then insert through the hole in the back plate

hth

mars25
08-17-2013, 08:47 PM

the only thing i did different was to insert the HD ribbon cables into the motherboard first and then added the tuner through the holes

if you put the tuner through the holes first, then it's bitch to put the hd tuner ribbon cables

so world of advice is to put the hd tuner ribbon cables first and then insert through the hole in the back plate

hth

You have HD working for both 129 & 82?

fta4me
08-17-2013, 08:57 PM
yes i have signal on both

82 is north - of course public there is no north .. you need a private ps for noth
129 is south - yes public supports south

Nostradamus
08-17-2013, 10:17 PM

hth

actually it was done a bit different than that but when writing this I thought people would figure it out on their own. WHat was actually done is cables were pulled from tuner side and installed on the board before the tuner was installed and then plugged into the tuner after the fact. Either way it was either wonky from the get go or got shorted being installed but it is being looked after, when the new tuner arrives I will go to watch and give report on part two and what some of those other apps do :)

fta4me
08-18-2013, 12:17 AM
make sure ls400 is sitting 100% on the dvbs2 board because i have had that issue too

and got no signal on hd on first try

Nostradamus
08-18-2013, 12:43 AM
he already double checked that but I will have him triple check it LOL

Nostradamus
08-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Well I got a phone call from my buddy Thurs night saying he had a new tuner and module. I asked him to wait until Fri evening as I figured it would be a long night. So last night found me sitting in his living room again taking notes while he change the tuner and HD module. The whole process took about 10 minutes and I asked how the box worked on SD for the past week. His reply was he only seen one or two brief freezes during that time period, the box had been on 24/7 for a week and was still only slightly warm to the touch. Two freezes in a week is unbelievable and I assume he has a rock solid IKS provider.

Anyway, back to the task at hand. He hooked the box back up and powered up and whatever channel he had been watching last popped in. Since he couldn't scan the HD sats before he decided the easiest way was just factory default and re-scan everything. An added bonus was this didn't wipe out his server info. He entered his antenna settings and then proceeded to scan. Twenty minutes later, 5 sats scanned, 2499 video channels found. I forgot to write down the radio side of things. I was watching while the unit went through its' scan process and this time it was finding HD channels as well.

I think I was as anxious to see the HD on this unit as he was. Well he hit a few channels on DN. He picked the right channels as they always have th most interesting pics for HD. Science channel, History, and NatGeo usually have some interesting content. Space shots, underwater scenes etc always make for some good HD viewing.

This channel surfing took about 20 minutes and then he remembered there was a football game on so had to check that out in HD as well on TSN.

Totally awesome! Quality wise it was as good as any sub box I have ever seen and we watched the whole game after missing the 1st quarter while we channel surfed. Well 4 beer later, after watching a great game time for me to go home but during my 3 hours observing I never seen a freeze on HD either. No freezes, no micro-freezes, no audio / video sync issues. There is simply none of the common HD video ailments. The box is solid and the private share is solid and it makes for a great combination.

I made a quick phone call this AM to get any more updates before writing this up and was told it is still performing the same as last night. :)

From my observations, and my buddy agrees on this, the box is a keeper and anybody would not go wrong buying one. At the same time, it can still use some work in both the EPG and PVR departments. I know the Pinwheel guys are already aware of this and are probably working on improving that right now. Currently, it is equal to or better than similar products on the market. If they resolve the 2 issues I just mentioned they will be well above what is standard in HD boxes currently.

crazy carl
08-24-2013, 09:26 PM
thanks for your observations Nos

crxplayer
08-26-2013, 04:37 AM
just let me say that the team put alot good ideas and effort on this new hd box Nos

mpjassal
08-26-2013, 12:29 PM
somebody can post the pics of this box.....like epg, manu etc how it look likes

crazy carl
08-26-2013, 03:59 PM
There are some up around the net if you goggle the box you can find a few of them

Shark1959
08-27-2013, 04:43 PM
somebody can post the pics of this box.....like epg, manu etc how it look likes

Here you go found this out there for starters.

Cheers :)

Shark1959

fta4me
08-27-2013, 09:02 PM
comparison image floating around

mars25
08-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Pinwheel PRO has VOD? think red X is shifted left

fta4me
08-28-2013, 12:39 AM
Lol

Just noticed

Vod x shoul be under pro

5aszdale
08-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Will the Pinwheel HD mini work with SW21's and Zinwell 4 x 4's?? I know for now Jynxbox doesn't, was hoping Pinwheel does.

fta4me
08-28-2013, 07:00 PM
Will the Pinwheel HD mini work with SW21's and Zinwell 4 x 4's?? I know for now Jynxbox doesn't, was hoping Pinwheel does.

it does

tested!

samson
08-28-2013, 09:19 PM
how do you program remote for your tv.

bhaveshvac
08-28-2013, 10:52 PM
To program the remote you can press and hold TV and press ok button and TV button will be light up and then u can press channel up and down key on remote when your tv turn off then press ok button and your are all set.

benfica
08-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Wow it worked on my LG...thanx !!

bigbull09
09-10-2013, 11:34 PM
I had problems with my server after I did the third party linux update, and I lost ALL of my server info. How do I add a new server? There are no servers showing at all on the server list, and I can't use the yellow edit button like I usually would. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

velocity9421
09-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Will the Pinwheel HD mini work with a 22KHZ switch?

it does

tested!

fta4me
09-11-2013, 07:11 AM
each time you do sw update

you should back up the channel list and server database

sw update is not same as factory reset

it's like loading the software all over again

fta4me
09-11-2013, 07:12 AM
connected to net ?

get an ip ?

menu
server list

add

BanHammer
09-11-2013, 05:03 PM
there's a small bug, i guess it's more of an oversight really.

for those scanning bev, 82 and 91, the SIDs are backward, the channels on 91 should come before those of 82.

eg. the 82w channels start at 1002 and work their way up to 1933, the 91w channels then start at 2010. this should be the other way around. 91w at 1010-1999, 82w at 2000-2933

re: 2.51 added YouTube to the Apps list. Though I can't get any videos to play

caman52
09-11-2013, 08:30 PM
How do you sort by sid, I have tryed but can,t caman52

bkr™
09-11-2013, 09:47 PM
We need to know what sats you are pointing to...:noidea:

fta4me
09-11-2013, 10:13 PM
How do you sort by sid, I have tryed but can,t caman52

press ok on remote

perss red button that is sort

press all

you are done

blacklistedcard
09-11-2013, 11:17 PM
I had problems with my server after I did the third party linux update, and I lost ALL of my server info. How do I add a new server? There are no servers showing at all on the server list, and I can't use the yellow edit button like I usually would. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yep... I can duplicate the same situation. I backed up my database and then applied the software update 2.51. After the reboot. The server section is blank. You can't use the color buttons.

I did a restore of my database. Rebooted. Same problem. The update 2.51 is useless. Plus all the applications are not useable. Please contact provider is the message being display.

Restoring back to software update 2.3 resolves all the problems. I guess I was too quick to give credit to this team. They are starting to release bad updates

brofro80
09-11-2013, 11:36 PM
u have to be connected to the internet

blacklistedcard
09-11-2013, 11:45 PM
I was connected to the Internet. WiFi was working fine.

brofro80
09-11-2013, 11:50 PM
i didnt have a problem with the file

blacklistedcard
09-12-2013, 12:04 AM
No problem with 2.51 firmware? Did you backup and restore your database? I'm wondering if a factory reset before the software update will help.

But I got the same problem as other users have reported.

Nostradamus
09-12-2013, 12:09 AM
no problem here man. Buddy Just uploaded 251 over 2.3 and loaded and loaded server file and user database and working like a champ

blacklistedcard
09-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Is there a server file backup and restore that is different than using the backup/restore from the menu option?

Nostradamus
09-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Is there a server file backup and restore that is different than using the backup/restore from the menu option?

yes there is... go into server settings and then press EPG

blacklistedcard
09-12-2013, 01:52 AM
Tried it. Pressing EPG does nothing. Looks like the network settings says "connected" but it is not.

Both WiFi and Lab ports don't connect to the Internet. Reload software version 2.3 and it works. Also the time for NTP does not work.

So it looks like the network connectivity does not work for some people. Reboot multiple times and it still does not work. Unplug the device also.

Still testing.... I'll let everyone know if I figure out the problem.

Nostradamus
09-12-2013, 02:18 AM
Buddy had to reset time manually all good now

blacklistedcard
09-12-2013, 02:34 AM
LOL.... Figured it out. For anyone that can't add to the server list and have no titles listed for each button. You have the wrong software load on the box. I had the pro version loaded on my mini. That is causing the problem. Also, it caused the applications section not to work.

I was successful in duplicating the problem.

Everyone, go back and make sure you have the right software loaded for your box. All the three versions of software loads on the boxes.

crazy carl
09-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Well this solves my previous inquiries into hardware differences between boxs..software does matter then and internally there is something different

blacklistedcard
09-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Looks like they go by MAC address. The problem is what happens when these guys don't exist anymore. These boxes will be useless. I guess that's how they control the public vs private configurations

They use the open source as a selling point. They still have not released the Linux kernel and or the SDK.

I'm still enjoying the box. That's the most important thing.

fta4me
09-12-2013, 04:53 PM
if public goes bye bye

good thing there is private still avialble in pro/iptv