PDA

View Full Version : Gary Kubiak fired by Texans

KIDWCKED
12-06-2013, 08:43 PM
The Houston Texans, who own the league's worst record at 2-11, fired coach Gary Kubiak on Friday.

Expected by some to contend for a Super Bowl berth this season, the Texans rallied to win their first two games but have lost a franchise-record 11 straight since.
Owner Bob McNair said defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will serve as interim coach.
Texans owner Bob McNair faces the most pivotal decision he's had as owner of the team in trying to find the right coach to take over what is considered to be a talented roster that underachieved, writes Tania Ganguli

"This has been a very disappointing year," McNair said. "We started with such high hopes. To have this string of losses is unacceptable.
"We normally would wait until the end of year to evaluate our staff; under these extreme circumstances thought best to start the process now."
Kubiak's health also has been an issue this season. He suffered a transient ischemic attack, or "mini-stroke," on Nov. 3 while walking off the field at halftime of the Texans' 27-24 loss to the Indianapolis Colts. He returned to the team after missing one game.
Houston endured its latest loss Thursday night, falling to the Jacksonville Jaguars 27-20, a game in which the Texans committed 14 penalties for 177 yards. The Texans have set an NFL record with seven straight losses by seven points or less, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
"What's taken place with this organization is unacceptable,'' general manager Rick Smith said. "We've got three weeks of an evaluation process left and we've got to right the ship.'"
Kubiak, 52, was in his eighth season, having coached the Texans since 2006. He posted a 61-64 record with the franchise. He was the fourth-longest-tenured coach in the league, behind Bill Belichick, Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin.
[+] Enlargehttp://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1206/nfl_u_kub_1296x864_300x200.jpgTroy Taormina/USA TODAY SportsThe NFL-worst Texans fired coach Gary Kubiak on Friday.

The first head coach to lose his job this season, Kubiak was on the hot seat following the 2010 season as well, when the Texans went 6-10. However, he rewarded McNair and general manager Smith for their patience in him, guiding the Texans to back-to-back AFC South titles the next two seasons and winning the league's coach of the year award in 2011.
McNair said the decision to fire Kubiak -- who signed a contract extension through 2014 last season -- was a hard one.
"It was difficult for me because I think so much of Gary,'' McNair said. "We're here to have a winning culture and this year has not contributed to that.''

Costactc
12-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm surprised it took this long. They were considered on of the AFC bigwigs going into this season.

KIDWCKED
12-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Yeah no doubt bro...i kinda feel bad for him..health issues probably didnt help...but in retrospect this is NFL football...owners want wins and nothing more..cold hearted maybe..but thats the way it is...gl to Kubiak in future endeavours..

alex70olds
12-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Yeah no doubt bro...i kinda feel bad for him..health issues probably didnt help...but in retrospect this is NFL football...owners want wins and nothing more..cold hearted maybe..but thats the way it is...gl to Kubiak in future endeavours..

Fans here in the greater Houston are have been calling for his termination for a few years. Last year just bought him a little extra time. It's been a difficult year as a fan. They are my second team as I am transplanted from NE Ohio. That aint been so good either lol.

KIDWCKED
12-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Jason Campbell apparently reported back...for Sunday...hopefully that helps alex ;)

live2fish
12-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Too bad. Wouldn't say it's 100% his fault as in the end it's the players that are playing the game. Ed Reed didn't help and was released so maybe they do need some new blood on the team. JJ Watt is still the man though. Boy he sure can play.