PDA

View Full Version : Wrt54g router as primary

keegster17
11-21-2013, 03:41 PM
guys how do i setup a linksy's ddwrt router as my primary router? my old one drops signal so I want to use this since I have it lying around. I use to use it as my wifi bridge for sat receiver, but no longer use. i do have it working, but for some reason my vonet wifi for the receiver is not picking up the ip address, I did connect to my laptop and connect to new name and ip address but nothing. I think somewhere I have missed something.

Do i have to have the modem attached to the router? can a modem be wireless so I can place the ddwrt router elsewhere (near the receiver) and use this setup? sorry if dumb question.

joefish
11-22-2013, 05:18 PM
What kind of modem do you have? A lot of the new setups use all in ones.
Modem/router/wireless al in one device. Mine is at&t u-verse (Google motorola NVG510 for example)
Assuming you have something similar you can set you wrt54g as repeater bridge. A good tutorial
here. hxxp://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

keegster17
04-03-2014, 02:59 AM
can someone help me on this, i want to use this ddwrt linksys wrt54g ver.8 router as my home internet router, can someone send me a link to set up, I have a motorola modem sb5100, i always used these for FTa but my old router crapped out, so i want to use this for my *ogers internet. I am not sure if I use client bridge, repeater, etc, and do I create a ip address etc? thanks

keegster17
04-04-2014, 03:01 PM
hep anyone? I mentioned modem, and router?

Newfygarge
04-04-2014, 07:39 PM
What kind of modem do u have.. U need a modem to go to the wrt54g router by Ethernet cable, unless your modem is wifi.

keegster17
04-04-2014, 07:58 PM
motorola modem sb5100

me3bee
04-04-2014, 08:07 PM
As mentioned before , you need to connect this modem to the wrt54g router by Ethernet cable.

jeldf
04-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Hit the reset on the Modem and plug it into the Router and set it up (maybe reset the Router first also) to clear any login/passwords

motorola modem sb5100

Terryl
04-04-2014, 11:07 PM
As Me3bee pointed out, you need a short CAT5 cable to connect to one of the LAN ports on you Motorola modem, then plug the other end of the CAT5 cable into the WAN port of the WRT54G router, then setup the router as needed to run your stuff.

If the Motorola modem has a WIFI in it you will have to turn that off.

keegster17
04-05-2014, 01:23 AM
ok, guys thanks for your patience. Terryl u will need another scotch with me. lol. So for ddwrt setup is what i need help on... do i use client mode AP mode etc.

Terryl
04-05-2014, 04:48 PM
ok, guys thanks for your patience. Terryl u will need another scotch with me. lol. So for ddwrt setup is what i need help on... do i use client mode AP mode etc.

I'm not familure with that modem, nor the DDWRT stuff, so someone with the inside dope will have to go the rest of the way.