PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Antenna

keegster17
11-03-2013, 02:24 PM
I originally posted looking at a 5km wifi antenna, i have changed those plans slightly, can someone recommend a wifi antenna that may cover a mile. I would need to know how to install as well. I have a ddwrt router now, which has been good, but I would look to see if i can get something that will cover more distance. How far or distance does a ddwrt router actually cover? maybe someone could mention a link or direct me were i can pick one of these antennas up.

mechanicman
11-04-2013, 03:38 PM
go to ebay and buy a biquad home made antenna. then go to amazon and buy the alfa wifi network adapter. put them together and you can pick up very far away wifi signals. i have been using for years. the biquad not necessary but really does improve range.

anyonomus
11-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Give this a look..

https://www.caworldwifi.com/1-WATT-USB-WIFI-ADAPTER-WITH-30-FOOT-CABLE.htm[/HTML]

mechanicman
11-04-2013, 03:57 PM
And i use DDWRT also. i have also used the router to scan and had the biquad and other antennas screwed into it.. but it was never as good as the 1 watt alfa usb wifi..
dont forget that if you want to pick up far away wifi signals the source should also be powerful.

hondoharry
11-04-2013, 04:30 PM
I have some fast food chains with wifi a 1/8 mile away across a river with trees on both banks blocking the view. Obviously a clear line of site is optimum circumstance but how much do trees or other obstacles affect the signal? Or is line of sight a must and any visual obstructions makes it impossible?

anyonomus
11-04-2013, 04:40 PM
I have some fast food chains with wifi a 1/8 mile away across a river with trees on both banks blocking the view. Obviously a clear line of site is optimum circumstance but how much do trees or other obstacles affect the signal? Or is line of sight a must and any visual obstructions makes it impossible?

Of course line of site is the optimal scenario and yes objects do interfere with the wifi signal but does not make it impossible.The only way to know is to try it as no one can answer that question but u.

keegster17
11-04-2013, 04:59 PM
anyonomus so which would you advise to go with? Do I just connect to my laptop or router?

anyonomus
11-04-2013, 05:21 PM
anyonomus so which would you advise to go with? Do I just connect to my laptop or router?

If u look at the video on the link I provided u will see a comparison of signal strength out to about .6 of a mile then .8 of a mile with obstructions.. U will also see the difference line of site plays. I don't have one of these and I am presently doing some more research on the AF1 for a better price.. I can keep u posted on the research but If u want to do this right away.I suggest we get Terryl to chime in as he is the resident expert on wifi..Yes according to the explanation u just plug it into your laptop and it extends the view area by quite a bit.

keegster17
11-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Actually Terryl Piped in on a post almost related, my bad for having two similier. But he did recommend same unit. I did check out the video, seems good. I would try either one. Is this antenna OK in your house?, or does it have to be outside? looking for something maybe more stationary, and also something to hook up to ddwrt router maybe, just because doesn't this limit me at home keeping laptop in one place? but whatever works don't want to get picky, as I am not very knowledge in this stuff.

anyonomus
11-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Actually Terryl Piped in on a post almost related, my bad for having two similier. But he did recommend same unit. I did check out the video, seems good. I would try either one. Is this antenna OK in your house?, or does it have to be outside? looking for something maybe more stationary, and also something to hook up to ddwrt router maybe, just because doesn't this limit me at home keeping laptop in one place? but whatever works don't want to get picky, as I am not very knowledge in this stuff.
The antenna can be anywhere u want to put it . The only restriction is the lenght of the USB cable. However no matter what u go with.. More obstructions means less range is all.I will look for your other thread and move this conversation over to it. This apparently replaces the ddwrt router but I can see no reason that it could not be left in place.

Terryl
11-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Hi Guy's...

Well you all must remember that WIFI is a two way street, what ever signal you pick up and try to use you also have to get your signal back to it or it wont do you much good.

Simply taking an antenna and mounting it outside may get you some more WIFI channels to look at but your signal back to them may be way too weak to do any good as far as data transfer speeds.

Most WIFI systems work on the RSSI*, the stronger the RSSI the higher the data rate, most routers and WIFI systems will be at 11 MBPS, some go higher depending on the ISP data plan.

So that said, to go 5 KM your going to need some TX power at both ends, or some very large antennas.

I have setup a system using two old BUD antennas that work fine at ten miles, but this is hill top to hill top, using 25 dBi yagi antennas I have another system going 1 mile through trees.

The first end (my end) is tied into a Amped Wireless 600 mW router with an RG-214 coax going 25 feet to the yagi, the other end has a 1 watt WIFI USB adapter inside a weather tight box mounted on a mast 20 feet off the roof, the output of the WIFI adapter is fed into the second yagi antenna, inside the box there is a DC powered USB hub to supply enough current to run the 1 watt USB device, a USB to CAT5 adapter is then attached to the output of the hub, the data then goes 60 feet down the CAT5 to the CAT5 to USB adapter at the PC and you get data.

So you can see that you have many ways to do this, however what may work for one may not work for all.

If your router has removable antennas then you can play around with all sorts of setups, but rember the longer the coax from the router to the antenna the less signal you will have to work with, this is why they are coming out with the WIFI modems up at the antenna, you have very little signal loss that way.

That is how I get internet service out here in the boonies, I have a very high gain parabolic antenna up on the roof, it has the WIFI modem built inside it, this antenna is pointing to a mountain top about 5 miles away from me, then an outdoor rated CAT5 cable ties into my WAN input on my router (through a POE adapter first) I get a 2 MBPS service (up and down) this way.

Otherwise its a satellite ISP for me.

And too much coffee again, I'm rambling off...........Sorry.

Terryl
11-04-2013, 06:15 PM
One other thing....

Using a WIFI from a local store, cafe or restaurant is not a very secure way to go, everyone using that location will also be able to see you, and a lot of hackers use these locations to do their dirty work, so be very very careful on what your doing online, online banking is not an option using this type of service.

And some places watch who is connecting and for how long, some even have a MAC monitoring system, this tells them who may be using them as an ISP for long term service.

keegster17
11-06-2013, 08:17 PM
I just got one of these of fleabay. WiFi Antenna MACH 1 ALFA G Double Biquad Booster Long Range GET FREE INTERNET. will see how it works? yikes.

Terryl
11-06-2013, 09:45 PM
I have used the Alpha device before, but not that god awful looking antenna, it doesn't look to be outdoor rated so you may need to put it up in the attic.

These are what I use for outdoor, I put the WIFI device in a water tight enclosure.

http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-24-ghz-15-dbi-yagi-antenna-4ft-rp-sma-plug-connector

Or for long runs inside I use RG-214 coax and one of these.

http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-24-ghz-15-dbi-yagi-antenna-4ft-n-male-connector

Then an "N" to "RPSMA" adapter to the router.

keegster17
11-07-2013, 01:21 PM
crap, I never thought about that, it probably is for inside only, to late now, I will try it, and let you know how it goes. unless I can put a enclosure on it?