PDA

View Full Version : satellite through windows

1946eran123
11-05-2013, 06:12 PM
I just moved into an apt that does not allow satellite dishes outside. Is it possible to receive signals through a window

d1964
11-05-2013, 06:37 PM
As long as you have a clear view of south-western sky you should not have a problem attach dish to heavy piece of wood or 5 gallon pale of cement just make sure mast is plumb both ways.

Dish expert
11-05-2013, 06:38 PM
If the window is located at the right position then I guest it should. Lol

Terryl
11-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Not always, some of the newer double pane windows have a very thin metal coating on them to protect against UV and IR damage to the inside furniture, this film although very thin and cant be readily seen will affect the satellite signals trying to get through the glass.

Another problem would be a metal (aluminum) window screen, this would block the satellite signals, try it with the screen off if it's metal.

The down coming signals from the satellites are very very very very weak, that is why you need a parabolic dish to receive them.

If you setup the system and try it out but do not get a signal (zero "Q" or no transponders) from the satellites then try it with the window open, (or screen off) if the system works then the window glass is at fault, (or window screen) you would have to substitute a piece of plexiglass or clear window glass (no UV or IR coatings) to keep the weather out.

1946eran123
11-05-2013, 10:11 PM
thanks I guess its worth the price of a tripod holder. Ill give it a try.

KIDWCKED
11-05-2013, 10:29 PM
thanks I guess its worth the price of a tripod holder. Ill give it a try.

tripod wud be the better way too go..jmo..

kijiji
11-05-2013, 10:36 PM
I set on up on a tri-pod at a friends place a few yrs ago and it worked well but terryl brings up a very good point with newer dbl pain glass and metal.

Terryl
11-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Almost ALL glass is UV coated now,and it won't pass a sat signal well, if at all.Tried it more than once.It can actually bounce a sat signal:a number of years ago,a guy asked me to come by his place to see if he could possibly get sat from his condo.As it turns out, his condo balcony faced south east (in Toronto harbour lakefront), withan adjacent condo facing south west.I got DTV signal (80% on 101 sat) bouncing off the adjacent condo, aming his dish at that condo,which was mostly glass.

This is why I use plexiglass, I make a wood frame to hold it in the window, this is not a good idea to do on a ground floor window as it is an easy removal for someone wanting to get in.

Terryl
11-07-2013, 12:58 AM
This is the FCC ruling.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule