PDA

View Full Version : OK this has me stumped

Nostradamus
09-24-2013, 12:37 AM
did anybody ever hear of a receiver that works on static IP and not on dynamic? I never have, I always thought the only way that an internet provider could block a receiver would be by disabling communication ports. one internet provider is saying different however. they are claiming it is dynamic IP setup and if the customer wants to pay another $10 a month they will assign a static IP and make the problem go away. Sounds like a shakedown to me. regardless, other than paying the extra $10 a month the only solution I could come up with would be change internet providers ... ANYBODY?

Anubis
09-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Have to agree something sounds fishy there.

holly2012
09-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Never heard of it before sounds like a money grab to me

1boxman
09-24-2013, 03:22 PM
My question is...why would they be blocking it in the first place...does it have something to do with iks ?/ I would say threw the mac that they are blocking it .

So if they hook up any other receiver..does it work ?

thunder bird
09-24-2013, 04:20 PM
I could be wrong, rerouting your IP Addy.

lobsterpot
09-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Who is the internet provider ?

Terryl
09-24-2013, 06:13 PM
did anybody ever hear of a receiver that works on static IP and not on dynamic? I never have, I always thought the only way that an internet provider could block a receiver would be by disabling communication ports. one internet provider is saying different however. they are claiming it is dynamic IP setup and if the customer wants to pay another $10 a month they will assign a static IP and make the problem go away. Sounds like a shakedown to me. regardless, other than paying the extra $10 a month the only solution I could come up with would be change internet providers ... ANYBODY?

Don't go through any of the IP providers equipment, (their multi LAN output modem, or their router) add a router of your own to the system let it provide the IP addy to the receivers.

That way all the IP provider see's is the router's IP addy and nothing behind it.