PDA

View Full Version : Samsung LCD issues

keegster17
11-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Guys I have a old Samsung LCd 23" tv for my bedroom, I always attached it to my satellite receiver via component or HDMI. Now I want to hook it up to local cable company via straight cable run, with no cable box, but the unit does not pick up any channels when I run autoscan. What might be the problem? I did google and it seems it seems to be a quit common problem with samsung at one time. There is three settings prio to scanning std, Irc or Hrc, I have tried all combinations, still nothing? Would this be a tuner card issue or a coaxial connection on the tv?

dishuser
11-06-2013, 01:43 PM
does it have the option of choosing antenna or cable for scanning?

clarkie
11-06-2013, 01:46 PM
How do u change the channels for cable???????????????.. with no box

dishuser
11-06-2013, 01:47 PM
How do u change the channels for cable???????????????.. with no box
don't need a box for cable

clarkie
11-06-2013, 02:24 PM
don't need a box for cable

Something i didnt know , guess i have been in the Sat chit for to many years..

keegster17
11-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Yes it has both options antenna and cable, has two coaxial connections on the back of the tv. tried scanning thru both coaxial connections but nothing. odd thing is I do get the odd random OTA channel like channel 4 buffalo station, global or CHCH, which none of these channels you get with a average indoor antenna? It also repeats some of these channels several times.

fn59
11-06-2013, 10:01 PM
google the model number and check if the tuner is capable of picking up qam channels.

Terryl
11-06-2013, 10:07 PM
If you have digital cable then you may need a set top box to get the programming, some but not all CATV company's put the locals on cable for free some don't.

The TV must be set to CATV or cable to get the tuner to see the special bands used by cable TV, the lower TV channels (2 to 13) are in the normal TV bands, the others are in mid, sub, and hyper bands.

Digital cabe uses a different format then normal cable or OTA TV.

look at those two inputs, see if one is labled CATV or cable, use that one and try again.

Also the TV set may be too old to pick up the newer CATV digital channels, you also have to be a subscriber to your local CATV company, or your coax at your house connecting to their service may be disconnected.

keegster17
11-07-2013, 01:18 PM
I have legit cable tv, she is in Brampton, Ontario, and i know I am limited to channels because I don't have a box, but the tv will not scan anything. She has a digital box downstairs, but in the basement on a old tube tv same deal, straight cable to tv and that tv works fine.

fonger
11-07-2013, 02:13 PM
what is the model of the samsung? it could be a monitor, not a tv..

1boxman
11-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Very possible..the first generation lcd did not have digital tuners . Check your model at samsung .

keegster17
11-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Model #: LNT2353HX/XAC

fonger
11-07-2013, 03:38 PM
specs says it has a coaxial. plug it in and auto scan for channels.
if you get nothing, check to see if someone disconnected the splitter. cheers.

Input A/V (Composite), Analog Coaxial(RF), Component Video, Front/Side RCA Composite, Front/Side S-Video, HDMI, S-Video, VGA

keegster17
11-07-2013, 03:54 PM
yes it has two, one for air and one for cable. cable is fine as i plugged in another tv, and it is fine. the is some software upgrades I noticed on website, maybe this would help? Also just missed out on some Capacitor issues that samsung had which included my model, apparently they had some offerings on this and some big payouts, not sure if it would relate to my issue.

Anubis
11-07-2013, 03:57 PM
yes it has two, one for air and one for cable. cable is fine as i plugged in another tv, and it is fine. the is some software upgrades I noticed on website, maybe this would help? Also just missed out on some Capacitor issues that samsung had which included my model, apparently they had some offerings on this and some big payouts, not sure if it would relate to my issue.
Maybe call their toll free number and speak to them about the cap issue. Let them know you were travelling or something. Might be able to work something out?

keegster17
11-11-2013, 09:21 PM
ok lets assume the coaxial i never fix, and that is the problem. Can I run my local cable company coaxial cable via any other way? I don't own a cable box for upstairs or I would run it via composite, any way I can do this?